Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Only Diamonds can now request medallion upgrade JFK-LAX/SFO - effective immediately

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only Diamonds can now request medallion upgrade JFK-LAX/SFO - effective immediately

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
A - That was one of the best parts of the merger is that DTW became a viable option for going to New England. Granted there are some secondary European markets that DL only flies to from JFK, but you can fly AF or KL and connect in CDG or AMS instead.
B - I'll never have a meeting in NY since my industry has no footprint in NYC. The last time I was in NY was for a weekend trip in 2012. I just really hate JFK as an airport. It's the most disorganized pile of terminals I've ever seen.

For some reason LAX/SFO - JFK is the most discussed routes on here.
Points taken. I love having meetings in NY, i mean the airports blow but the city is fun And its prob the most talked about as its the only domestic BE route(s).
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:28 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sngorman
As a PM who does 95% of his flying between LAX and JFK, this really sucks... Makes me regret being 3500 MQM short of DM last year.
Would you consider divulging, as a PM, what % of the transcon nonstops you were upgraded on, and, perhaps, how high of a fare class you normally purchase?

Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by javabytes
These upgrades happened at the gate only, so I'm not sure I understand the comment in the context of this thread.
I thought they were happening at the window now. BTW, I was only giving a reason why a DM would like the fact that a PM wasn't getting upgraded. Like I said, I assumed these were at the window. I never fly those routes anyway so none of it matters to me.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
For some reason LAX/SFO - JFK is the most discussed routes on here.
Perhaps because these two routes have the highest paid premium traffic in the country, and as such the premium product far exceeds typical domestic F?

Back OT, I can't say this change is all that big of a deal to me. As a DM I'm usually not clearing these routes, and dropping to PM I wasn't expecting to clear to all. My new strategy is K+miles when OP is available, paid J (not necessarily DL) when necessary, EC (or equivalent elsewhere) otherwise.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Delta Points
Stared as of today. Only Diamonds can now request medallion upgrade JFK-LAX/SFO. Effective immediately & does not matter when you got your ticket.
That sucks. Just as I'm about to drop to Platinum.

I guess Delta no longer wants my business. Watch it get much less than last year.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by sdadept
I like it. This rewards the very best customers.
This makes no difference to the best customers (Diamonds always got upgraded ahead of Platinums).

It might explain why I was halfway down the upgrade list last Sunday (unless there were more Diamonds than Platinums on that flight).
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MLCJ
Don't feel bad, I was at $118k last year and didn't get it. Who knows..
179k here...not even a Porsche =(
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:07 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ab_initio
You spent $179,000.00 on Delta tickets last year?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott TE, and Reformed AMEX Cent
I think this is bad news for DMs as it encourages PM to pay for F.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:42 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by davetravels
Holy !#%*+!!!

Seriously??????
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't that enough to buy yourself a Porsche?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: DL GM .75MM, HH D, IHG GE, Nat Ex, ePlus
Wink

Originally Posted by davetravels
Originally Posted by 355F1
Holy !#%*+!!!

Seriously??????
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't that enough to buy yourself a Porsche?
Reading through these threads, it is apparent that people confuse AmEx spend with MQD.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
On a lighter note: earlier this month as I was heading to my seat 1A on JFK-SFO I spotted a guy already occupying my place. Later he revealed that he is a Plat with an upgrade who really thought that 1B is a window seat. The 1B guy spent most of the trip reading Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged with his feet on the screen (he used socks from the amenity kit though) ... if the new upgrade eligibility rule keeps such people in the main cabin, I ll be happy.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: DL DM
Just as a data point, I'm on board the 7am JFK-SFO flight today. It went out with about 110 empty seats, and (IIRC) 13 of 16 seats empty in F. As I'm FO, I'm sitting in the back, not eligible...at least I've got the great row 35DEF seating on the 752, which is better than E+ IMHO.

I was a little surprised to not get any FCM offer at any point during purchase or check-in, with all of the empty space up front.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yohanson
I thought they were happening at the window now. BTW, I was only giving a reason why a DM would like the fact that a PM wasn't getting upgraded. Like I said, I assumed these were at the window. I never fly those routes anyway so none of it matters to me.
JFK-SEA has been switched back to a normal upgrade rather than the super-double-secret upgrade, so it's possible for those upgrades to happen at the window (my flight tonight upgraded at the window). Mostly, though, they happened at the gate - during the before-time (admittedly as a PM) I got upgraded at the window I believe 2 times. In 2012, flying for New Year's Eve JFK-SEA, the upgrade still went to the gate even though there were 7 seats open and 8 on the upgrade list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.