Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Severe weather predicted in SE US on Tuesday - do you think Delta will waive fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Severe weather predicted in SE US on Tuesday - do you think Delta will waive fees?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion

Our local weather guy says things are looking rough for Tue. I have a one way BHM-ATL-SAV scheduled Tue night and wondering what your experience is with storms. I could always switch to a one-way rental car.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Waiver for "perhaps a thunderstorm" in ATL? No way.

If that was the case, they would have a permanent waiver from April till August.

Yeah, delays very likely. Bad weather plus xmas travel. But doubt it will be that bad.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
On the other hand they have switched me before the waiver was issued for an impending ice storm (last year at DFW). But I agree that this is not likely given how far out it is at this point. Closer in, bad enough, worth a try.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Very little chance. Thunderstorms usually affect things for a few hours and delays linger the rest of the day but people usually make it to their destination unless they were very late in the day storms and flights. Winter storms can linger for a few days and have significant changes even between the hubs and sometimes even affect multiple hubs. They have issued waivers for thunderstorms before but it is pretty rare. Delta meteorologists are decidedly conservative in their forecasting and this has benefited them way more than it has hurt them. "The local weather guy" is usually instilling fear for ratings.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:44 am

Major Storm

It's a major storm affecting the Midwest, East Coast and South. I'm flying LAX-DTW on Tuesday, hoping to switch to a Monday redeye to avoid the mess.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...-wind/39163954
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frankmai
It's a major storm affecting the Midwest, East Coast and South. I'm flying LAX-DTW on Tuesday, hoping to switch to a Monday redeye to avoid the mess.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...-wind/39163954
Yes, but the main part of the storm is forecasted to come on Wednesday. OP's flight is on Tuesday. You need to wait until early Tuesday to see if there is a weather waiver.

What I really want to know is why would someone with BostonGuy handle lives in BHM?

Last edited by TerryK; Dec 20, 2014 at 11:56 am
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Why its going to be in the 50s on Tuesday in DTW. There will be no weather waiver for DTW for this predicted storm that will be nothing for us here in southeast Michigan. Accuweather is all about drama instead of actually forecasting.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by kss5555
. Accuweather is all about drama instead of actually forecasting.
+1

Its what sells
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kss5555
Accuweather is all about drama instead of actually forecasting.
Exactly.
And that is why DL will rely on their own weather forecasters, not the hyperbole junk from (In)accuweather.
For people in the Boston area, I suggest reading the blog of forecaster David Epstein ("Weather Wisdom").
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Exactly.
And that is why DL will rely on their own weather forecasters, not the hyperbole junk from (In)accuweather.
For people in the Boston area, I suggest reading the blog of forecaster David Epstein ("Weather Wisdom").
Doesn't DL use The Weather Channel for weather forecasts? I know the monitors at the gates at ATL show TWC forecasts.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Delta 764
Doesn't DL use The Weather Channel for weather forecasts? I know the monitors at the gates at ATL show TWC forecasts.
I hope not. DL should use aviation weather forecasts which include weather at different altitudes, amongst others.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK
What I really want to know is why would someone with BostonGuy handle lives in BHM?
Because I started using this august forum when I lived in Boston...
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
DL is the only major airline the still has a full staff of their own meteorologists.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

And BHM's James Spann is a weatherman's weatherman, in the vein of Epstein or Cosgrove.

Decidedly a non-hyper. But does take tornado threats seriously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.