Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Only Diamonds can now request medallion upgrade JFK-LAX/SFO - effective immediately

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only Diamonds can now request medallion upgrade JFK-LAX/SFO - effective immediately

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:24 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bennos
Global Certs, Sky Club membership, 2 RDM per 0.9$, SDC co-terminal, boarding with PREM... combined these are pretty huge. Taking away the rare TCON UG from PM doesn't create an incentive for me to try for DM... it creates an incentive for me to book lowest/best routings regardless of airline.
And you didn't even mention . . . .

Space available upgrades on almost EVERY OTHER domestic flight, + some Hawaii + Canada + Mexico + some Carribean + some Latin American flights - - just NOT JFK to LAX or SFO - - 2 routes in the entire continental USA!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
And you didn't even mention . . . .

Space available upgrades on almost EVERY OTHER domestic flight, + some Hawaii + Canada + Mexico + some Carribean + some Latin American flights - - just NOT JFK to LAX or SFO - - 2 routes in the entire continental USA!
And all of these things apply to other Medallion levels.

I had not been trying to list the benefits of DM vs. PM. Not sure why people responded that way. But I think each person is different in how they value any benefit. For example, the Skyclub membership isn't as valuable to me as other benefits, because on a dollar basis, other benefits are more valuable, e.g. GUCs. For me, I was seriously contemplating moving to AA until they brought back transcon upgrades and created the GUCs, which are valuable to me in a way that SWUs were not.

In my opinion, the value of DM is higher upgrade position and the GUCs. I'm sure others value other benefits differently.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:41 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
And all of these things apply to other Medallion levels.

I had not been trying to list the benefits of DM vs. PM. Not sure why people responded that way.
My post, quoting Bennos, and mentioning all of the upgradeable routes was in response to this post:

Originally Posted by FlySkyTeam
This is unbelievable. Being a platinum no longer has any real benefits.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:17 pm

If you fly a lot SFO-JFK (as I do) then this loss of a benefit is a biggie. If you fly up and down the West Coast then no biggie I suppose. Since most of my trips are actually last minute I'm buying more and more tickets up front which I guess at the end of the day is what DL wants.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott GE
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Just checked today's LAX to JFK flights and there is NOTHING available at all in Delta One.
Tell that to the 2 DMs that were upgraded on my flight today!!!

As a PM that flys predominately LAX-JFK and was about 3,000 miles short of DM last year. Losing this was a huge stick in the eye from Delta. If I had know that this change was coming I would have done a quick MR at the end of last year.

FYI I was upgraded on about 50% of my transcontinental flights last year!
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by sngorman
Tell that to the 2 DMs that were upgraded on my flight today!!!

As a PM that flys predominately LAX-JFK and was about 3,000 miles short of DM last year. Losing this was a huge stick in the eye from Delta. If I had know that this change was coming I would have done a quick MR at the end of last year.

FYI I was upgraded on about 50% of my transcontinental flights last year!
How were they upgraded? Did they use GUC's? If they did then that is big. If you don't know how, then you really shouldn't speculate. Also, a 50% upgrade % I doubt. Unless you were on a Y fare and getting upgraded ahead of DM', my % was an abysmal 15%. Plus, like I said earlier, Delta has more people paying for J on premium transcons so there .00000001% chance a PM would get upgraded.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott GE
How were they upgraded? Did they use GUC's?
No idea, I was responding to someone telling me that there we no open DO seats on that day. I do know there that there were 5 on the upgrade list and two were upgraded.

2 weeks ago I used 12,500 miles to grab the second to last of 6 available DO seats. The last one went to a Non-Rev deadheading back to LAX.

Also, a 50% upgrade I doubt.
WHY? WHY ON EARTH WOULD I LIE ABOUT IT!!!! I'm always amused by people on this website accusing others of lying.

Its all about timing, particularly taking the last flight out (DL 427), generally I flew on a K+ fare, never anything above a S.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by sngorman

WHY? WHY ON EARTH WOULD I LIE ABOUT IT!!!! I'm always amused by people on this website accusing others of lying.

