Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Million Miler Question: Each Year Begins With 25,000 Medallion Qualification Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Million Miler Question: Each Year Begins With 25,000 Medallion Qualification Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:18 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club

Hi all, long long time no post (I lurk periodically). Question. I made MM in 2014 and assumed with lifetime silver I would start out the year already at silver, but that isn't what I am seeing on my profile today, has me starting at zero (and anxiously awaiting my 30K in rollover also). As a MM do we still have to earn silver and really start at 0 each year?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B436 Safari/600.1.4)

You would indeed start at 0 miles, plus any rollover. Having annual complimentary silver does not start one at 25k mqm's.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by Lehava
Hi all, long long time no post (I lurk periodically). Question. I made MM in 2014 and assumed with lifetime silver I would start out the year already at silver, but that isn't what I am seeing on my profile today, has me starting at zero (and anxiously awaiting my 30K in rollover also). As a MM do we still have to earn silver and really start at 0 each year?
Relax!
This happens every year.
The status will be updated and the true/ real status will be reflected between Jan 5-14.
You will start 2015 As Silver Medallion with 5k MQMs as rollover, if I am correctly reading you achieved 30k MQMs as of Dec 31, 2014.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, if OP didn't have at least 25,000 MQMs and $2500 MQDs or the waiver by NYE, there will be no rollover, just guaranteed FO status.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:24 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
ok just saw two conflicting replies (set the rollover aside, I know that will show). How does this work on MM??? If we have silver automatically do we really start at zero and have to earn it again???? Then what is the point?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:26 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Sorry, thought it was clear. I earned around 156,000 MQM last year (so will have the rollover on that) but am more confused by what happens with MM as this is my first year with that also (hit that mid 2014)
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The point is that if your flying drops to 10,000 miles, or your spending to $500, you are still FO (until DL changes the program).
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:29 am

Sorry, thought it was clear. I earned around 156,000 MQM last year (so will have the rollover on that) but am more confused by what happens with MM as this is my first year with that also (hit that mid 2014)
Assuming that you made MQD or the waiver, you will be DM and have the normal DM rollover rules, namely that MQMs over 125,000 will roll. Think of the annual complimentary FO as just an insurance policy. It won't matter unless/until a year comes when you don't quality for GM/FO or higher.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Did you achieve the MQD and at what level?
Or are you using the DL AMEX CC $25K waiver?
If you earned 156k MQM but:
a. Spent between $2.5k -to-$4.999k then you will be Silver, and 156k-25k will rollover to 2015
b. Spent between $5k -to-$7.499k then you will be Gold Medallion and 156k-50k will rollover to 2015
c. Spent between $7.5k -to-$12.499k then you will be Platinum Medallion and 156k-50k will rollover to 2015
d. Spent $12.5k or more then you will be Diamond Medallion and 156k-125k will rollover to 2015

If you are using the DL AMEX CC $25k waiver ... the MQD spend limits do not matter. You will be Diamond Medallion with 156k-125k MQMs rollover to 2015.

Last edited by dd1612; Jan 1, 2015 at 11:44 am
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:35 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Assuming that you made MQD or the waiver, you will be DM and have the normal DM rollover rules, namely that MQMs over 125,000 will roll. Think of the annual complimentary FO as just an insurance policy. It won't matter unless/until a year comes when you don't quality for GM/FO or higher.
Well that bites that it has zero benefit while I am flying ever week!!!! Another DL benefit *roll eyes*. If I have already earned something making me earn it again is just wrong!!!

But appreciate the answers, guess I shouldn't have assumed DL would do this the right way.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:37 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

I made all my requirements, I am a diamond for 2015, that wasn't the question, I am on to earnings for 2016. It was about the impact of MM on where you start the count for the next year, got my answer above, it's useless and I have to reearn what they are claiming they have given me already for my lifetime (a soft term I also realize in DL speak). Thanks for all the info though.

Originally Posted by dd1612
Did you achieve the MQD and at what level?
Or are you using the DL AMEX CC $25K waiver?
If you earned 156k MQM but:
a. Spent between $2.5k -to-$4.999k then you will be Silver, and 156k-25k will rollover to 2015
b. Spent between $5k -to-$7.499k then you will be Gold Medallion and 156k-50k will rollover to 2015
c. Spent between $7.5k -to-$12.499k then you will be Platinum Medallion and 156k-50k will rollover to 2015
d. Spent $12.5k or more then you will be Diamond Medallion and 156k-125k will rollover to 2015

If you are using the DL AMEX CC $25k waiver ... the spend limits do not matter. You will be Diamond Medallion with 156k-125k MQMs rollover to 2015.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Well that bites that it has zero benefit while I am flying ever week!!!! Another DL benefit *roll eyes*. If I have already earned something making me earn it again is just wrong!!!
Making you earn it again?

You will get the same MM gift that most of us have received, a fine piece of luggage suitable for framing. Or maybe you select something else but you do get a gift.

Don't know about you but I am quite happy with Diamond benefits for as long as I fly, then eventually fall back to FO when the regular flying stops. I guess it's a YMMV thing.

guess I shouldn't have assumed DL would do this the right way.
Sorry, just what is this 'right way' that you expect DL to do?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Maybe this will clear it up for you. You get annual complimentary Silver as a MM (note wording a little different than "lifetime" so they can change that in the future at will). You do not get a "25K" boost, you get Silver every year you drop below flying 25K MQMs. You will still have to fly 50K MQM's any year to go above Silver but if you fly 24K MQM's you will still get Silver the next year.

As others stated comp Silver does not apply to rollovers. You have to fly at least 25K MQM's any year to have the additional miles rollover to the next year.

What "good" it is that if any year you fly less than 25K MQM's you still have some status.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:05 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Complimentary Silver (or lifetime silver whichever word you prefer) says to me you start the year already having earned silver (25K being the equivalent). I cant think of anywhere else in my life where when I have been given something complimentary it isn't applied right at the get go.

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Making you earn it again?

You will get the same MM gift that most of us have received, a fine piece of luggage suitable for framing. Or maybe you select something else but you do get a gift.

Don't know about you but I am quite happy with Diamond benefits for as long as I fly, then eventually fall back to FO when the regular flying stops. I guess it's a YMMV thing.

Sorry, just what is this 'right way' that you expect DL to do?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Complimentary Silver (or lifetime silver whichever word you prefer) says to me you start the year already having earned silver (25K being the equivalent). I cant think of anywhere else in my life where when I have been given something complimentary it isn't applied right at the get go.
Oh, for crying out loud, you are granted Silver status immediately..you just have Diamond status that overrides it. No news here. Sorry, you don't understand how it works. Can you actually come up with another place in your life that has a similar type program?

Now, let me argue the other side

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Seriously? A one time gift is the ONLY MM benefit until you stop flying with any regularity. Nothing, not a single other thing. It is pathetic. And, of course, we know how valuable Silver is....nadda. Give us a tiebreak on an upgrade...geez something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.