Search
Old Oct 25, 2015, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Print Wikipost

2015 Upgrade Success Thread or lack of

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
So far as Gold:

1/16 RSW-DTW MD90 X-UPGRADE @ Window (Had to miss flight and re-book new flight for next day)
1/16 DTW-MKE CRJ900 X No UPGRADE-did not make flight
1/17 MCO-ATL 75X X UPGRADE @ gate (Booked T-15 hours)
1/17 ATL-MKE MD88 X UPGRADE @ gate (was 6/10 with 5 seats left T-30 min but got the last seat by time I got to the gate)
1/19 MKE-MSP 319 X No UG 24/35
1/19 MSP-MCO 75X UPGRADE @ Window (also companion, non-medallion, UG @ 48 hours out)
2/28 MCO-MKE CRJ900 V Upgrade @ T-48hrs (did not make flight)
3/1 MCO-ATL 757 Y-IRROP Upgrade @ time of rebooking
3/1 ATL-MKE MD-90 Y-IRROP Upgrade @ time of rebooking
3/3 MKE-DTW 717 V Will report after flight
3/3 DTW-MCO 75X V Upgraded prior to 72 hour window
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
First trip without FCM this year. This is as a Silver Medallion:

Friday GSO-ATL MD-88 X Fare - No Upgrade, #5 on List
Friday ATL-AUS MD-90 X Fare - No Upgrade, #19 on List
Sunday AUS-DTW CRJ-700 X Fare - No Upgrade #11 List

0 for 3 - 0.00% So far
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond,1.8 MM; AA Gold
DM-33 segments since Jan 1 with 18 upgrades and all but 2 of those were BFU. I'm #11 for 3 on my current flight ATL-MSY. Asked SC attendant how I could be #11 and she said it was due to "price of ticket" I thought she meant fare class but she corrected me that as of March 1st it is now all dollar amount and the time of check in as a tie breaker, which explains 0/4 upgrades since Mar 1. Considering my ticket was $1450+ I was in shock that 10 others had more expensive tickets. Sure enough, there was a $1600 and an $1800 ticket and a few irrops ahead of me. Definitely time to switch airlines. I have 2 other flights booked but all my travel will be going to American/US since I'm Phoenix based from this moment forward.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Originally Posted by clinspec
DM-33 segments since Jan 1 with 18 upgrades and all but 2 of those were BFU. I'm #11 for 3 on my current flight ATL-MSY. Asked SC attendant how I could be #11 and she said it was due to "price of ticket" I thought she meant fare class but she corrected me that as of March 1st it is now all dollar amount and the time of check in as a tie breaker, which explains 0/4 upgrades since Mar 1. Considering my ticket was $1450+ I was in shock that 10 others had more expensive tickets. Sure enough, there was a $1600 and an $1800 ticket and a few irrops ahead of me. Definitely time to switch airlines. I have 2 other flights booked but all my travel will be going to American/US since I'm Phoenix based from this moment forward.
Ok, Let's see if we can get any sort of confirmation from this from another person. This would be an interesting new twist.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Until I see it as officially published policy, I have some doubts about this, could be 'interpretation' of the SC attendant.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
Until I see it as officially published policy, I have some doubts about this, could be 'interpretation' of the SC attendant.
2 of the SC attendants agreed it's purely dollar amount when I debated it was fare class and not dollar amount. They repeatedly said that Delta was sending out emails explaining it and that I certainly "should have received the new March 1 rules information". I'll be curious to see if this turns out to be true but it certainly would explain my position on the list for a flight that used to be an automatic upgrade.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
2 of the SC attendants agreed it's purely dollar amount when I debated it was fare class and not dollar amount. They repeatedly said that Delta was sending out emails explaining it and that I certainly "should have received the new March 1 rules information". I'll be curious to see if this turns out to be true but it certainly would explain my position on the list for a flight that used to be an automatic upgrade.
For now it's still showing based on class etc. on the site, guess they did not get around to changing this one.

We'll await the official word from Delta then, let's see what kind of twist they give to this approach now....
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:59 pm

It actually makes sense on where delta is going. So, more miles if you pay more, and more upgrades the more you pay. Do not agree, but it would make logical sense. I don't want to speculate on where this line of thinking will end. Still, I have had sky club agent/phone agents who have misinterpreted the rules before... Time will tell.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
I was going to have my 7th miss of the year yesterday, but 2 separate IRROPS got me the last seat on MSP-YYC. The SC agent had to book it as an F, it was an H to begin with. So for the year 26/32 (81%), the 6 misses, were 1 Y, 2 Bs, 1 M, 1 U and 1 T. I have 2 B segs on Friday and so far no UG, with 3 seats each, so I am thinking that I'll have 2 more misses.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
"B's" are the new "L T U's" or that is how it feels. I am on two segs tomorrow (YYC-RDU), both B fares and avail FC are 2 and 0. I am assuming that I'll miss the UG on the first seg as B's have been unlucky this year.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DIA, HHonors DIA, Marriott PlA
Has the March 1st date made a difference?

I can't say that I've seen it.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by flyingweekly
Has the March 1st date made a difference?

I can't say that I've seen it.
A DM on a B used to be solid and often UG'd at the window. Though I am running at an 80% UG rate so far, most of those have been BFUGs.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by SYRRDU
A DM on a B used to be solid and often UG'd at the window. Though I am running at an 80% UG rate so far, most of those have been BFUGs.
How about a DM on a Y fare with NO upgrade last week? I very definitely see a difference since March 1. It wasn't good from January this year but it's much worse for me since March 1. Was #11 for 0 and #5 for 0 this week without the upgrade (K fare). I'm below 50% on upgrades this year.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:52 pm

How about a DM on a Y fare with NO upgrade last week? I very definitely see a difference since March 1. It wasn't good from January this year but it's much worse for me since March 1. Was #11 for 0 and #5 for 0 this week without the upgrade (K fare). I'm below 50% on upgrades this year.
Wow.. That's crazy. I wonder if it has to do with all of the weather though. I guess ill keep my fingers crossed...
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:59 pm

How about a DM on a Y fare with NO upgrade last week? ...
I have missed 1 Y UG (early Feb) and nearly missed another, but an IRROP caused me to change flights (two weeks ago) and I got the only FC available.

I'll double my misses from the last two years in 3 months this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.