Wiki Posts
Search

Intra Asian Routes from NRT

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Intra Asian Routes from NRT

The Investor Day presentation mentioned that Delta will be reducing intra Asian flying to either 5 routes or 5 flights. Have a couple questions:
1) Does anyone know which intra Asian cities/flights Delta will continue to serve from NRT?
2) Will Delta lose the slots at NRT for lack of use?
3) Will cities that will lose NRT service be replaced with flights from Delta's SEA hub? For instance, will NRT to TPE transfer to SEA to TPE?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:41 am

The way I understand it:
1) BKK, MNL, PVG, SIN, TPE (*the airline industry does not count ROR, SPN, GUM as Asian markets but rather North American)
2) no significant change in frequency from today (ignoring seasonal reductions like 5x/wk PDX-NRT which we already see)
3) this one is pure speculation but based on Richards comments my money is on PVG and possibly TPE. SIN, BKK and MNL are too far to be efficiently served from the mainland US.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: UA,DL
Originally Posted by UAtoDE
The way I understand it:
1) BKK, MNL, PVG, SIN, TPE (*the airline industry does not count ROR, SPN, GUM as Asian markets but rather North American)
2) no significant change in frequency from today (ignoring seasonal reductions like 5x/wk PDX-NRT which we already see)
3) this one is pure speculation but based on Richards comments my money is on PVG and possibly TPE. SIN, BKK and MNL are too far to be efficiently served from the mainland US.
With NRT-PEK discontinued earlier in the year, I doubt NRT-PVG will be here any longer as there are already plenty of options to get to PVG from the US on DL(SEA,DTW) and a lot more options on UA and AA so NRT-PVG just doesn't make much sense in keeping anymore.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by deltaflyer08
With NRT-PEK discontinued earlier in the year, I doubt NRT-PVG will be here any longer as there are already plenty of options to get to PVG from the US on DL(SEA,DTW) and a lot more options on UA and AA so NRT-PVG just doesn't make much sense in keeping anymore.
The NRT-PEK and NRT-PVG flights are very convenient for doing 72 hour TWOV to China. This enables someone to go to China on short notice and/or to save about $140 for the visa fee plus expediting and visa service fees, not to mention the hassle of getting a Chinese visa.

Of course this has changed a bit with the availability of ten year tourist or business visas for USA citizens going to China, especially those who have held Chinese visa in the past.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
NRT-PVG will probably remain until either a) the route becomes unprofitable or b) Delta has a flight they'd rather use the PVG slot on.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:24 am

I've always been curious....how much O/D traffic does Delta do on their intra-Asia flights?

If Delta can't fill something like NRT-PVG with connecting pax from North America...they could discount just the NRT-PVG segment to fill it with locals (Japanese and Chinese)... Or is there too much competition from Chinese and Japanese and Asain LCC's to make this viable?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Burj
I've always been curious....how much O/D traffic does Delta do on their intra-Asia flights?

If Delta can't fill something like NRT-PVG with connecting pax from North America...they could discount just the NRT-PVG segment to fill it with locals (Japanese and Chinese)... Or is there too much competition from Chinese and Japanese and Asain LCC's to make this viable?
When I've looked at fare class availability because I wanted to do a stopover in Tokyo, I often noticed that from several months to several weeks in advance, DL was only offering high fare classes for the intraAsian flights despite extremely good availability in all fare classes as married segments with TPAC flights. So based on this evidence, I would say that DL is only trying to market these flights to business travelers in Asia. Despite this, IME the flights are full.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Burj

What public statements that are available suggest that local traffic is very minimal. Timings that are suited to connections and not much else reinforce the idea that these flights exist for connections.

As for discounting, I don't see why they would prefer to do that when they could simply discontinue the routes and focus on their ex-US flights. For PVG, for example, they already fly from SEA and DTW. No sense wasting effort and resources chasing O/D pax thousands of miles from home where you will be at a cost disadvantage.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:36 am

There are many passengers who prefer NRT connections to SEA.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There are many passengers who prefer NRT connections to SEA.
Cool. I'm sure there is great diversity in preference among DL passengers. That doesn't mean DL need accommodate every preference, especially when doing so requires keeping an NRT hub that is likely more expensive to operate than a domestic one. If cost didn't play into it, every carrier would have dozens of hubs.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Cool. I'm sure there is great diversity in preference among DL passengers. That doesn't mean DL need accommodate every preference, especially when doing so requires keeping an NRT hub that is likely more expensive to operate than a domestic one. If cost didn't play into it, every carrier would have dozens of hubs.
True, but my point is that you and DL shouldn't just assume that existing DL Asia passengers will shift their travel from NRT to SEA connections and pay the same fares. Some will but others will look for other carriers and routings, perhaps ICN or HKG rather than SEA.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
True, but my point is that you and DL shouldn't just assume that existing DL Asia passengers will shift their travel from NRT to SEA connections and pay the same fares. Some will but others will look for other carriers and routings, perhaps ICN or HKG rather than SEA.
True. Connections at SEA require crappy domestic transcons that are avoided by going nonstop to NRT and connecting there. ATL-NRT-BKK on international air craft is much preferred to something like ATL-SEA-BKK (if that's under consideration), with a good five hours of flying downgraded to domestic service. If DL eliminates the Asian intra-port flights and forces me through SEA, this hub captive will switch loyalty to KE SkyPass or look at CX.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:25 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
I love transiting via NRT/Haneda airports....the NRT lounges are the bomb in the NW/DL system. Who doesn't love the automatic beer pouring machines with perfect head???!?

Now with the award miles based on $$ and not miles traveled, more non-stop is more desirable. Granted we still need MQMs still....why not get rid of that concept and just do MQD???

In my past experiences in considering booking intra-Asian on NW/DL, it was always way more expensive, plus flight times very limited given the banking with US flights. Award travel however, was a good deal back in the day and easy to book....not sure these days though...
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
I love transiting via NRT/Haneda airports....the NRT lounges are the bomb in the NW/DL system. Who doesn't love the automatic beer pouring machines with perfect head???!?
Same in BKK.

Singha rocks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.