Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Getting Kicked Out of SkyBonus - How Should I Redeem 113K Points?

Getting Kicked Out of SkyBonus - How Should I Redeem 113K Points?

Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:46 am
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by bergamini
I really have no idea what that means.
It means that Delta employees were utilizing Google to try to find out who I am via my SN on this forum. The thing is, I did this intentionally as a honeypot and I returned the favor and I know who they all, more so than they can imagine. I called and left a message and I believe someone sent an email to the three figures and I'm patiently waiting for a phone call back.

While I understand that have a certain protocol they need to follow and to try to protect SkyBonus - trying to find people off a forum, accessing private details without consent is just not cool. They also need to understand the danger in leaving their names exposed especially when they take away cookies from people and in no way is this a threat. I just happen to be a security researcher and set out a honeypot that they stumbled upon. I would just like an apology from the manager of the team.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
An apology that they possibly researched a possible violation of their program's T&C's?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:03 am

If you have to google "googlefu" do you have it?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by bergamini
An apology that they possibly researched a possible violation of their program's T&C's?
I'm not trying to win anything, I'm also wanting to let them know that they did enough and left enough of a trail that I could find their address, DOB, etc., - If you've seen what 4Chan does with that kind of info, you'd understand why I want to let them know the severity of what they are doing.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I think I need a Sky Breeze.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:53 pm

Delta was checking me out :P
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by fintheman
I'm not trying to win anything, I'm also wanting to let them know that they did enough and left enough of a trail that I could find their address, DOB, etc., - If you've seen what 4Chan does with that kind of info, you'd understand why I want to let them know the severity of what they are doing.
You mean catching a scammer and wannabe extortionist?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta MM; HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hertz Gold
I don't understand your complaint. You posted on this public forum that you were trying to sign up random travel buddies to use your sky bonus account which is prohibited. It sounds like your post was false so why did you post it here and then complain that Delta investigated? I would think that any company who had information that someone was scamming them, would be remiss if they didn't check it out. I also may be dense but don't understand the terms you used. "honeypot and GoogleFu"
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by donnak
I don't understand your complaint. You posted on this public forum that you were trying to sign up random travel buddies to use your sky bonus account which is prohibited. It sounds like your post was false so why did you post it here and then complain that Delta investigated? I would think that any company who had information that someone was scamming them, would be remiss if they didn't check it out. I also may be dense but don't understand the terms you used. "honeypot and GoogleFu"
Honeypot is an information security term for a trap designed to lure attackers so you can observe their behavior. For instance, companies will set up fake servers that they want people to try and breach, so they can secretly observe and learn from the techniques used and fortify their actual equipment. Same concept here - OP claims to have baited DL into searching for him so he could study their behavior.

Fu is skill. GoogleFu is skill at Googling.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta MM; HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
Honeypot is an information security term for a trap designed to lure attackers so you can observe their behavior. For instance, companies will set up fake servers that they want people to try and breach, so they can secretly observe and learn from the techniques used and fortify their actual equipment. Same concept here - OP claims to have baited DL into searching for him so he could study their behavior.

'

Thank you for the explanation!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:03 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Like when teenagers in the sixties put bags of marjoram or oregano in their sock drawers?

OTOH, why we lose nice things. Too many people cheat.

Personally, I don't think catching Delta folks watching for exploiters is big on the applause meter. More a cause to worry one just might be a jerk.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes

Thanks, something are just normal vocabulary to me :/

I personally would have thought having red-handed proof at how far Delta is going would be something people would like to know.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:49 pm

Thanks, something are just normal vocabulary to me :/

I personally would have thought having red-handed proof at how far Delta is going would be something people would like to know.
Yes its shocking that a company would investigate fraud using such incredible technology like Google.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by kop84
Yes its shocking that a company would investigate fraud using such incredible technology like Google.
Again - trying to scour the internet and find personal information on people from a forum is not ethical from a business standpoint no matter how you want to spin it.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Again - trying to scour the internet and find personal information on people from a forum is not ethical from a business standpoint no matter how you want to spin it.
Why? If they have a reasonable suspicion that you are trying "scam" (for lack of a better word) their system, why wouldn't they do due diligence to investigate?

SkyBonus is a great program but it does have an open door for abuse by relying on the honesty of the users and having a verification for the business connection of travelers associated on your account.

Honestly, I don't understand what you are trying to gain by making the comment in this thread other than trolling.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.