Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta plans to launch LAX-PVG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbn42
I am curious to know why DL wants to start LAX-PVG instead of LAX-PEK. There are already three airlines flying LAX-PVG, and DL will be the fourth. LAX-PEK has only one airline, and no US carriers, and I believe PEK is almost as big a market. Is it some regulatory issue on the Chinese side?
I assume the reason is the issue with commercially viable slot times at PEK. When AA began ORD-PEK, the government official in charge of slots changed the times AA was expecting (afternoon arrival at PEK and departure two hours later) into 1:00 am arrival at PEK and 3:00 am departure from PEK. Those times were nonstarters and they would necessitate non-viable departure times and arrival times at ORD. Since the flight began, AA has moved the timing slowly toward more reasonable times for a flight to/from the USA. And the Chinese government executed the official in charge of slots for bribery and corruption (like his predecessor).

Plus, PEK wouldn't affect AA as much as LAX-PVG will.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, if DL sets up DTW to be a gateway for flights to Asia rather than forcing everyone through SEA. .
Huh? How is DTW not a hub/gateway to Asia? DTW has nonstops to all of the same Asian destinations as SEA except for HKG right now. It also has NGO, which SEA doesn't have. In fact, there are more seats from DTW nonstop to Asia per day than there currently are from SEA to Asia.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
On the quarterly earnings call today, Delta expanded a little on its thought process on this route announcement. In particular

This Spring, Delta will relocate to be in the same terminal as MU in PVG — no longer off on its own. This will cut down MCT between flights and should ease the need for people to pick up and recheck bags. Delta is already connecting about 200 passengers per day onto MU at PVG — and they expect that to grow.

Also, Delta is opening a new maintenance facility in PVG, and this flight well help feed that.

They also mentioned the visa relaxation as well as some time that an airplane was sitting on the ground in LAX. So, in some ways this is "utilization flying" — believe it or not.

Last edited by jrkmsp; Jan 20, 2015 at 11:20 am
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does CZ use the same terminal at PVG as MU? I would guess yes, but does anyone know? Also, do MU and CZ have separate (SkyTeam) lounges at PVG?

The statement about connections onto MU without mention of CZ (which is based at CAN, but has lots of flights at PEK, PVG and SHA) seems strange. I wonder whether a JV with only MU is in the works, but this is just speculation.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does CZ use the same terminal at PVG as MU? I would guess yes, but does anyone know? Also, do MU and CZ have separate (SkyTeam) lounges at PVG?

The statement about connections onto MU without mention of CZ (which is based at CAN, but has lots of flights at PEK, PVG and SHA) seems strange. I wonder whether a JV with only MU is in the works, but this is just speculation.
No JV until the US and China have open skies — which isn't happening any time soon. I believe MU and CZ both use the same terminal at PVG (I've been there once, but it was early in my frequent flyer days) and I believe they share lounges as well, but I've never really been able to figure out the Chinese lounge situation exactly.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:49 pm

plan travel to PVG this summer, when can I book it?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
No JV until the US and China have open skies — which isn't happening any time soon. I believe MU and CZ both use the same terminal at PVG (I've been there once, but it was early in my frequent flyer days) and I believe they share lounges as well, but I've never really been able to figure out the Chinese lounge situation exactly.
CZ is at T2 now, although since MU provides more connection opportunities for DL, moving to T1 makes sense for that reason, although I prefer T2 personally.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Longboater
If this goes through, you can kiss NRT-PVG goodbye. PDX-NRT won't last much longer either. With SEA-TPE likely starting next year and possibly SEA-MNL, NRT will be left with beach markets and BKK and SIN.
I can't image this going away. DL wants to take advantage of:

1. NRT being their intra-Asian hub, so travelers from PVG to some other Asian destination must use NRT

2. Chinese travelers visiting Japan
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:37 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mnredfox

1. NRT being their intra-Asian hub, so travelers from PVG to some other Asian destination must use NRT

But by that logic, then why did DL drop NRT-PEK, and before that NRT-ICN, and before that NRT-PUS? (On those routes, just like on NRT-PVG, there is alternate SkyTeam service already.)
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA

Unfortunately, there is no money to be made for an airline like DL (or UA for that matter) on intra-Asian traffic. They are handicapped by having only one flight a day in each of these markets at not-the-best times, and hence will only attract the cheap traffic; business travelers will stick with 'home country' airlines which can offer more frequency, better times, direct flights, etc.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold

I am quite certain DL has little to no interest in intra-Asian connections. They likely have barely more interest in competing for China-Japan tourists.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select

They have dropped NRT-PUS, NRT-ICN, NRT-PEK, NRT-HKG, will dump NRT-TPE once they launch SEA-TPE next year, and will dump NRT-MNL if try to fly SEA-MNL. If I am not mistaken, I believe they route the 767 PDX-NRT-PVG-NRT-PDX. Once PDX-NRT ends, NRT-PVG goes with it. I'm surprised PDX-NRT has lasted this long. Must be the continued subsidy from Portland. ANA is likely to enter with market will the Dreamliner once Delta exists. Would probably turn the route into a profitable route with the better connecting NRT hub and far more economical plane than the gas guzzling 767.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Originally Posted by Longboater
They have dropped NRT-PUS, NRT-ICN, NRT-PEK, NRT-HKG, will dump NRT-TPE once they launch SEA-TPE next year, and will dump NRT-MNL if try to fly SEA-MNL. If I am not mistaken, I believe they route the 767 PDX-NRT-PVG-NRT-PDX. Once PDX-NRT ends, NRT-PVG goes with it. I'm surprised PDX-NRT has lasted this long. Must be the continued subsidy from Portland. ANA is likely to enter with market will the Dreamliner once Delta exists. Would probably turn the route into a profitable route with the better connecting NRT hub and far more economical plane than the gas guzzling 767.
PDX-NRT is not subsidized. Nike and Intel in Portland have a HUGE contract with Delta and only book their employees on nonstops to Asia. PDX-NRT-PVG and PDX-NRT is very popular for Nike employees. If Delta pulls PDX-NRT, Nike will likely pull their Delta contract. ANA will probably enter PDX-NRT if Delta pulls out. Better connecting opportunities anyway.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: UA,DL
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Why wouldn't DL choose to fly LAX-PVG rather than JFK-PVG? Both airports have the same Chinese airline partners. The 77L can be used on both routes. all things being equal (I know they aren't), one would think that there would be more O&D demand from JFK.
I think one reason DL wanted LAX-PVG instead of JFK-PVG was the fact that UA was going to get a second frequency out of SFO-PVG meaning DL and MU were going to be at a serious disadvantage as UA would be operating a 747 and a 777 combined with the 789 through LAX compared to MU's lone A332 so DL and Skyteam wanted to get more flights into LAX-PVG.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Tanaka07
PDX-NRT is not subsidized. Nike and Intel in Portland have a HUGE contract with Delta and only book their employees on nonstops to Asia. PDX-NRT-PVG and PDX-NRT is very popular for Nike employees. If Delta pulls PDX-NRT, Nike will likely pull their Delta contract. ANA will probably enter PDX-NRT if Delta pulls out. Better connecting opportunities anyway.
Was PDX-NRT ever subsidized? Thanks for the info! Didn't realize how Nike and Intel have sway over this flight. Well, maybe NRT-PVG does have some life left in it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.