Community
Wiki Posts
Search

need advice, full F but got screwed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some P tickets are fully flexible/changeable/refundable. I've also seen F class (real F, not G A P) with a three day advance requirement.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Just curious....what fare basis did your ticket booking into. Don't most, if not all, of those "Full fare" tickets bought at booking book into A or P?
Booked into F. I book A and P every other week and am very aware of those fares. I just looked and it is back up to $1390.00 but as a nice surprise while looking at some later dates I found quite a few (like a bunch) of G fares for January! I just paid less than $400 OW LAX-MHT/ BOS-LAX!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
F earns 200% MQMs. This can be worthwhile if the cost difference is small enough.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by sdadept
Paid full F fare for refundability and to make sure nothing went wrong on a special trip. Opened a case with amex plat services and they are talking to Delta. Partial refund is for sure, will report back on how much.
*looking at the calendar to ensure it's really not April 1st*

"opened a case?" Really? Good lord how ridiculous. Delta fulfilled it's obligation to you per their TOS. Is the world going to end tomorrow because you weren't able to sit together for a few hours?

Refund?

Wait, here it comes....

Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
I am one of those people who hates to sit and talk to someone, anyone, on a plane. I purposefully move my seat when flying with coworkers or partner. I just hope the OP's trip was not ruined by the experience or the posts that followed his post. Have fun in Vegas.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sdadept
so to start... if you are of the opinion that anything delta does is ok and that we should just be glad we have seats at all, stop reading at this point and move on.
I think the response you have received thus far has been reasonable (customer service is/was unacceptable, but bummer about the seats).

Regarding the quote above, it humors me to know end when folks post a statement like this. Let me translate- "My opinion is already correct, so I am just looking for validation. If your opinion differs from mine, no need to reply".

What you should generally receive from the FT community is a generally even keel perspective. At times, there will be extreme posts from either direction...those I generally disregard.

It truly is unfortunate that your seats were separated, but there could be a variety of reasons that could have caused that...and we don't have enough information. Pursue the poor customer service though, that should never occur.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by injera

Or, respect that this is a place to talk about Delta airlines. Both the pros and the cons of the airline, the frequent flier program and how to maximize your experience with them. Thousands of threads here to comment on.

Back to the OP - good luck and please let us know how this goes.

And that is the joke of the matter. The OP is demanding a refund of a couple of thousand dollars because he didn't get to sit next to his honey for 4 hours. Not because he was pushed from first back to coach. Delta sold him a first class seat, he sat in first and was taken from JFK to SLC. Delta followed through on their end.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:14 am

Whatever you do, report the gate agent for rude behavior. We need to weed out the malcontents who do their best to take it out on customers.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:09 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I guess it all boils down to differing opinions on ones definition of getting screwed.

Originally Posted by yessams
It truly is unfortunate that your seats were separated, but there could be a variety of reasons that could have caused that...and we don't have enough information. Pursue the poor customer service though, that should never occur.
This was explained completely at the beginning. FA's seat was broken. FAA req - must sit in closest seat. Case closed. OP will choose seats further back next time. Some apology miles, of course.

Edited to add.....

I'm in bulkhead 1B tomorrow on a B752 ATL/MSP. I hope the FA jump seat is broken.

Last edited by davetravels; Dec 15, 2014 at 1:31 pm
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:31 pm

What do you think will happen if the FA must sit in 1B? He/she can't sit on your lap. (Sorry, I may ahve been confusing you with Dovster.)
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:33 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What do you think will happen if the FA must sit in 1B? He/she can't sit on your lap. (Sorry, I may ahve been confusing you with Dovster.)
<whispering> - apology miles . . . . not that I need'em, but, of course, since times of good mileage on cheap tix will soon be considered to be way back in the "olden days" . . . . I'll call it YCM - My own Y Class Monetization - Throw me back in Y due IROPS & FAA regs, and give me 15-25K miles for a relatively short flight.

As to the FA being my type for a lap dance, it happens, but rarely. Nuff said.

