Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Does DL's 24-hour cancellation option apply outside USA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united, delta, british

I want to buy a flight originating in Europe to USA and return. Delta told me the 24-hour cancellation rule applied, then the next day a different agent said it does not apply unless flight originates in USA. Other sites say that's irrelevant but I can't find the actual rule anywhere on DOT or other sites. Does anyone have anything definitive on this? Thanks.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bkcarolina
I want to buy a flight originating in Europe to USA and return. Delta told me the 24-hour cancellation rule applied, then the next day a different agent said it does not apply unless flight originates in USA. Other sites say that's irrelevant but I can't find the actual rule anywhere on DOT or other sites. Does anyone have anything definitive on this? Thanks.
It depends on the trip details, including ticketing airline, routing, schedule and/or travel agency policies -- except where those are in conflict with applicable laws.

This following thread has some info which should help:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...an-2012-a.html

IIRC the DOT regulation is applicable to all US carriers and to non-US carriers on tickets which have a segment that originates, terminates or otherwise routes to/from/within the US.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 11, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united, delta, british
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It depends on the trip details, including ticketing airline, routing, schedule and/or travel agency policies -- except where those are in conflict with applicable laws.

IIRC the DOT regulation is applicable to all US carriers and to non-US carriers on tickets which have a segment that originates, terminates or otherwise routes to/from/within the US.
I'm buying the ticket on Delta for Delta operated or codeshare flights, from LHR to IAD and back. So far as I can find, the rule doesn't mention anywhere originating country, so is Delta just being coy to say I'm not covered?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

BA and Virgin Atlantic ( who codeshare with Delta) have a 24 hour cooling period.

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
DL flights for LHR to IAD are VS-operated. Both DL and VS indeed have some kind of 24-hour "cooling off period", but IIRC it was not equally applicable to all tickets even when dealing with the very same operating airline(s). The ticket-issuing airline/agency should tell you at or before the time of booking.

Sometimes some of the major online travel agencies can be more flexible with free booking cancellations than if the ticket for the same route were issued directly by an airline rather than via a a travel agency.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onlin...el-policy.html
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist

This is incorrect. The DOT's 24-hour reservation requirement applies to any "U.S. and foreign air carrier that has a website marketed to U.S. consumers" regardless of the route. (You might be thinking about the tarmac delay rule, but the DOT 24-hour reservation requirement has no such limitation.)

Originally Posted by bkcarolina
Bear in mind that airlines can offer either a 24-hour hold or a 24-hour refund on applicable itineraries. The DOT requires that airlines post a "customer service plan" on their Web sites that "must include a commitment pertaining to the 24-hour reservation requirement." It's unfortunate that Delta's reservation agents don't know the details of their company's customer service plan, but ultimately it's probably best to go by what's on Delta's Web site.

I didn't do an exhaustive search, but I did find a page on DL's Risk-free Cancellation policy, which might be a source of some confusion, because it says that it applies to "most eTickets purchased directly through Delta for travel originating in the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Canada," whereas the DOT rules have no restrictions on the type of ticket nor the originating country. Needless to say, DOT rules have the force of law and, where they conflict, supersede any restrictions that DL has.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL flights for LHR to IAD are VS-operated. Both DL and VS indeed have some kind of 24-hour "cooling off period", but IIRC it was not equally applicable to all tickets even when dealing with the very same operating airline(s). The ticket-issuing airline/agency should tell you at or before the time of booking.

Sometimes some of the major online travel agencies can be more flexible with free booking cancellations than if the ticket for the same route were issued directly by an airline rather than via a a travel agency.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onlin...el-policy.html
I wouldn't count on cancellation being easy or more flexible with an on line travel agent, nor do I want to deal with one of them, but real live human travel agents have some flexibility in that they can cancel a certain percentage of tickets as "mistakes" without any penalty if it's done reasonably promptly (which probably means within 24 hours) Of course there would probably be a ticketing fee, which might not be refundable, but the terms depend on the particular travel agency you use. In the past, AmEx PTS has offered to be flexible for me.

It's not stated on the website, but DL's 24 hour cancellation policy really means midnight of the following day in an indeterminate USA time zone, regardless of the time zone of the originating airport for the ticket. As a DM, I've been told that it's SLC time but that my own time zone applies for determining the purchase date so YMMV. When you call to cancel, (elite) agents might have some discretion or it might be that they make up their own rules. AFAIK with DL you must call to get the refund and not try to cancel on line, but I haven't tried to do this recently.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:59 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Although this does, to a certain extent, involve some general travel issues, it focuses on DL, its practices, and those of its ticketing partners. I'll therefore move this to the DL forum for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikew99
This is incorrect. The DOT's 24-hour reservation requirement applies to any "U.S. and foreign air carrier that has a website marketed to U.S. consumers" regardless of the route. (You might be thinking about the tarmac delay rule, but the DOT 24-hour reservation requirement has no such limitation.)

