Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AA challenging Delta in promoting their 2015 Frequent Flyer Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA challenging Delta in promoting their 2015 Frequent Flyer Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:38 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The following is correct:
4. (The result is that) AA will award its highest fare customers with more miles on a ticket than DL will award its highest fare customers.
This is not necessarily correct. On a $10,000 nonstop business class JFK-LHR roundtrip, DL will award more miles. The same is true on a $15,000 nonstop business class LAX-NRT. (And specifically, your #2 is also not necessarily correct -- AA will award more than 75K miles on some itineraries, but not on all "most expensive" itineraries.)

You can come up with cases where AA will award more miles than DL, but it is hardly a rule.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM
The double connect customer on premium fares isn't so common but it's not so rare either. People have to fly to/from airline hubs that are their North American international gateway.

1. This is about awarding the most expensive fares.

2. AA will award more than 75k miles for the most expensive fares.

3. DL refuses to award more than 75k miles for the most expensive fares.

4. (The result is that) AA will award its highest fare customers with more miles on a ticket than DL will award its highest fare customers.

And yet you proclaim my words there to be "incorrect" despite each of those four sentences in my post being factually correct.

Amusing claims about my words and about me.

Ugh...your logic doesn't make any sense.

No it is not. Miles on AA are not related to fare cost, they are related to distance traveled.

A fictional $30k JFK-LHR on will not get you 75k miles on AA. It will get you 75K on Delta.

You would be correct if you said: "Delta is targeting TATL/Short TPAC HVCs while AA is targeting Long TPAC/RTW HVCs".

You are refusing to admit that your logic is dependent on other factors, and I'm not sure why.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:46 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by StuckOnSegments
Ugh...your logic doesn't make any sense.

No it is not. Miles on AA are not related to fare cost, they are related to distance traveled.

A fictional $30k JFK-LHR on will not get you 75k miles on AA. It will get you 75K on Delta.

You would be correct if you said: "Delta is targeting TATL/Short TPAC HVCs while AA is targeting Long TPAC/RTW HVCs".

You are refusing to admit that your logic is dependent on other factors, and I'm not sure why.

More specifically AA is rewarding customers (whether they mean to be "targeting" these customers is up for debate) who make the most connections among long-haul flights. DL is going to give more miles on almost any very expensive nonstop flight. Considering that HVCs tend to prefer nonstop flights, I'd say that's generally a sound policy if one wants to attract HVCs.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Yes, it is: AA will award more than 75k miles on some of its most expensive tickets, unless AA puts in a 75k mile cap.

DL will not award more than 75k miles on any of its most expensive tickets, unless DL eliminates the 75k miles/ticket cap.

Miles on AA will be fare and distance based. DL, not so much -- as it's just fare based with a cap of 75k, even as AA has no such 75k earning cap per ticket.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:47 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

The double connect customer on premium fares isn't so common but it's not so rare either. People have to fly to/from airline hubs that are their continent's/continents' international gateway(s).

There are double connect customers, but there aren't usually double connect passengers with three segments all in excess of 3,000 miles (or with one of them JFK-SFO/JFK-LAX). Most double connect customers are the likes of AUS-DFW-LHR-HAM, or something like that. Those customers will be earning a much smaller bonus than the theoretical, but very rare, LAX-JFK-LHR-BOM.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by colerc
There are double connect customers, but there aren't usually double connect passengers with three segments all in excess of 3,000 miles (or with one of them JFK-SFO/JFK-LAX). Most double connect customers are the likes of AUS-DFW-LHR-HAM, or something like that. Those customers will be earning a much smaller bonus than the theoretical, but very rare, LAX-JFK-LHR-BOM.
California-JFK-___-BOM type trips aren't so very rare, at least not in the premium cabins. Keep in mind that it's not so very rare for business people to have a single ticket with multiple "connections"/"stops" for meetings/engagements en-route to/from a foreign office or foreign client.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
1. This is about awarding the most expensive fares.
Sort of true.

Not true.

3. DL refuses to award more than 75k miles for the most expensive fares.
True.

True only under certain circumstances. Not true under others.

