Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

RUC Catastrophe: Check it before your flight!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RUC Catastrophe: Check it before your flight!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
I have another question on RUC, but didn't want to start a new thread... About the timing of the RUC, if you can apply it now for a future trip, but the trip is past the expire date, what happens? I have one that was applied, but the leg it applied to is on a date past the expiration date...trying to avoid another issue. Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by JBJ2435
I have another question on RUC, but didn't want to start a new thread... About the timing of the RUC, if you can apply it now for a future trip, but the trip is past the expire date, what happens? I have one that was applied, but the leg it applied to is on a date past the expiration date...trying to avoid another issue. Thanks.
The upgrade must clear by the expiration date. This is the weakness of the upgrade certificates - they are great for gate upgrades, but the inventory for advance upgrades is seriously limited.

David
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't it correct that every time a DL agent does anything, no matter how insignificant, to a DL ticket, there's an electronic record of the identity of the agent (their call sign?) and probably what was done? Given this, when can't DL note the identities of the agents who seem to have not done the GUC/RUC requests correctly and then provide retraining to those agents? For example, when a supervisor must fix a GUC/RUC, the supervisor could just send the errant agent's identity to some list for potential retraining. These steps would seem to end most of the problems caused by unknowledgeable agents and leave only the problems caused by laziness (including telling us it's right when it isn't) for us to suffer.
Your post presumes that DL cares about this stuff. It doesn't; not one whit.

Unless someone can point out how DL might make money off automating so many of its backwards and manual processess, this part of Bubbaflot remains un-enhanced.

Last edited by Sabai; Dec 17, 2014 at 11:00 am
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
That sounds correct.

The problems seen to occur around a) the system actually grabbing available upgrade seats prior to day of departure and b) something happening on the day of departure where the coding gets messed up. Both are mysteries. I've had them both work and not work.
Thanks.

Assuming nothing else clears in advance it sounds like my best play is to ensure we are at the top of the upgrade list at OLCI (would we show as 1 and 2 assuming no other GUC's ahead of us? or would we show my name party of 2?) If we are not at the top I should then call the PM line.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
Thanks.

Assuming nothing else clears in advance it sounds like my best play is to ensure we are at the top of the upgrade list at OLCI (would we show as 1 and 2 assuming no other GUC's ahead of us? or would we show my name party of 2?) If we are not at the top I should then call the PM line.
After OLCI, I would monitor it constantly. Just way too many IT issues.

And call DL repeatedly to see if you have cleared prior to OLCI. And when you do, ask if upgrade inventory is available. It may be, but the system hasn't cleared you. You'll get attitude from the DL agents now and then for asking (and they may lie and not even check and say they did), but it's still worth calling. I recently went through this.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Sabai
Your post presumes that DL cares about this stuff. It doesn't; not one whit.
Increasingly this seems to be the case. It's one thing for something to be an IT or training hiccup, it's another when it continues for a long time with no improvement.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I've almost lost count of the number of times I've called DL to just inquire about a ticket change and they've screwed up the entire reservation. This almost always involves a ridiculous amount of time to get it fixed. Infuriating.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I've almost lost count of the number of times I've called DL to just inquire about a ticket change and they've screwed up the entire reservation. This almost always involves a ridiculous amount of time to get it fixed. Infuriating.
Each time I hear about something like this, or the problems that I or Mrs. TrojanTraveler and other DMs encounter, I just think, imagine what type of service and misinformation that low- and non-status customers are subjected to.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:10 am

IME, tweeting Delta Assist results in the correct application of any and all upgrade certs. they seem to have a better grasp of the particulars in the correct application.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta PM
After OLCI, I would monitor it constantly. Just way too many IT issues.

And call DL repeatedly to see if you have cleared prior to OLCI. And when you do, ask if upgrade inventory is available. It may be, but the system hasn't cleared you. You'll get attitude from the DL agents now and then for asking (and they may lie and not even check and say they did), but it's still worth calling. I recently went through this.
Good advice, thanks. Earlier this year I wait-listed a mileage upgrade on domestic a trip as I was in an appropriate fare class. I know exactly what you are saying re: "attitude from DL agents.." as I would call in often to triple check it was applied properly. Naturally the upgrade never happened. I still don't really know what happened there but assume inventory never was made available but I question whether it was setup properly.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DiverDave
The upgrade must clear by the expiration date. This is the weakness of the upgrade certificates - they are great for gate upgrades, but the inventory for advance upgrades is seriously limited.

David
Thanks, this is good to know. The inventory was there and the ug applied and the cert pulled already! I was just worried about trouble closer in if the expire date played in at time of travel...
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by emrdoc
IME, tweeting Delta Assist results in the correct application of any and all upgrade certs. they seem to have a better grasp of the particulars in the correct application.
Could you provide the handle of the twitter agents that helped you do this? (the *XX reference they put at every tweet).
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Each time I hear about something like this, or the problems that I or Mrs. TrojanTraveler and other DMs encounter, I just think, imagine what type of service and misinformation that low- and non-status customers are subjected to.
Ironically, they could be subjected to much less misinformation. It seems to be the perks of higher status that the agents have trouble with. As a Silver earlier this year I rarely had trouble (actually can't remember any at all) getting the one privilege that I was actually excited about, which was EC seats within the checkin window. I even actually got some upgrades BEFORE checkin.

Compare that with trying to use RUCs two weeks ago to fly to SJU for a cruise with my wife as a Diamond, which was chaotic at best. On the morning checking in for the flight from CHS-ATL, which was an A fare, so no upgrade requested, somehow while in line to check our bags that morning we disappeared from the upgrade list that we had been on for 3 weeks with an RUC for the ATL-SJU leg.

On the SJU-ATL leg coming home, no issues whatsoever, we both got the upgrade at the gate with RUCs and were in A from ATL-CHS. Smooth as can be.

I really don't get the disconnect.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
The system is working precisely how Delta wants it to work.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
This is probably the safest check. If you don't see yourself at the VERY top of the UPG list, it probably wasn't done right.
This. ^

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.