RTW Award ticket - strategy question

Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
So theoretically I could just book something for now and change it all next year?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: Delta FO
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
So theoretically I could just book something for now and change it all next year?
Yes, according to the rep I spoke with. She suggested booking a 2 stop itinerary with stops in Europe and Asia to make it simple and valid.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:58 am

Two stops is enough? The SkyTeam planner says I need at least three, but that may because it's a revenue ticket.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:25 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by richardinmotion
Thanks. It appears that you are correct. I called into the RTW award desk and spoke to Keisha. We didn't get very far. I asked whether there was low level award space on my first segment: LAX-CHC. She informed me that that flight was not possible because, even though Virgin Australia is a SkyTeam partner, they do not participate in the RTW program. So, I am back to the drawing board.
I'm surprised they would have enough people redeeming RTW awards to have an "RTW desk", but maybe they just transferred to you a relatively senior agent who knew how to do things like RTWs.

I would guess that making changes to awards next year while preserving this year's pricing (both on RTWs and on stopovers) might end up requiring some HUCA, but we will see.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Update: I just successfully booked a BE award trip for myself. It was not easy, but I was very flexible with dates, so we made it work. It took about 90 minutes. BE low award space was fairly straightforward to find on partner airlines, but nonexistent on Delta flights. So, my entire RTW is non-Delta.

Now, for the good part:

According to the excellent rep I worked with, you CAN book a dummy trip before 12/31 and modify it later. If you are DM, or book your wife's flight using your DM miles, there are NO change fees for changing flights, right up to the 72 hour window. You will ONLY be charged for taxes. My wife is GM, so I was very happy to hear this. I can't speak for non-DMs, sorry.

I have several more RTWs to book in the next 13 days, so I will try to verify this info by calling into the RTW desk again and speaking to another agent. If some of you can also do it, it would be helpful.

One other caveat: Once you make your RTW booking, you CANNOT change your departure date and airport after 12/31. So, be VERY careful about this one.

Also, remember that the RETURN date of your RTW ticket must not be more than 331 days from the date you book. For today, that means 11/14/15.
Are you sure it's 331 days from booking and not one year (with changes later)? If so, this would be a special rule for RTWs which differs from the expiration dates on other tickets, which I understand to be an industry standard convention.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you sure it's 331 days from booking and not one year (with changes later)? If so, this would be a special rule for RTWs which differs from the expiration dates on other tickets, which I understand to be an industry standard convention.
That's what I was told and the 11/14/15 end date coincides with 331 days from today.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:49 pm

I'm debating if RTW miles redemption is even such a good deal anymore. AZ has had two partial-RTW $500 tickets show up this year, making it rather cheap to book a simple RTW (in Y). I guess if you want J and have numerous places you'd like to visit it's worth it. I'm more of a go-where-the-deal-is kind of guy.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
331 days is how far you can book at any given time, but ticket is valid 1 year and you can change up to one year later (later).
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RealHJ
331 days is how far you can book at any given time, but ticket is valid 1 year and you can change up to one year later (later).
That's my understanding but the OP is insisting that the RTW ticket is only valid for 331 days.

CORRECTION, not the OP but richardinmotion.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:56 pm

Keep in mind that I was told that after 12/31, you CANNOT change the departure date and airport.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:57 pm

Keep in mind that I was told that after 12/31, you CANNOT change the departure date and airport.
Just after 2014 or is this a standard rule for award RTWs?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:58 pm

I guess by not touching that you will keep it locked in as a RTW ticket, instead of being subject to the new rules.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:04 pm

Just after 2014 or is this a standard rule for award RTWs?
I'm not sure I know what you mean. You do know that Delta RTW awards are DOA after 12/31/14, yes?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:05 pm

It would sure be nice to have other people adding info on these last minute RTW award bookings. Am I the only one doing these? I have 4 more to book and need all the info I can get ahold of
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA
That's my understanding but the OP is insisting that the RTW ticket is only valid for 331 days.

CORRECTION, not the OP but richardinmotion.
When I booked a RTW award ticket in October, I had to book a dummy flight back to my destination since I could only choose flights 331 days out. I asked the representative when I had to complete the ticket by, and she said I have a full year from when I START the trip. Maybe she or I misunderstood each other... Is it one year from the start of the trip, one year from original booking date, or 331 days from original booking date?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.