Delta weather notice for NYC blizzard?

Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Delta weather notice for NYC blizzard?

I am curious to why Delta has not posted a notice for the impending blizzard in NYC tomorrow for customers to be able to change flights for free. Any idea when they would do this? (in-laws in town trying to figure out exit strategy with a Tuesday flight..) All Delta has is the old Northeast weather notice from a couple days ago..

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigw...8#.VMULCUfF98E
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Call and ask, you might get in ahead of the crowd.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sethb
Call and ask, you might get in ahead of the crowd.
I just did...the agent said they are aware of the storm (supposed to be 12-24 inches in metro NYC), but Delta is still analyzing how it will affect operations so has not posted an advisory yet. No free changes until the advisory is posted...and the delay of posting it is rapidly diminishing today's flight options to get out before the storm..
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Delta's meteorology is decidedly more conservative than the gloom and doom forecast of many in the public. And it has benefited them more than several times. Having said that, I expect an advisory this afternoon.

Last edited by indufan; Jan 25, 2015 at 3:47 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: DL DM
I have a JFK-LHR flight Tuesday night. Time to give up on that trip happening?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by stencil
I have a JFK-LHR flight Tuesday night. Time to give up on that trip happening?
If you're paying for change or cancellation penalties out of your own pocket, wait for a waiver or flight cancellation.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
They have an advisory up for the Northeast --- but it's for 1/24 !

Right now wunderground.com indicates there's just a blizzard watch, but that'll change later in the day.

These weather patterns sometimes change -- for example last Thursday they said DTW was going to get 3 to 5 inches today (1/25) and they were off by that amount -- just flurries now.

Bob H
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you're paying for change or cancellation penalties out of your own pocket, wait for a waiver or flight cancellation.
It's an award trip and I'm Platinum, so there'd be no outright fees, although the only other trips available before the storm are twice as much in miles at this point.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:11 am

I don't know just how bad the blizzard is going to be on the east coast, but the papers are saying it's going to be a doozy.

Northwest used to cancel flights before major winter storms and park the planes, w/ crews around the country. They'd usually be the first airline back in while other carriers were still digging out.

NWA FA

Fly Safe!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Perhaps an announcement will be made after the flakes start hitting the ground.

In the meantime, there is revenue to be made by collecting change fees from prudent folks seeking to make timely alterations to their plans.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:17 am
Suspended

Weather waver is up. The entire East Coast is mentioned, from DC to Bangor.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: DL DM PM
I'm going up to DCA tonight (from ATL). Do things look ok?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Turbo Diamond, Functioning Alcoholic, Hertz Pres Circle (When they have cars), Marriott Lifer
This one is going to cause issues thoughout the system for sure. On weeks like this, first class upgrades get scarce, but then all of a sudden you get on a flight with like 12 open FC seats. I'm already upgraded on all mine this week, but I guess Delta could take them away since I didn't pay for them...
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Turbo Diamond, Functioning Alcoholic, Hertz Pres Circle (When they have cars), Marriott Lifer
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
I'm going up to DCA tonight (from ATL). Do things look ok?
depends when you want to leave there.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by Unexpected Rough Heir
depends when you want to leave there.
yup that may be a problem. I'm leaving Tuesday night but really I'm just concerned about making my a.m. meeting tomorrow. An extra day in DC doesn't bother me. Like you, UGs both cleared on the return, neither cleared on the outbound with no chance of a BFUG.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.