Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Does DL's 24-hour cancellation option apply outside USA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does DL's 24-hour cancellation option apply outside USA?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
It applies as long as you booked it on DL.com and you call the US number
Old May 30, 2015, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DOT rules most certainly apply to US carriers wherever they operate in the world. The issue is the scope of the rule in question. The DOT rule only applies to tickets marketed to US consumers. That would typically mean that a ticket purchased on a DL's Japan website is not marketed to US consumers (although a US consumer could choose to use it).

This most recently came up in the mistake fare context (before the new US non-enforcement policy) in which DOT determined that UA had only marketed the fare on its Danish website which is aimed at Danish consumers. Thus, even though US consumers chose to use the Danish website, the post-purchase rules did not apply an UA was off the hook.

Conversely, EC 261/2004, by its express terms, applies to all EU carriers and to all carriers flying xEU.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
DL Attempting To Charge $150 Redeposit Fee For 24 HR Cancel

I just ran into this issue.

Booked an award flight through DL on KE, ICN-HKT less than 24 hours ago. Due to some uncertainty in my plans, I carefully read Delta's Customer Commitment and the Terms & Conditions of its "Risk Free Cancellation" policy to confirm that I would be able to cancel within 24 hours without being charged a redeposit fee. Nowhere does DL state that flights originating outside the US are ineligible for the free cancel. To the contrary, the T&Cs state:

At this time Risk Free Cancellation for itineraries originating outside the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada cannot be completed online. Please contact Delta Reservations at 1-800-221-1212 or by using Delta’s Worldwide Phone Numbers.
This clearly implies that you can cancel for free within 24 hours by calling.

This evening I went to cancel. Tried the website first. It would not allow me to cancel and redeposit unless I paid a $150 fee. So I tried calling. 1 hour + hold times, no call back option offered. So I contacted @Delta on twitter. They advised me:

"Your flight does not originate in the US or Canada and does not qualify for Risk Free Cancellation."

I explained that this "rule" is not published on Delta's website, that free 24 hour cancellation applies to any ticket marketed in the US, and that the website in fact indicates that you can cancel for free by calling. After some back and forth, the twitter team finally canceled and redeposited at no charge (acting as if they were doing me a favor).

These practices are directly contrary to DOT guidance on not hindering passenger attempts to exercise their free cancel rights. Final DOT Guidance on 24 Hour Hold.

I filed a DOT complaint. My first ever.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
People with status below DM/PM need to pay attention to this when they decide to book award tickets as two one ways. In addition to the requirement to pay two cancel/redeposit fees if the trip is cancelled, they risk being forced to pay one such fee even if they cancel within 24 hours.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:07 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
People with status below DM/PM need to pay attention to this when they decide to book award tickets as two one ways. In addition to the requirement to pay two cancel/redeposit fees if the trip is cancelled, they risk being forced to pay one such fee even if they cancel within 24 hours.
Yes. The redeposit fee can be brutal. Especially if it's a family vacation.

That said, I noted in searching for info on this subject that there at least half a dozen threads in the DL forum about DL charging redeposit fees within the 24 hour window. Very very sleazy.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Remember, everything is negotiable with Delta agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.