Wiki Posts
Search

Ethernet Port on planes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:38 am
Used to be 'Mark Fetters'
Original Poster

Ethernet Port on planes

I have noticed that a lot of planes have ethernet ports on the planes. I got off a 777 yesterday and saw it and I know the 767 has it. what is the purpose of them?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Mark2fly1034
I have noticed that a lot of planes have ethernet ports on the planes. I got off a 777 yesterday and saw it and I know the 767 has it. what is the purpose of them?
Back in the 2006-2007 time frame when Delta on Demand was initially installed DL probably thought there was some possibility that wired connections would be the standard for onboard connectivity.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
They're most likely just service ports for the computers driving the seat-back TVs.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: DL
In 2007 Wi-Fi wasn't even approved for use in flight, and many of these power ports are installed based on older, approved ($$) designs (that include Ethernet). If I'm building out a plane in 2006, I'm not going to bank on approval of a 1999 technology for use in-flight. Satellite-based in-flight Internet has been around since 2001 (without Wi-Fi). The ports are now essentially obsolete via approval of wireless technologies.

The purpose is the same as in-flight WiFi--on demand content, Internet access, etc.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Virgin America installed ethernet ports at all of their seats on their planes, too, and they haven't actually done anything with them/won't ever.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by realjd
They're most likely just service ports for the computers driving the seat-back TVs.
I think this is what a Tech Ops person told me once.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 6:30 pm

Has anyone plugged their laptop into one of these ethernet ports? Did you get a link light or an IP address?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
You can use those ports to recharge your beeper.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by thesaints
You can use those ports to recharge your beeper.
No idea. If live, could you use for USB power to charge a device?

Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
what is the purpose of them?
They are for plugging an Ethernet cable into.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Oct 2, 2015 at 8:52 pm
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Renes Points
No idea. If live, could you use for USB power to charge a device?

No. Power doesn't ordinarily run over Ethernet, although it's possible to do so in some situations with special power-over-Ethernet injectors that are much bulkier.

The adapters you have a picture of here are simply a way to use alternate cabling or to connect to proprietary routers for management - they do not cause power to be supplied in any way.

The ports on the aircraft are used for administration purposes. Each IFE unit at every seat has its own control board and is effectively an individual computer. The IFE usually boots using information loaded from a server elsewhere on the plane (you can see the Linux boot process sometimes on older aircraft when the power is reset)... but the ethernet port gives TechOps a way to change settings if necessary or load new software at each individual seat.

(It may also have originally been intended as a way to provide Internet connectivity, but that alternate reality certainly won't come to pass in the age of wi-fi )
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Slightly OT but the USB port is more than just power -- when I plug my Android phone in I get a "connected to a computer" type message and my Kindle goes into "connected to a computer mode" and I can't use it for reading. I'm assuming at one point they were thinking of letting you play your own content on the setback screens...
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:55 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Slightly OT but the USB port is more than just power -- when I plug my Android phone in I get a "connected to a computer" type message and my Kindle goes into "connected to a computer mode" and I can't use it for reading. I'm assuming at one point they were thinking of letting you play your own content on the setback screens...
Power-only USB cables exist, although I don't know much more about them than that...
Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:45 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Ethernet ports were used in conjunction with Walkmans...
Old Oct 3, 2015, 2:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Yes, the USB port is a real connection to the IFE device, causing many devices to enumerate and go into sync mode. I don't think DL offers this feature (never tried it), but on some other carriers you can play videos and music off of a USB device on the seatback screen (variously supporting mass storage and/or MTP, depending on the system). This seemed like a much more attractive option circa 2011 or so, when everyone had an iPod full of media but very few people traveled with a tablet...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.