Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"$4-5K" to go. FO status hangs in the balance.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"$4-5K" to go. FO status hangs in the balance.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: I don't travel anymore
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
If you don't spend enough to make FO, why chase status at all?? Better be a kettle with a credit card and spend the money on FCM.
I'm really not spending any more than I would without the card, except the annual fee. I just use it to purchase literally everything.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by tristar76
Kind of interested if anyone has been in this situation before (at any status level). What kind of stuff did you buy to get over the limit?
If you own a house, maybe it has some things that need to be fixed? Maybe the water heater is due to be replaced or the bigger appliances are old and worn out? You can easily spend $4-$5k on a few really nice high-end appliances (fridge, dishwasher, range, washer, dryer, etc).

If you do buy appliances, keep an eye out for rebates -- for example, right now Lowes has a 10% rebate on Bosch appliances -- you could put $5k on your SM card to meet your MQD requirements and get $500 of it back as prepaid VISA card. (Assuming you bought the right models and submitted the paperwork correctly & on time!)

Appliances came to mind because we needed a new dishwasher last month. I consulted Consumer Report's online ratings and ended up getting the highest rated dishwasher that was on sale at the time.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by tristar76
Living in the Midwest, I have a small chance at upgrades (has happened) with FO, even on RJ flights, which I expect to increase with the retirement of CRJ200s.
On MD-80 and RJ flights to the Midwest, I sometimes see FA's upgrade random military-in-uniform, or just leave empty seats up front -- which tells me there weren't enough Medallions of any kind to fill the front cabin. Same thing on Saturday RJ's flying up and down the west coast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.