Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta's stance on immigration

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by captiveguru
I am always disappointed when companies take a political stance, especially when there is controversy. I want to buy your product/service without having to worry if I am enabling activities with which I disagree.

I do not have a problem with executives expressing their personal viewpoints, but please do not commit the organization to a particular position.
As long as we have a political system that is heavily dependent on money and lobbying you are indirectly supporting one cause or another. It's just in most cases large entities support these activities via proxies that keep them at arms length from potential controversy.

It would be interesting to see the list of lobbying organizations and PACs DL supports. I wouldn't be surprised if they have expanded their list now that they own an oil refinery.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by houserulz77
I understand your point, but what exactly constitutes a political stance?

Companies, Delta included (emphasis added to make our MODs happy!!), lobby, write position papers, and actively participate in discussion around issues before all branches, and at all levels of government. To some extent, advocating for an LGA/DCA slot swap is just as political as expressing a company opinion on immigration.

Certainly individuals are welcome to critique these positions, and are welcome to avoid doing business with a company when they disagree; but there is more than enough data to suggest that these "boycotts" seldom have an effect.

I think it's also important to remember that while many of us, as individuals, often view even complex issues in black-and-white, larger entities cannot afford to do so.

For example, Delta has been critical of some TSA policies seen as overbearing, while at the same time openly opposing the policy change that allows small knives to be brought on board. Delta also openly opposed arming pilots, although I doubt many upper management folks for an Atlanta-base company would call themselves anti-2nd Amendment.

I know I for one could stand to allow for a little more nuance in my political positions....
Every example you cite directly affects Delta's business and I have no problem with a corporation lobbying for its own interest. But the statement on Delta's website was this:

“Delta Air Lines applauds the steps announced this week to enact much-needed reforms to the nation’s immigration system,” said Joanne Smith, Delta’s Executive Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer. “The President’s actions will provide economic development opportunities and enhance public safety by streamlining legal immigration while cracking down on illegal immigration at the border and focusing on deporting felons rather than families.”

There are a significant number of people who feel "the steps announced this week," are illegal, thus the controversy.

Why did Delta feel a need to endorse this action? What "economic development opportunities" is Delta expecting to benefit from?

The more I read it the madder I get.

Can someone tell me how legal immigration was "streamlined" by the President's actions? More importantly, how does streamlining immigration benefit Delta?

How did the president's actions "crack down on illegal immigration at the border?" And again, how does this benefit Delta?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
Why did Delta feel a need to endorse this action? What "economic development opportunities" is Delta expecting to benefit from?

Can someone tell me how legal immigration was "streamlined" by the President's actions? More importantly, how does streamlining immigration benefit Delta?

How did the president's actions "crack down on illegal immigration at the border?" And again, how does this benefit Delta?
Wait a second.

WAIT A SECOND.

A successful business sees opportunity where you, Mr. Captiveguru, don't?

Well, obviously they are mistaken. Obviously they need to give you call and let you know how all this benefits their business.

Or else. Or else, you'll be "madder".

Give me a break. Companies make moves all the time that are opaque to the kettle. Sometimes companies endorse moves that other people think are unfair, or illegal. Sometimes companies even make these moves themselves.

Stop trying to politicize something (Delta's endorsement of a political move) that isn't. As others have mentioned, it's business, whether you understand it or not.

Also, have some have mentioned, "business" can be a lot of things. It can mean direct benefit in revenue or profitability, or it can just mean good will.

David
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Every example you cite directly affects Delta's business and I have no problem with a corporation lobbying for its own interest. But the statement on Delta's website was this:

“Delta Air Lines applauds the steps announced this week to enact much-needed reforms to the nation’s immigration system,” said Joanne Smith, Delta’s Executive Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer. “The President’s actions will provide economic development opportunities and enhance public safety by streamlining legal immigration while cracking down on illegal immigration at the border and focusing on deporting felons rather than families.”

There are a significant number of people who feel "the steps announced this week," are illegal, thus the controversy.

I don't want, nor do I think the MODs will permit, me to engage in a political debate with you on the subject. The point I was making is that just because Delta's stance on this issue angers you, doesn't make it more or less political.