Last edited by davetravels; Dec 15, 2014 at 5:38 pm
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: DL DM
This! ^
A proactive, reasonable, do-able solution.

It's too bad no one thought of it at the time.

I understand your frustration OP, but have to agree that it's not practical to have to shuffle around at least 2 other pax to make you guys happy, and certainly doesn't merit a refund.

FC is, maybe sadly, not the luxury space that it may have been in the past, or is on some international carriers.

I'd just write in, get some miles, move on...

Originally Posted by hooverer
I would have talked to the FA in the seat next to you telling your situation, and ask if it would be possible for your fiance to swap seats once airborne, then return to assigned seats during landing. Chances are the FA would be willing to get up and move around or at least swap seats during the cruise portion of the flight.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
[QUOTE=Often1;23999502]

2. The FA jumpseat issue means that the seat closest to the emergency exit must be kep vacant for FA use. That doesn't change once in the air as the FA needs a seat for turbulence and can hardly boot someone sitting in a seat when the Captain orders cabin crew seated.
QUOTE]

No but they can (and do) sit in nearest sat and tell passengers to do the same. Very bad turbulence over Europe on Emirates DXB-MAN when captain told crew to sit down - I saw a FA literally leap over aisle passenger to sit in middle seat (in middle block). Owner of seat was at bathroom and was told (shouted at) to sit in jump seat at the back.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Originally Posted by hooverer
I would have talked to the FA in the seat next to you telling your situation, and ask if it would be possible for your fiance to swap seats once airborne, then return to assigned seats during landing. Chances are the FA would be willing to get up and move around or at least swap seats during the cruise portion of the flight.
There is something missing here:
Is the FA riding in a FC seat instead of the Jump Seat a working crew member ?
OR a deadheading crew member authorized to travel in any empty seat be it
a jump seat or passenger seat ?
That FA if a working crew could have helped resolve this issue by doing just
like the quoted poster above commented getting out of the seat to perform
the crew duties while in flight and returning to the alternate seat for the
take-off and landing.
Somebody is not using their head in the SPIRIT OF DELTA - if Richard Anderson
can solve a situation by riding in the cockpit jump seat to alleviate a seating
problem certainly GAs and FAs can work something out. Granted cockpit
jump seat is a restricted area but what puzzles me further is what was the
reason that the FA jump seat was out of service. On most of the Boeing
equipment that I have been on there is room for 2 FAs to fasten themselves
in on a fold down bench type seat at door 1L. Was is a matter of simply a
seat belt harness being non-functional ? But if there was something wrong
with the bench seat itself then shouldn't that problem have been fixed as a
FAA requirement - unsafe for one then what about both ? If this happened
on a 757 at door 2L a coach seat would have been a better alternative.

One thing I do when selecting my seat is avoid the forward bulk head rows
in both cabins and the last row in FC is case of a downsizing substitution of
equipment where the last row either disappears or becomes the first row of
coach. Also note avoid the seat immediately across from the galley for a
check riding crew member and the aisle seats in the back of either cabin
for air marshals trumping all seating requests.

In closing if this had been a mother or father with child would the GA and/or
FAs handled this differently ?
And shame on any solo frequently flyer not willing to help (although I question
if any effort was made to find out) ? Yeah I know like Jay Leno used to say
"I am way off base" ! But this is no comedy - Customer Service definitely lacking !

Disgusting !
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:19 am

Location: San Francisco, CA Frmr AA Plat AW Plat Frmr UA 1K Frmr HGP Plat now just UA 1MM/1P
Sorry, but while I understand the frustration of not getting what you want - a broken seat is what it is.
Equally other passengers not wanting to move - that is their prerogative.
I myself have given up a 16C seat on a Lufthansa 747-3 because a young and clearly ignorant couple asked to sit together (one had 16b), and wound up going to seat 47e (yes, a middle).
This was a clearly lunacy inspired act of kindness... but I wasn't going home nor to work, and sometimes don't mind sitting in the sardine section for just 7 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.