Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Only Diamonds can now request medallion upgrade JFK-LAX/SFO - effective immediately

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only Diamonds can now request medallion upgrade JFK-LAX/SFO - effective immediately

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
which is fine. Different strokes for different folks. Some people prefer to fly Spirit Air, some prefer Frontier, UA and so on and so on. Everyone has their reason for choosing the airline they fly and the cabin they fly in. There is no right or wrong. Whatever fits your budget and your logic.
Maybe you missed the point. I'm not alone and Delta gets it....sometimes. Sometimes not.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
not so sure what the above has to do with comp upgrades on JFK - LAX/SFO but I will tell you this, I have no problem spending more money for a product that is better then the competitors.
There are people who are more likely to fly DL on those routes (or on other routes to gain status) if upgrades are available. Making upgrades available for those people would tend to increase revenues.

Most, perhaps all, of those people are unlikely to pay $1200 rather than $400 for a tcon round trip, so Delta isn't cannibalizing its own revenue by allowing upgrades. (Would you refrain from buying J if you had, say, about a 10% chance of a free upgrade?)
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by BahstunDLPT
It's basically turned the achievement of 1M being lifetime Silver into a joke. It's like getting a wedding card without anything inside.
There's about $200 worth of stuff inside.

Lifetime (maybe) Silver is a joke.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sethb
There are people who are more likely to fly DL on those routes (or on other routes to gain status) if upgrades are available. Making upgrades available for those people would tend to increase revenues.

Most, perhaps all, of those people are unlikely to pay $1200 rather than $400 for a tcon round trip, so Delta isn't cannibalizing its own revenue by allowing upgrades. (Would you refrain from buying J if you had, say, about a 10% chance of a free upgrade?)
I dunno, $1200 seems to me to be a fair price for what is a pretty good product. It isn't like it was last year when Delta was much much too impressed with the quality of the service and charged much too much for it. In 2012, I worked my way from no status to silver to gold to platinum, and on the way to gold I flew a fair amount of paid J. Then in mid 2013, Delta started running the recliner seats pretty exclusively between SEA and JFK and I thought I wouldn't get any upgrades but they hiked their prices up to the moon.

For me, the issue is that the $1200 runs into money if you do it a lot and C+ isn't that bad (the flight isn't that long actually). It isn't upgrade possibility. Where's your 10% figure from? Your estimate of the upgrade chances now? I agree that it's at least that low, and right, that wouldn't keep me from buying J. And that's the main reason this may be misguided - taking away upgrades isn't actually going to change anything significantly, so why not let people have that (mostly illusory) possibility?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
I dunno, $1200 seems to me to be a fair price for what is a pretty good product. It isn't like it was last year when Delta was much much too impressed with the quality of the service and charged much too much for it. In 2012, I worked my way from no status to silver to gold to platinum, and on the way to gold I flew a fair amount of paid J. Then in mid 2013, Delta started running the recliner seats pretty exclusively between SEA and JFK and I thought I wouldn't get any upgrades but they hiked their prices up to the moon.
I agree, $1200 is probably a fair price.

For me, the issue is that the $1200 runs into money if you do it a lot and C+ isn't that bad (the flight isn't that long actually). It isn't upgrade possibility. Where's your 10% figure from? Your estimate of the upgrade chances now? I agree that it's at least that low, and right, that wouldn't keep me from buying J. And that's the main reason this may be misguided - taking away upgrades isn't actually going to change anything significantly, so why not let people have that (mostly illusory) possibility?
10% is my estimate of the chances that a Diamond would get a free upgrade JFK-{LAX,SFO} if they were still possible. It might be lower; I wasn't much above that when I was Diamond and they were available.

For Platinums, it's more like 1%.

I really can't see anyone not buying J due to such a small chance of a free upgrade. (In fact, I think it more likely that a DM will take RUCs and use them to upgrade if available at purchase, which would cost a J sale. Also, LAX-JFK upgraded in advance with RUC allows use of the special check-in area, etc., which presumably has some cost for Delta.)
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM

And you know this how? This is the second time that Delta has pulled DM's from complimentary upgrades on the prem transcons. I am guessing they have enough data and intell to suggest otherwise.

In using your example of say having a 10% chance of upgrading, it depends. I don't really think that is an accurate %. In all the transcons I flew after Delta reinstated upgrade status for DM's on the prem transcons, I would say my upgrade % was somewhere around 3 to 5%.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
And you know this how? This is the second time that Delta has pulled DM's from complimentary upgrades on the prem transcons. I am guessing they have enough data and intell to suggest otherwise.
The same infallible data they used the first time and then had to backtrack on?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by javabytes
Plus the analysis from whatever genius thought it would be a good idea to reinstate the upgrades WITHOUT TELLING ANY"BODY and ALSO keeping phone agents in the dark so passengers that knew about it had to run a gauntlet in order to get put on the list.

Those were golden times. I missed ONCE from the first time I flew after the double secret upgrades were initiated until the put SEA-JFK back on the regular upgrade plan. I am sure that at least sometimes I got upgraded above people who would have been higher on the list if they had been put on the list.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And you know this how?
I'm one of them. I exist. The chances that I'm unique in this way are rather low.

In using your example of say having a 10% chance of upgrading, it depends. I don't really think that is an accurate %. In all the transcons I flew after Delta reinstated upgrade status for DM's on the prem transcons, I would say my upgrade % was somewhere around 3 to 5%.
I would guess it's accurate for my schedule, which is mostly JFK-SFO Thursday or Friday mornings late in the year, and SFO-JFK red-eye Monday.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
Brilliant.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM
As a diamond my upgrade rate on LAX-JFK was about 75%. I usually rode K or higher. Fare class was critical as was flexibility on day and time of travel. I'm currently on my last Delta transcon riding in comfort plus with one seat empty in the front.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Architect
As a diamond my upgrade rate on LAX-JFK was about 75%. I usually rode K or higher. Fare class was critical as was flexibility on day and time of travel. I'm currently on my last Delta transcon riding in comfort plus with one seat empty in the front.
Congratulations! You get to join us in the nonexistent club.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Congratulations! You get to join us in the nonexistent club.
The first rule of the nonexistent club......NEVER talk about the nonexistent club
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by The Architect
or, you can man up and choose RUC's. Those plus the GUC's give you plenty of opportunities to upgrade at sLUT fares.

So, since the answer is so easy I am guessing your another one that will switch to AA. With all the people switching to AA, who the heck is going to be left on all those shiny Delta planes? I seriously doubt with all the flyers switching to AA that upgrades will be a cinch to snag as people claim they will be.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

or, you can man up and choose RUC's. Those plus the GUC's give you plenty of opportunities to upgrade at sLUT fares.

So, since the answer is so easy I am guessing your another one that will switch to AA. With all the people switching to AA, who the heck is going to be left on all those shiny Delta planes? I seriously doubt with all the flyers switching to AA that upgrades will be a cinch to snag as people claim they will be.
You can't get RUCs + GUCs as Diamond. (You can get RUCs as Platinum, but only 4 of them.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.