Wiki Posts
Search

Selling upgrades to BE - SEA-LHR?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; Accor Platinum; Bonvoy Platinum; Hertz #1 Gold; HHonors Silver
Selling upgrades to BE - SEA-LHR?

I'm set to travel shortly from SEA-LHR and noticed that less an 1/4 of the seats in BE are occupied. I know this isn't necessarily the most accurate way to access if J is full, but at least potentially indicator there are many empty seats.

Have folks had a similar experience and found that DL will sell upgrades (currently they want 3.6K per person) for much less, even to passengers like myself who have a U-based fare?

Or perhaps they will just fly with only 8-9 seats occupied in BE?!....

Thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Couple years ago I could see at least half a dozen BE seats empty on an AMS-MSP flight (from my paid EC seat). I asked the FA, and he said they rarely op-up folks.

Historically it seems US airlines have had a very hard time gaining any real pricing power for domestic F (other than nonstop cross-country), so they've woken up to selling buy-ups as many threads on DL & UA can attest. I suspect that DL does not want to erode that $3.6K additional pricing power on Intl BE.

Yes some seats go empty, but the seats that fly occupied fly for a lot of money. That's the heart of profitability for them from what I understand, and cheap upgrades both weaken pricing power and piss off full-fare fliers.

And U fares are not upgradeable with miles, so I suspect you'll see BE fly light, or with last minute folks. DL did sell some BE cheap for specific holiday dates, recognizing that business travel drops for the holidays.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: Delta GM
Originally Posted by EG33
I'm set to travel shortly from SEA-LHR and noticed that less an 1/4 of the seats in BE are occupied. I know this isn't necessarily the most accurate way to access if J is full, but at least potentially indicator there are many empty seats.

Have folks had a similar experience and found that DL will sell upgrades (currently they want 3.6K per person) for much less, even to passengers like myself who have a U-based fare?

Or perhaps they will just fly with only 8-9 seats occupied in BE?!....

Thanks!
I inquired recently about purchasing up to BE on JFK-FCO where BE looked to be about half full. Forget the exact number, but my offer was basically the difference between what I paid and a last minute ticket, something like 4k one way. I passed and kept my bulkhead EC. Looked like DL filled them with plain clothed employees (they all knew every flight attendant and airport staff).
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
This is why I love to non-rev in the off season. Plenty of empty BE seats for the taking!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Recently there have been reports on FT about DL offering buy-ups to BE during online check in. I believe the price of a recent one was $1,000 one-way. This is not a particularly good deal, assuming that the coach ticket was already $1200-$1500 and that the buy up is only one-way.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Recently there have been reports on FT about DL offering buy-ups to BE during online check in. I believe the price of a recent one was $1,000 one-way. This is not a particularly good deal, assuming that the coach ticket was already $1200-$1500 and that the buy up is only one-way.
I've seen a range $650-750...sometimes, I pay that much for a ticket!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:36 am

can FT set up an auto-delete function for posts like these?

I recognize not everyone reads this board on a daily basis and may be stumbling upon FT for a first time question. But is this question not asked multiple times a week? With the same answer given?

No, you can not pay $300 to upgrade your $1000 TATL ticket to J
No, Delta won't waive those last 84 miles you need to get the next level of status
No, zone 1 does not actually mean you will be the first people on the plane
No, you should not do a $500 mileage run to get FO status
No, I do not know who you are
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by injera
No, Delta won't waive those last 84 miles you need to get the next level of status
So true!

Maybe make a FAQ wiki??
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club

I recognize not everyone reads this board on a daily basis and may be stumbling upon FT for a first time question. But is this question not asked multiple times a week? With the same answer given?

You're always welcome to start a well though out, organized FAQ thread and suggest it become a sticky.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

Much like these questions, you mean?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...s-showers.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...about-sdc.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...nus-miles.html

FlyerTalker, heal thyself.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:41 am

well played. where's the 'slow clap' emoji??

i'll defend myself that those questions are probably asked monthly as opposed to 3-4x a week, but i'll still go sit the next few plays out.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:48 am

well played. where's the 'slow clap' emoji??

i'll defend myself that those questions are probably asked monthly as opposed to 3-4x a week, but i'll still go sit the next few plays out.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

I don't think that the forum works this way. I know that the intention is for people to use search functions or read FAQ's, but people don't. And that's because people are people and the site can be confusing to look at and the search function does not always work well. So people post new threads with old questions. Big deal. What is just as frequent (and arguably just as annoying) are the responses such as this one complaining about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.