Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Million Mile- How long do you keep gifted silver status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT Pro, Marriott Lifetime PLT

So my boss and I are talking airline status tonight (he's a DL guy, I'm an AA one) and we get on the topic of million miler. I know AA's is fairly generous in that once you hit a million you get lifetime gold.

However, Delta's is a bit more confusing to me. From the chart it looks like they do award "annual" elite status at a million miles.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...er-status.html

Is this silver status valid just for a year? Or is it annual silver status as long as you've hit the million mile mark?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Currently, it's every year indefinitely until you die (or DL does) and you cannot leave it so someone in yur will.. However, DL in principle could change this at any time.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I've always read the "annual" silver as DLs way of being able to change the program at will, with a max of 12 months of FO liability to MMs.

Interesting that AA uses the lifetime language. I wonder what the fine print actually says.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Currently, it's every year indefinitely until you die (or DL does) and you cannot leave it so someone in yur will.. However, DL in principle could change this at any time.
Of course DL can change this at any time, just like all the other airlines. What this means is nothing is really “lifetime” even if they call it that since anything can change at their whim.

And it should be pointed out to the OP that AA’s “fairly generous” Gold is the same as DL’s Silver, just a different name.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT Pro, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Of course DL can change this at any time, just like all the other airlines. What this means is nothing is really “lifetime” even if they call it that since anything can change at their whim.

And it should be pointed out to the OP that AA’s “fairly generous” Gold is the same as DL’s Silver, just a different name.
Oh yes, I know. We were just pointing out how not-so-nice it would be to hit a million miles and have your gift be only Silver for a year. That being said, I'm pretty sure the language in all these member agreements gives carte blanche to the airline to get out of it.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
The generous airline for MM status is United, which awards gold status (a true equivalent to Delta's gold) for 1MMers. I can't imagine United will hold out much longer but who knows.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
You know, I am going to defend Delta on this one. It has been better than 10 years ago since they changed this. They clearly just wanted to make it a little clearer they could change it even they could have changed it whether or not they changed the words.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
The generous airline for MM status is United, which awards gold status (a true equivalent to Delta's gold) for 1MMers. I can't imagine United will hold out much longer but who knows.
United is quite a bit more restrictive however in that they only count miles flown on United metal and do not count partner metal flying nor bonus miles. While DL counts all MQM earnings towards MM status.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan
You know, I am going to defend Delta on this one. It has been better than 10 years ago since they changed this. They clearly just wanted to make it a little clearer they could change it even they could have changed it whether or not they changed the words.
I think it is likely just backside covering to protect them from getting sued whenever Medallion benefits change. Using the term "lifetime" could imply that you were locked into the benefits at the time you hit your MM level. Even though they have language that allows them to change the terms of the program, United was recently sued when they changed some of the "lifetime" benefits of their MM program.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:36 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Plus lifetime status for spouse in addition to the member on UA, which IMO is the most generous part.

Plat at 2MM, 1K at 3MM and GS at 4MM on UA are also far, far more generous than DL at those levels.

Only downside is ... flying UA.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
It means that you will be a silver as long as VA Ave sees an advantage to the airline in having you be silver.

While I regretted seeing them do away with the Lifetime designation, after additional reflection, what they used to call Lifetime was likely really only annually renewable anyway.

VA Ave has already demonstrated that they have no qualms about taking away something that they bestowed on an alleged lifetime basis.

Flying Colonels were once lifetime Crown Room members... until VA Ave decided that was a promise that was no longer convenient to keep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.