Its all about timing, particularly taking the last flight out (DL 427), generally I flew on a K+ fare, never anything above a S.

Hahah -he is just salty jealous. I love reading that kind of stuff and the response to them.

And you're right, "Timing is key...thats why I have no kids..." - sorry I just had to.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DIA, HHonors DIA, Marriott PlA
Originally Posted by bennos
As a DM who dropped to PM, I agree with this assessment. While I was still DM I was regularly missing these upgrades, which makes removing them from PMs yet another unnecessary stab in the back, especially since PMs don't even have the option to get UG certs usable on this route any more.

I no longer adjust my travel patterns to fly times to maximize upgrade chances. I'd rather spend more time at home (or my destination, when appropriate).
+1 As a DM, I'VE NEVER gotten the DM UG. What DL is teaching DM's to do is to fly in the back of the airplane in EC+. They create revenue from FC and devalue DM membership. I've actually resigned myself to EC+/EC and learned in the 10 flights I've taken to just relax and it's not so bad.

BUT, by getting me used to EC then I won't need DM status and start to look for options, cheaper flights, and look at other airlines.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by flyingweekly
+1 As a DM, I'VE NEVER gotten the DM UG. What DL is teaching DM's to do is to fly in the back of the airplane in EC+. They create revenue from FC and devalue DM membership. I've actually resigned myself to EC+/EC and learned in the 10 flights I've taken to just relax and it's not so bad.

BUT, by getting me used to EC then I won't need DM status and start to look for options, cheaper flights, and look at other airlines.
And a year later the empty threats continue..... And BTW how did those ads in the NY papers turn out?

So on a flight from PHX-ATL, tomorrow FL846.

8 Seats available in FC within 24 hour window and no UG.
No UG at 5 day availability

Thanks again DL. Thanks for making it easy for me to make sure the everyone I talk to I remind how bad DL is.

Thanks for making the program now the worst and making it easy for me.
I
8 seats in FC, and now upgrade at 5 day or 24 hour window?

Every survey you send me, I make sure I say I will NEVER recommend DL. I'm stuck for 2104, but not for 2015.

NOTE: Yes trolls, you will respond with the same ignorant responses:
1. More UG's for me. NOPE you're still not getting them either
2. Move on. I will, next year.
3. Stop whining, nothing you can do. BS. Be loud about how bad DL is.

Finally, I'm working with my advertising agency to create an ad to be placed in the NYT and the WSJ. I'll be hoping to start a non profit who's membership is made up of DL DM's who are tired of the BS and make a statement.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by sasohal
Hahah -he is just salty jealous. I love reading that kind of stuff and the response to them.

And you're right, "Timing is key...thats why I have no kids..." - sorry I just had to.
the last time I got jealous was back in 6th grade when my best friend wound up taking my girlfriend to the dance. I suppose a PM's % can be 50% if your basing it on 2 flights and he wound up getting the one UG on the 6:20 AM LAX to JFK. Other then that, nowadays, a PM wouldn't stand a chance, nor does a lowly DM for that matter either. I was on one of the red eyes LAX to JFK last night. That flight was sold out in J since last week!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

When I was DM, I sometimes got it (between JFK and SFO). I suppose I could go back and figure out the percentage.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by sethb
When I was DM, I sometimes got it (between JFK and SFO). I suppose I could go back and figure out the percentage.
I find JFK-SFO to be an easier upgrade than JFK-LAX.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
the last time I got jealous was back in 6th grade when my best friend wound up taking my girlfriend to the dance. I suppose a PM's % can be 50% if your basing it on 2 flights and he wound up getting the one UG on the 6:20 AM LAX to JFK. Other then that, nowadays, a PM wouldn't stand a chance, nor does a lowly DM for that matter either. I was on one of the red eyes LAX to JFK last night. That flight was sold out in J since last week!
That explains a lot.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by HongKonger
That explains a lot.
Sounds like a searing experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.