Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changes to BE (new "Delta One") meal service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to BE (new "Delta One") meal service

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2014, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Thumbs down Changes to BE (new "Delta One") meal service

I'm surprised no one else has posted on this. I guess because it's only partially rolled out this far (still in trial mode, I guess).

Apparently (from direct recent experience and so told by FAs and purser) BE - new "Delta One" - meals are being changed to remove the soup/appetizer, remove most of the Japanese meal small dishes, and reduce portion sizes, so all can be served at once on one tray, and there are just two choices now (in addition to the greatly reduced Japanese meal). Dessert is now just ice cream (much lower quality than the earlier one) with no toppings and no other choice whatsoever.

I just experienced that first hand. The FAs told me that it's being gradually implemented as of this month. The FAs confessed that that they don't understand this service downgrade and said that when they first saw it, they checked how much DL charges for BE tickets and that they don't see why DL is doing this massive service downgrade, that is putting DL at a distinctly lower service level compared to all other airlines. They said they've had a lot of unhappy BE customers (who've experienced this new "Delta One" service level) and that they are telling everyone to complain to DL about it (paying for business yet getting premium economy food), as DL doesn't listen to them and never responds when they write it up or submit complaints or suggestions. The FAs told me (their opinion) that passengers have the right to be deeply unhappy and to feel cheated by Delta by this service downgrade, esp. as there isn't a corresponding price reduction (in fact, just the opposite as of Jan 1, as we all know).

To me it seems (pure speculation) that with Delta One, DL is planning to go downmarket and market it as one level (hence, Delta One that is named clearly to obviously be below business class as so is not in the name anywhere) above economy - ie, premium economy food (as all on one tray, but still with very slow service, is), but better seating. However, how is DL planning to that while also jacking up prices by nearly 50%, I can't imagine. The FAs also thought that once the word gets out, it's a disaster waiting to happen, and thus were obviously concerned (and brought it up to me a few times during flight, in fact). This will surely put "Delta One" in a class of its own and way below all other airlines actual (real) business class.

Before anyone asks, this is not on midnight flight departures (where I think this may be already so - thought still it's just as slow as the previous food service), but rather lunchtime departures.

So the service downgrades continue. I wonder what'll be next. May be in a few years no more "complimentary" meals in $6000+ one-way Delta One.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:02 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
if u spend little money to fly delta one, u should be happy with what u get.
if u spend plenty moeny to foy delta onem u should be happy with the skypeos u earn..
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
OP, please identify the route and time of day that had this absurd food serve in D1/BE.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:57 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Xeno
OP, please identify the route and time of day that had this absurd food serve in D1/BE.
I am also curious about the "test routes." Delta would definitely have to update the website.

Not sure how they can "downgrade" service so much as a trial; when the Delta website "clearly" defines a "service standard" for International BusinessElite.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
It makes me wonder if with the change to 'Delta One' and dropping any mention of Business, if DL is going for an innovative new concept of flat bed seats, enhanced entertainment, but less focused on food and at a lower cost of what BE was. Perhaps they've found that most people are willing to forego a multi-course culinary experience in exchange for a more affordable enhanced travel option. Most people just want to sleep anyways.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Most people just want to sleep anyways.
Not on daytime flights. This is a really disappointing turn of events.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
It makes me wonder if with the change to 'Delta One' and dropping any mention of Business, if DL is going for an innovative new concept of flat bed seats, enhanced entertainment, but less focused on food and at a lower cost of what BE was. Perhaps they've found that most people are willing to forego a multi-course culinary experience in exchange for a more affordable enhanced travel option. Most people just want to sleep anyways.
Can understand if the BE flights are 6 to 7 hours duration, especially many of the TATL flights. If I am traveling JFK to AMS ... yes I would prefer just to sleep, after having a nice meal at the airport. MSP-to-AMS is a tad over 8 hours ... just sleeping is again not the answer. Yes, a shortened duration service on the MSP-AMS sector would help in maximizing sleep time.
On the reverse ... AMS-to-MSP is almost 9+ hours ... and a day time flight.