I know for a fact that there were some very angry individuals, organizations, and companies who felt that the DL/NW merger was illegal as a matter of anti-trust law.

You certainly have the right to be mad, and to stop giving Delta your business. But at the same time, I think your insinuation that this particular issues is more or less political than another issue is based more on your beliefs on the matter than anything else (which by the way is fine).
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Whatever your stance on the issue, this was a really dumb thing for DL to do. Alienate 50% of your customers for no reason. Wow.

An airline should take a stance on political matters such as US energy policy or funding of NextGen ATC. But immigration? Really stupid.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Whatever your stance on the issue, this was a really dumb thing for DL to do. Alienate 50% of your customers for no reason. Wow.

An airline should take a stance on political matters such as US energy policy or funding of NextGen ATC. But immigration? Really stupid.
The question isn't whether or not it alienates 50% of your customers.

The question is whether or not your customers make their spending decisions based on this stance.

I feel comfortable saying they do not. I guess we can revisit in a few months and look at the stock price.

I do think it's cute that you all think you know more about running a successful airline than the people running a successful airline.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by houserulz77
I don't want, nor do I think the MODs will permit, me to engage in a political debate with you on the subject. The point I was making is that just because Delta's stance on this issue angers you, doesn't make it more or less political.

I know for a fact that there were some very angry individuals, organizations, and companies who felt that the DL/NW merger was illegal as a matter of anti-trust law.

You certainly have the right to be mad, and to stop giving Delta your business. But at the same time, I think your insinuation that this particular issues is more or less political than another issue is based more on your beliefs on the matter than anything else (which by the way is fine).
Sorry I got carried away... The point is this; Why stir this pot? Who is going to object if Delta makes no comment on the President's action, which is what most companies have done? Why is this issue so compelling that is requires an unsolicited statement of support?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Sorry I got carried away... The point is this; Why stir this pot? Who is going to object if Delta makes no comment on the President's action, which is what most companies have done? Why is this issue so compelling that is requires an unsolicited statement of support?
That's not a point, that's a list of questions. The answer to which you will only be able to get from somebody fairly high up in Delta management, not from an internet forum.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
DL supports this for one simple reason: more passengers to fly their airline equals more money. They have to sell those E fares to someone.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:09 pm

Anderson's interview on CBS tells me all I need to know:

NORA O’DONNELL: Can I ask you about Delta’s position on immigration? Because I understand that after the President gave his speech on Thursday night, Delta issued a statement that said, “Delta Air Lines applauds the steps to enact much-needed reforms to the nation’s immigration system.” Why speak out about this? It’s controversial.

ANDERSON: Well, if you’ve seen some of the emails I’ve gotten, you would sort of wonder why did I speak out about this.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12966...mmigrants.html
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
the point is this; why stir this pot?
ding ding

how dare common sense enter this room
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
I disagree. I think it is really cunning.

IMHO, the President's actions dramatically increased the number of potential passengers, especially on profitable international routes between the US and Latin America. Having a choice, these new passengers are likely to chose the airline that publicly applauded the changes that made their travel possible.

All the political coverage of this "controversy" is really free advertising for Delta.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
That's not a point, that's a list of questions. The answer to which you will only be able to get from somebody fairly high up in Delta management, not from an internet forum.
Sorry counselor. Let me rephrase:

The point is this; There is no reason to stir this pot. There is no reason to comment on the President's action and risk alienating customers. No one will object to saying nothing.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:39 pm

ding ding

how dare common sense enter this room
What common sense?

The common sense that Delta has decided it makes more business sense to speak up then remain quiet?

What more do you want? There has been many many comments about why Delta would "take a side" on this issue.

The only counter has been, "If I ran the company, that's not what I would do"

What more do you want?

David
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:42 pm

Sorry counselor. Let me rephrase:

The point is this; There is no reason to stir this pot. There is no reason to comment on the President's action and risk alienating customers. No one will object to saying nothing.
There is a difference between there not being a reason, and you not understanding the reason.

As evidenced by many people commenting on this thread, this is obviously a case of the latter, not the former.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.