Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Possible Mistake: Delta Sometimes Showing Near Unlimited Partner Availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Enough

I posted this on my blog, Don't Call the Airline!

Update I: The incognito searching (with Chrome) was just my computer acting up. It looks like you do NOT need to do any special searching tricks to find this availability.

Update II: There's also plenty of availability from the USA to Europe, Asia, and some to Australia on DELTA in low economy class for many passengers.

One of my part-time jobs is as an award booker. I was recently working on a file using Delta Skymiles, and was facing a number of oddities on the Delta.com website. For example, there was a Virgin Atlantic flight that I wanted. It wasn’t appearing on a normal Delta search, nor was it showing as available to the Delta phone agents. However, if I put my browser into incognito mode, logged out of my Skymiles account, and searched initially using the “flexible” search option, that flight showed up, and showed up as bookable (and booked!)

Here’s an example: if you search for LHR-JFK on July 2nd for FOUR passengers normally, VS 3 will not show up as available in business. However, if you restart the search in incognito mode and using the flexible search option, not only will 4 seats show as available, but 9 will as well! It’s also interesting to note that there are 9 seats available in business on Virgin Atlantic LHR-JFK almost every day in the calendar!

OK, now here’s another interesting one. I’m seeing the same 9 seat business availability on Air France, for example, CDG-JNB.

That’s 9 seats! Now, let’s look at the ExpertFlyer availability, which shows only 4 business seats available for that flight.

What’s really amazing – these flights aren’t just phantom, THEY’RE TICKETING

Here’s another one with Korean Air (which seems less available with this mistake, but still there for 9 people sometimes!):

This flight shows as NO AVAILABILITY (even for 1) on KVS!

Last edited by durberville; Jan 7, 2015 at 10:12 pm
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note that for some carriers and some fare classes, the maximum number of seats that EF shows is 4, not 9.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Note that for some carriers and some fare classes, the maximum number of seats that EF shows is 4, not 9.
On July 2nd, EF shows 7 O available for CDG-JNB... (also shows 9 available on Delta)

Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/AA Platinum, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Do they really ticket?? You got ticket #s?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerryhze
Do they really ticket?? You got ticket #s?
Yes.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I looked at a TPAC BE 2 days ago and there was some availability on KE showing, but the return was off by one day so I did not grab it. Yesterday every flight was open so I grabbed the exact days I wanted.

Do not yet see my ticket on KE (though that website is a bit screwy, time will tell).
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I saw this too on TPAC routes. Absolutely crazy good availability for multiple seats in J on partners for next year. I had just booked 5 CX awards for next Fall and so was doing the search on DL as I do every year usually to remind myself why I shouldn't accrue too many Skymiles ;-) If this isnt a glitch then maybe its time to rethink that!
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
AS seems to be working normally and matches Expertflyer
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium
Looked for SFO-LHR in J on VS over a few week span, couldn't find any availability...
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hbtan
Looked for SFO-LHR in J on VS over a few week span, couldn't find any availability...
I'm seeing 9*Y for that flight, but not in J.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by durberville
I'm seeing 9*Y for that flight, but not in J.
Ah, guess luck didn't go my way this time - good find though!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Another example: 5 seats available almost every day in May/June (it probably goes way beyond that, just haven't searched more) on VA LAX-SYD in J.

Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Thanks to this thread, I went online and booked my vacation this year.

Nov.
PDX-SEA-ICN-BKK

Dec.
HKG-ICN-LAX-PDX

2 J/F tix (except PDX-SEA) at level 1 award level. Asian flights on KE.

CZ was bookable too a couple days ago, but not now.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
CZ awards started to show up on the website again a few days ago.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 5:51 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Thank Partners, Not Delta

Delta just shows the availability that its partners make available. Also, Delta's online booking calendar is doing a much better job of showing the ACTUAL availability.

I've been looking at Australia and South Africa awards on both KVS and Delta for January 2016.

1. I have noticed among VA/VS/KL/KE some crazy good availability like four (or more) in biz and seven (or more) in coach (+CS4, +YS7)
2. What KVS shows is actually bookable on Delta (Delta's website is fixed?!)
3. Availability on Delta's own metal is the usual rare and scattered +1 or +2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.