Wiki Posts
Search

KLM should be eliminated from Skyteam

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Thumbs down KLM should be eliminated from Skyteam

If this thread is repeated somewhere else please delete or combine or whatever you must do:

This year I have flown on a Delta codeshare KLM metal flights from SFO a BUNCH; Delhi, Singapore, Joburg, CDG, LON, among all of my DL flights. Long story short, these KLM people with their Janky planes have gotten a lot of business from me I wouldn't give otherwise, and everytime it's been a process to get into an economy comfort seat.

As i write this I am on a cancelled flight hotel stay in Longyearbyen with an unrelated SAS itinerary, and I rebooked (with fee) a sky team flight that previously took me over an hour to confirm an economy comfort seat on. I had to move flights after said cancellation and now I've been waiting for a KLM rep for 2 hours (on skype no less) to get into another EC seat on my return back to the US on weds (currently 2nd to last row, middle). I called delta and they are powerless to book me a premium economy, and apparently getting lip from some frenchman(their words. The Agent said the "frenchman"(her words) said it was a codeshare and impossible to book me a premium economy seat. Sorry, but I am some 'sky team elite plus' BS which apparently means nothing, why even print it on the boarding pass? KLM just told me that now the seats have been opened up for check in assignment so 24hrs prior to departure i will be able to select an EC seat if still available. Really? there is now way to just assign me one now?

I feel this is completely ridiculous, I paid 2200 dollars originally for this ticket. I am a diamond medallion, whatever that means, and i've flown 170k so far this year, I don't ask for the world, but I sure would like to have the god d)#)# EC seat i had booked on my return without having to wait on hold for now going on 2:15(of Skype credit no less). I mean who do these KLM people with their rickety old biz class and planes think they are, and why is Delta putting up with this nonsense?

If I but a ticket on Delta.com I sure as hell better be able to execute any changes or variations to a ticket as if it was a Delta operated flight purchased on Delta.com. At the moment you purchase a new car off the lot in SF, you drive it home, the fuel pump breaks, and the car dealer sends you to deal with the manufacture of the fuel pump located in the netherlands.

The phrase from the agent was that 'KLM has locked delta tickets out of their system as there were a lot of people getting upgraded to EC with no credentials', seems flimsy to me but I am so sick of KLM and at this point considering leaving Delta just due to the heavy KLM reliance, with no love in return. Firstly, be wary of booking any KLM codeshare on Delta.com and secondly.. thoughts??
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Skyteam is in name only.
AF/KL doesn't care about DL elites. And neither does DL care about Flying Blue elites.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Nov 24, 2014 at 7:16 am Reason: removed an attempt to bypass FT's profanity filter
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm confused. Is your flight KLM operated or could it be a KLM codeshare for a flight operated by AF? This makes a big difference because the KLM EC product is like EC on DL in that they're just special seats with more pitch for which some passengers must pay a fee to book. OTOH the AF Premium Economy cabin is a separate cabin class that requires special Premiun Economy fares.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:23 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
The only thing I can say is, and, I'm SURE others will agree with me, that, as a former NW top level Platinum Elite, I absolutely mourn the loss of the relationship that NW had with KLM every time I travel to Europe! It wasn't perfect, but, it was 100 times more seamless than what we have now, and, on the surface, DL doesn't really seem to care! And, if you had a problem, usually NW could work it out for you, somehow. They just seemed to care more.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was able to get an EC seat via the KL twitter team. Might want to try them instead of calling. My understanding is that KL flights go to airport control at the 48 hour mark and DL agents are no longer able to change seats at that point.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I recently booked a ticket on delta.com involving BUD-AMS and AMS-ATL sectors.

I was automatically booked into EC seats on both legs.

However, when I went to the KLM website and found my reservation (which also indicated I had been assigned EC seats), the seat map would not show up, despite the "help" feature on this site indicating that seat maps were available.

It will be interesting to see what happens in December.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:29 pm

Just had my own bad experience with KLM a couple of days back: old worn out planes/IFE (compared to Delta's recently renovated A330) and most importantly didn't get my selected meal option: they simply started from the front and said they ran out of the option then why the hell there is a pre-select option
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Chisholm

Call Delta and ask to be transferred to the Chisholm office, I guarantee they can take care of this for you.

