Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Only Diamonds can now request medallion upgrade JFK-LAX/SFO - effective immediately

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only Diamonds can now request medallion upgrade JFK-LAX/SFO - effective immediately

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It was always the case that some people needed to call DL, contact the twitter team or ask the GA to get onto the list. The fact that you didn't appear automatically doesn't prove anything if you didn't try to collect the situation.
That might be true, but if that's the case, it would be a departure from the previous 20 cross country flights I had taken when I saw my name on the list.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Yesterday, SFO-JFK: I (DM on V fare) was originally 5/6 for 4 seats. At boarding, I was 2/3 for 0 seats. After boarding, the GA came on board and upgraded one person.

So it appears that only DM (maybe PM on Y fares) get upgrades, and they clear DMs in preference to non-revs (there were several on the standby list).
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by citationneeded
That might be true, but if that's the case, it would be a departure from the previous 20 cross country flights I had taken when I saw my name on the list.
Between JFK and one of SFO/LAX/SEA? That's amazing. You need to start playing the lottery and go to Las Vegas and play Keno and bet on horses. I've gotten it automatically, but much more often I had to call, and I was lucky to have to call only once.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by sethb
Yesterday, SFO-JFK: I (DM on V fare) was originally 5/6 for 4 seats. At boarding, I was 2/3 for 0 seats. After boarding, the GA came on board and upgraded one person.

So it appears that only DM (maybe PM on Y fares) get upgrades, and they clear DMs in preference to non-revs (there were several on the standby list).
That's good the GA is coming on board and upgrading people from the back.

I would hope they would clear a DM over a non-rev. They should clear a PM over a non-rev as well
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:22 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
That's good the GA is coming on board and upgrading people from the back.

I would hope they would clear a DM over a non-rev. They should clear a PM over a non-rev as well
Some <stockholders> I'm sure would disagree with all of the above.

Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by davetravels
Some <stockholders> I'm sure would disagree with all of the above.

Well seeing that Delta originally eliminated upgrades on this route, and as a result two people in Burbank office switched over to American costing Delta probably over $100K in business (all their business and their families vacation business went to American along with the business of other people in our BUR office for work trips), a shareholder should be happy they are upgrading their best customers over someone not bringing in revenue to Delta.

Most businesses don't have policies like that shareholder's that allow them to buy first class tickets
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
<SNIP> <SNIP> . . . . a shareholder should be happy they are upgrading their best customers over someone not bringing in revenue to Delta.
Well, I was referring to a particular stockholder . . . . .
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
Well, I was referring to a particular stockholder . . . . .
I know and that is why I made the comment about most companies not allowing their employees to fly first like his. WFBF is a lot different when it's coming out of the employees pocket than the employers
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Delta Points
Yep. have now confirmed the change with Corporate Communications MGR with Delta. Was told those who don't know about change will know know soon and - "It should become very consistent, very quickly."
Has anyone else confirmed this change? I have no reason not to believe the OP - just curious if we should expect anything official from DL. I'll ask my DL insider next time I run into that person - to see if they hear anything from the DL employee side.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Consistent and quick application of new policies is not DL's strong suit.....
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Well seeing that Delta originally eliminated upgrades on this route, and as a result two people in Burbank office switched over to American costing Delta probably over $100K in business (all their business and their families vacation business went to American along with the business of other people in our BUR office for work trips), a shareholder should be happy they are upgrading their remaining best customers over someone not bringing in revenue to Delta.

Most businesses don't have policies like that shareholder's that allow them to buy first class tickets
Fixed it for you!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: DL DM | FB Platinum
so dumb question: can you now request in advance or do you need to wait for OLCI and request to be added to the list?
Just tweeted @DL and was told request had to be made at the airport
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Gwilly
so dumb question: can you now request in advance or do you need to wait for OLCI and request to be added to the list?
Just tweeted @DL and was told request had to be made at the airport
"Only at the airport" seems to be wrong. Try calling the DM line. With twitter, it's hard to do the equivalent of HUACB, although you can wait for a shift change so that you get someone else.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Between JFK and one of SFO/LAX/SEA? That's amazing. You need to start playing the lottery and go to Las Vegas and play Keno and bet on horses. I've gotten it automatically, but much more often I had to call, and I was lucky to have to call only once.
I too had been automatically added to the upgrade list for JFK-SFO/LAX for all but one of my last dozen flights to the west coast. And that one time I wasnt, I was traveling on the same COnf #as my wife.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:16 pm

Just a tad of an update on the transcons . . . .

I flew last Saturday LAX/JFK first flight of the day, which is 6:50 AM. I was in a night club til about 2AM with a DL FA friend. When we left the club, I was pleasantly surprised to find I was actually on the UG list automatically! Yay! I was expecting to hafto call!

I was #4 for 7 or 8 seats***! My UG cleared as I was leaving the SkyClub, and the desk agent printed a new BP for 1D.

Observation: I #4 out of 4 on the UG list (V fare), but that there was NOBODY after me at all, indicating to me that there were no PMs on the list (unless there were no PMs on a B763 at all).

It was a FANTASTIC flight, with simply amazing FAs working up front, who I had the absolute pleasure of chatting with for probably an hour and a half about DL stuff, etc. The lead FA is doing a pilot for Showtime in NYC - I wish him nothing but success in his acting career!

DT

***Also, the remaining BE seats did not go out empty. How is that possible?!?!?

Last edited by davetravels; Feb 12, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.