However on flights that are from 8 hours to 12 hours duration, this level of service will be considered atrocious, especially on the TPAC routes, in which Delta competes with many of the Asian Carriers that have top class food & service.
On a longer duration flight, just wanting to sleep is not the norm!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
When you've cut all the other benefits to the bone, what left is there to cut?

Those over entitled front of the plane flyers, will simply be turned into little Oliver's, asking for more.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:17 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I would welcome a faster, efficient service on the US-Europe TATL flights. OP, do you think it was as slow because it was new or was it simply in the way everything was organized?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: DL DM
What was the route/time of day? I don't put a lot of faith in galley gossip. I talked to a friend who is an international purser and she has heard nothing of this
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:31 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
When you've cut all the other benefits to the bone, what left is there to cut?
@:-) Can they use 87 octane instead of hi-test?!?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta MM; HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by RealHJ
I'm surprised no one else has posted on this. I guess because it's only partially rolled out this far (still in trial mode, I guess).

Apparently (from direct recent experience and so told by FAs and purser) BE - new "Delta One" - meals are being changed to remove the soup/appetizer, remove most of the Japanese meal small dishes, and reduce portion sizes, so all can be served at once on one tray, and there are just two choices now (in addition to the greatly reduced Japanese meal). Dessert is now just ice cream (much lower quality than the earlier one) with no toppings and no other choice whatsoever.

I just experienced that first hand. The FAs told me that it's being gradually implemented as of this month. The FAs confessed that that they don't understand this service downgrade and said that when they first saw it, they checked how much DL charges for BE tickets and that they don't see why DL is doing this massive service downgrade, that is putting DL at a distinctly lower service level compared to all other airlines. They said they've had a lot of unhappy BE customers (who've experienced this new "Delta One" service level) and that they are telling everyone to complain to DL about it (paying for business yet getting premium economy food), as DL doesn't listen to them and never responds when they write it up or submit complaints or suggestions. The FAs told me (their opinion) that passengers have the right to be deeply unhappy and to feel cheated by Delta by this service downgrade, esp. as there isn't a corresponding price reduction (in fact, just the opposite as of Jan 1, as we all know).

To me it seems (pure speculation) that with Delta One, DL is planning to go downmarket and market it as one level (hence, Delta One that is named clearly to obviously be below business class as so is not in the name anywhere) above economy - ie, premium economy food (as all on one tray, but still with very slow service, is), but better seating. However, how is DL planning to that while also jacking up prices by nearly 50%, I can't imagine. The FAs also thought that once the word gets out, it's a disaster waiting to happen, and thus were obviously concerned (and brought it up to me a few times during flight, in fact). This will surely put "Delta One" in a class of its own and way below all other airlines actual (real) business class.

Before anyone asks, this is not on midnight flight departures (where I think this may be already so - thought still it's just as slow as the previous food service), but rather lunchtime departures.

So the service downgrades continue. I wonder what'll be next. May be in a few years no more "complimentary" meals in $6000+ one-way Delta One.
I am very interested to know the particular route you flew. Please share.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Why would Delta whittle down the BE meal service when just this month they started expanding, for example, the Blue Smoke menu (which had only been available on JFK-LHR) to other JFK-Europe flights (DUB, AMS, BRU, FRA, ZRH). For those of you who haven't tried it, the Blue Smoke menu is in some ways a bit more elaborate than the traditional BE menu - for example for the Blue Smoke Sundae bar, they now offer a choice of vanilla or Stout (yummy) ice-cream, with a choice of banana toffee or salt-and-pepper hot fudge sauce, brown-butter crumble or malt-fried pecans topping, etc.

BTW, if you get this menu, the Baby-backed ribs (one of the four choices for the main dish) are delicious!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
This does not seem to be the case based on recent experience. Does anyone have an official source of this? Makes no sense, and the service has already been expedited by a course with the appetizer replacing nuts (although rumors are that packaged nuts are soon to be history). Service now takes no more than 1.5 hours...no need to get much shorter except on short TATL evening flights where it is expedited even more.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by TTT
I would welcome a faster, efficient service on the US-Europe TATL flights. OP, do you think it was as slow because it was new or was it simply in the way everything was organized?
You've always had the option of requesting the "express" meal or whatever they call it, if you wanted to get to sleep quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.