Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles in Daughter's Account

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Miles in Daughter's Account

My 18 year old daughter unexpectedly passed away in June. There are about 22K miles in her Skymiles account. What choices do I have with the miles in her account?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: Delta PM
I am very sorry for your loss. Unfortunately Delta's policy is that once you expire, so do your miles. http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2013...do-your-miles/
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:15 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Wow. So sorry to hear.

If you know her password, you can use the miles, just don't tell DL you're doing this.

That said, right now, you need 25K for a domestic round trip, but, after Jan , there will be one way awards, and you could (in theory) at least get a one way ticket for 12.5K.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: DL PM
Very sorry to hear about your daughter.

If you are able to access her account, you could either transfer the miles to yourself (which would involved about a $220 fee) or purchase an additional 4,000 miles for $140 to give you enough for a 25k award ticket. You could obviously purchase that award ticket for anyone through her account.

If you don't have access to her account, you may be out of luck.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
From the subject I feared this was going to be the question.

My thoughts are with the OP.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Just wanted to say so very sorry for your loss.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DemonDeacon
Very sorry to hear about your daughter.

If you are able to access her account, you could either transfer the miles to yourself (which would involved about a $220 fee) or purchase an additional 4,000 miles for $140 to give you enough for a 25k award ticket. You could obviously purchase that award ticket for anyone through her account.

If you don't have access to her account, you may be out of luck.
First and foremost to the OP, so sorry to hear about your loss!

To the bolded statement up top - I was unaware you could transfer miles to others. Is this fee for all members or do higher tier medallions get the fee waived?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK there's no elite fee waiver or reduction for the fees associated with transferring miles from one account to another.

My suggestion would be to pay to top up the account and then try to get and use an award ticket pretty quickly. If DL attempts to send a new membership card and the mail is returned, DL could close the account in accordance with their policy.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Or just wait till next year and buy a 1-way award for somebody, which will likely cost 17k or so. Then overpriced merchandise from SkyMall to burn the rest. Or just go to SkyMall first and get it done that way.

Not that these are "good" options, just easy ones that do not involve paying cash in to either xfer out or top up.

Sorry for your loss.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Another option might be to donate the miles. Delta allows mileage donations to the charities listed here:

https://www.delta.com/buygftxfer/dis...teMiles.action

As limited as options for a typical redemption are, perhaps the intrinsic benefits of using them this way might have more value for you.

Condolences
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
So very sorry for your loss
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by houserulz77
Another option might be to donate the miles.
Very nice option, not often thought of.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Yes, sometimes small numbers of miles (by small I mean less than what is required to take domestic economy flight) are not worth the time and cost involved in acquiring enough extra miles to make them useful. A donation in her memory will insure they get put to some use.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
My condolences to the OP for the loss of a child.

It's possible to engage in partner activity that boosts the miles in the child's account to 25k miles and then redeem them for an award ticket.

Or use the miles "miles for magazines" kind of redemption option to get something to read yourself or to pick and redirect for others (perhaps kids) to read.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
My condolencs to OP.

Engaging in fraudulent conduct by pretenting to be one's recently deceased daughter strikes me as over the top and inconsistent with normal beavior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.