Bear in mind that airlines can offer either a 24-hour hold or a 24-hour refund on applicable itineraries. The DOT requires that airlines post a "customer service plan" on their Web sites that "must include a commitment pertaining to the 24-hour reservation requirement." It's unfortunate that Delta's reservation agents don't know the details of their company's customer service plan, but ultimately it's probably best to go by what's on Delta's Web site.

I didn't do an exhaustive search, but I did find a page on DL's Risk-free Cancellation policy, which might be a source of some confusion, because it says that it applies to "most eTickets purchased directly through Delta for travel originating in the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Canada," whereas the DOT rules have no restrictions on the type of ticket nor the originating country. Needless to say, DOT rules have the force of law and, where they conflict, supersede any restrictions that DL has.

DOT has no jurisdiction over flights that don't originate or end here. While the rule-making is not terribly specific in this regard, I think it's pretty much accepted they have no authority over foreign airlines for flights which operate entirely outside the US. Just as the EU can't force EU261 regulations on US carriers for flights that do not terminate in the EU. Here's a note from the KLM website regarding the 24-hour refund policy. Note how is specific to their US website --

Special case: Ticket refund within 24 hours of purchase

For the USA only: if you booked a flight on KLM.us, you can apply for a refund within 24 hours after booking (together with any paid option purchased at that time)

Please send an e-mail to: [email protected], and include the following information:
Mention 'Customer First Program' in the subject line
Name
Flight and Date
Reservation Number
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by LBJ
DOT has no jurisdiction over flights that don't originate or end here. While the rule-making is not terribly specific in this regard, I think it's pretty much accepted they have no authority over foreign airlines for flights which operate entirely outside the US. Just as the EU can't force EU261 regulations on US carriers for flights that do not terminate in the EU. Here's a note from the KLM website regarding the 24-hour refund policy. Note how is specific to their US website --

Special case: Ticket refund within 24 hours of purchase

For the USA only: if you booked a flight on KLM.us, you can apply for a refund within 24 hours after booking (together with any paid option purchased at that time)
The DOT might not regulate flights outside the U.S., but they do claim influence over any airline that wishes to operate in or market their flights to customers in the U.S. (Your quote from the KLM Web site supports this.) The federal government can and has blocked payments to companies outside the U.S. that violate U.S. laws, so jurisdiction isn't the issue.

The same is true for EU261 regulations: The EU has remedies available to it (if only financial ones) to enforce compliance with EU law for any airlines that want permission to fly within the EU.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
IME (many bookings ex-lHR), no, DL does not offer the 24 hour canx policy for flights outside of the USA.

From dl.com - Risk-Free Cancellation:

As part of our Customer Commitment, you can get a refund for most eTickets purchased directly through Delta for travel originating in the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Canada. You don’t even have to call.

Once you've bought a qualifying eTicket, you have a day to cancel it for any reason and receive a full refund—including any prepaid fees and Direct Ticketing Charges—with no cancellation fee.

Validity:
Valid for travel originating in the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Canada, regardless of where the eTicket is purchased.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The DOT might not regulate flights outside the U.S., but they do claim influence over any airline that wishes to operate in or market their flights to customers in the U.S. (Your quote from the KLM Web site supports this.) The federal government can and has blocked payments to companies outside the U.S. that violate U.S. laws, so jurisdiction isn't the issue.

The same is true for EU261 regulations: The EU has remedies available to it (if only financial ones) to enforce compliance with EU law for any airlines that want permission to fly within the EU.
Go ahead and try to claim EU261 compensation the next time your SJC-ATL flight is delayed. Let us know how that works out.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by rwoman
IME (many bookings ex-lHR), no, DL does not offer the 24 hour canx policy for flights outside of the USA.

From dl.com - Risk-Free Cancellation:
DL should willing comply with the DOT rule when asked, but if DL refuses a refund for reservations covered by the DOT rule, U.S. customers might need to dispute the charge on their credit card (if necessary, in anticipation of the matter being settled) and file a DOT complaint, which can be done here.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
Go ahead and try to claim EU261 compensation the next time your SJC-ATL flight is delayed. Let us know how that works out.
Not sure what this has to do with this issue.

In case you're interested, do a search: I've cited references in other postings about how EU courts have indeed ruled in favor of the passenger on delays occurring wholly in third countries, although one such ruling was overturned by a higher court because of applicability, not because of jurisdiction.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Not sure what this has to do with this issue.

In case you're interested, do a search: I've cited references in other postings about how EU courts have indeed ruled in favor of the passenger on delays occurring wholly in third countries, although one such ruling was overturned by a higher court because of applicability, not because of jurisdiction.
....but those were EU airlines, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.