It's actually quite simple to do, most res agents don't know how though.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:44 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
I had to get my SkyMiles number and PM status called into KLM by an agent at the Platinum desk. After that I was able to ask KLM for help via twitter. Although once it got within a certain amount of time to departure, I wasn't able to view anything on the website, and the twitter people couldn't help me anymore either.

I actually find the quality of service in coach to be better on KLM operated flights.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:13 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by nepaltnf
I called delta and they are powerless to book me a premium economy, and apparently getting lip from some frenchman(their words. The Agent said the "frenchman"(her words) said it was a codeshare and impossible to book me a premium economy seat. Sorry, but I am some 'sky team elite plus' BS which apparently means nothing, why even print it on the boarding pass? KLM just told me that now the seats have been opened up for check in assignment so 24hrs prior to departure i will be able to select an EC seat if still available. Really? there is now way to just assign me one now?

The phrase from the agent was that 'KLM has locked delta tickets out of their system as there were a lot of people getting upgraded to EC with no credentials', seems flimsy to me but I am so sick of KLM and at this point considering leaving Delta just due to the heavy KLM reliance, with no love in return. Firstly, be wary of booking any KLM codeshare on Delta.com and secondly.. thoughts??
The agent is calling the wrong person/department anyway. You say it's an KL flight, even if it's AF-KLM they should contacted a "dutchman" (KLM) not a "frenchman" (AF). The '24hrs rule' and 'KLM locked delta tickets out..' is also strange considering it's a published benefits on both Delta/KLM websites and other Delta Elites + are able to get them in advance without any problem.

Other options that may or may not work for you:

Create a klm.com account (without a Flying Blue #)
Try your Delta PNR/booking code on KLM.com (or air france us and use the their PNR on KLM.com) on select your seat there
Call KLM in the netherlands (not KL aka DL in the USA)
Tweet KLM with the KLM confirmation number, and have them assign your preferred Economy Comfort Seat

After that check your seats at klm.com (using the KLM confirmation number)

Last edited by Grouchy; Nov 24, 2014 at 4:32 am
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:01 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles (silver), Lounge Key
Re KL/DL collaboration

I am also trying to buy the EC seat on KL-operated and DL-booked flight. It seems to be impossible.

@DeltaAssist tweets to me (within three minutes!) this answer: I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, it has to do with technology, the system will not allow. *CB

I called Amsterdam office of KLM and they said they can see seats available (KLM web site says there are 22 available), but they cannot book it as the ticket was DL-issued.

When I tweet to @KLM, who is always quite precise and accurate, they tell me there are NO EC SEATS available. Heh?!? I am puzzled about the whole Skyteam collaboration, it is a decade after it has started, and it still does not work in the simplest ways (I don't even get DL elite status printed on KL ticket).

---

I guess the whole inconvenience related to flying contributed to my decision to travel on ships more. Here is a secret: It's much more comfortable -- and cheaper!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
I have to confess I have never flown KL on a DL ticket.

But I do fly AF constantly on a DL ticket, usually in AF Premium Economy booked via delta.com (W fare).

As you know, AF Premium Economy is a separate class of service, not simply EC. On delta.com I have a limited range of choices for selecting seats in AF PE, but I just go over to airfrance.com and, using the ticket number to find the itinerary, I am able to access the full seat map and select a better seat.

I then check in using airfrance.com, which allows me to check in 30 hours before my departure.

I don't know if any of this applies to klm.com, but I have to imagine that you should be able to access any itinerary on KLM metal by inputting your ticket number on klm.com.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grouchy
The '24hrs rule' and 'KLM locked delta tickets out..' is also strange considering it's a published benefits on both Delta/KLM websites and other Delta Elites + are able to get them in advance without any problem.
This issue is at the 48 hour mark, KL seats go under airport control and the agents can no longer change them. This is mentioned on the KL website and multiple agents have told me this. Then at the 24 hour mark (30 for non-US flights), they can be changed online at check-in or at an airport kiosk.

http://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/prep..._your_seat.htm
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:00 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles (silver), Lounge Key
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
...but I have to imagine that you should be able to access any itinerary on KLM metal by inputting your ticket number on klm.com.
Unfortunately, this is not possible. When I enter KL booking code (or delta code, it doesn't matter) on KLM website, I can see everything, but do not have the option to change my seat. Not even months in advance.

Again, that is when my flight number is "codeshared" under DL number, on the KL-operated flight.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Do you have an KLM account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.