And yet you proclaim my words there to be "incorrect" despite each of those four sentences in my post being factually correct.
Only one of your statements is unambiguously correct. One is simply incorrect. Two may be correct in specific instances, but incorrect in others.

I think you may not know what the word "correct" means.

You also claim that it is not possible to get over 75k miles from AA for any TATL ticket that does not include a premium cabin transcontinental, even if it cost $15k. Do you really want to believe that? It sounds like one of those situations where someone may come back and say "never say never" and then show how the "not possible" is actually possible.
Knock yourself out. I see no possible combination for a TATL ticket (defined as US-Europe - not simply traveling over the Atlantic), that would yield more than 75k flights without including a premium cabin transcon. I'd be happy to be proven wrong on some 12-stop ludicrous routing, though. I suspect the demand for full fare J or F tickets that include a large number of extra stops is near zero, though.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:07 pm

Yes, it is: AA will award more than 75k miles on some of its most expensive tickets, unless AA puts in a 75k mile cap.
Now you're getting it It may award more than 75k, but not always. In some cases it's better to fly DL, in others AA.

So this statement is only correct some of the time:

Which makes your earlier logic flawed.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:07 pm
Suspended

TATL is not limited to US-Europe trips.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
Suspended

No, it may award more than 75k, but not always. In some cases it's better to fly DL, in others AA.

Why is this so hard for you?
In other words, AA will at least sometimes award more than 75k miles. Thank you for confirming my point.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:19 pm

In other words, AA will at least sometimes award more than 75k miles. Thank you for confirming my point.
That was never at issue.

Your statement was:

The highest dollar spenders will earn more on AA. AA has no 75,000 mile cap per ticket.
and

These are simply not true. The highest spenders may earn more on DL. It all depends.

Get it?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Let's try a concrete example that disproves the notion that AA will award the most miles on expensive fares.

1/16-1/23 - JFK-LHR
AA charges $6,610 for an F ticket that will earn an EXP 42,200 miles.
DL charges $5,620 for a J ticket that will earn a DM 58,036 miles.

Now, I didn't major in math, but I am pretty sure that 58,036 is a larger number than 42,200.

FACT: DL awards more miles for a cheaper fare in some instances.

1/16-1/23 - ORD-NRT
AA charges $7,991 for a "full" biz ticket that will earn 56,300 miles.
AA charges $9,591 for a F ticket that will earn 56,300 miles..

Again, I may be fuzzy on the math, but I am pretty sure that 56,300 is the same as 56,300.

FACT: AA does not always award more miles for a more expensive fare on AA.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Have fun with the cherry-picking.

That was never at issue.

Your statement was:

That is simply not true. The highest spenders may earn more on DL.

Get it?
AA: more than 75k miles on the most expensive tickets

DL: no more than 75k miles on the most expensive tickets.

The former includes numbers greater than 75k, while the latter does not. So AA can and will award more than 75k miles for some AA ticket while DL will not award more than 75k miles for any DL ticket. That means that AA will at least sometimes award more than 75k miles for a given ticket. Thank you for allowing me to demonstrate making my point. I don't need to make it again, so you're free to revisit my posts above as much as you wish to debate with yourself -- especially since I've got nothing else to say on this point other than that AA has no 75k mile cap per ticket while DL does have such a cap that results in AA being more rewarding at the highest price ticket extremes than DL.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:31 pm
Suspended

The continued repetition of this false claim, after being informed that it isn't true smacks of willful dishonesty.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:55 pm

Have fun with the cherry-picking.

DL: no more than 75k miles on the most expensive tickets.

The former includes numbers greater than 75k, while the latter does not. So AA can and will award more than 75k miles for some AA ticket while DL will not award more than 75k miles for any DL ticket. That means that AA will at least sometimes award more than 75k miles for a given ticket. Thank you for allowing me to demonstrate making my point. I don't need to make it again, so you're free to revisit my posts above as much as you wish to debate with yourself -- especially since I've got nothing else to say on this point other than that AA has no 75k mile cap per ticket while DL does have such a cap that results in AA being more rewarding at the highest price ticket extremes than DL.
PRICE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MILES EARNED ON AA.

Why do you keep linking it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.