Wiki Posts
Search

DTW Shutdown Currently Due To Ice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Exclamation DTW Shutdown Currently Due To Ice

Currently DTW is not accepting landings and no planes are taking off due to icy conditions. Looks like another hour or so before the temps warm up and the ice turns to rain.

A red eye from PDX skidded off the runway after landing this morning.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/d...tions/29877440
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Things are starting to move at DTW -- a spot check of a couple of flights indicates things are running about 2.5 hours late -- getting there by car maybe a bigger issue.

Bob H.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:58 am
Formerly known as scootr29

My niece and her friend and her friend's mom are trying to make it to Charleston, SC for a cruise ship that departs at 4pm....probably not going to make that. Bummer.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:05 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by scootr29
My niece and her friend and her friend's mom are trying to make it to Charleston, SC for a cruise ship that departs at 4pm....probably not going to make that. Bummer.
It's too bad they are flying on the same day as their cruise departure. Did the book flights through the cruise line? If so they might have some hope of catching up to it at the next port.

Last edited by TTT; Nov 22, 2014 at 10:12 am
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:11 am

Friends don't let friends book flights on same day of cruise departure. ~hundreds - ~thousands spent on cruise fare - spend the extra hundreds on one night hotel and arrive day prior!
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:14 am

I agree...wife and I found out about the trip this morning. We have traveled all around the world and yet immediate family member refuse to ask our advice. Hope everything works out for them. They will have minutes to spare once they touch down at CHS.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by bowdenj
Friends don't let friends book flights on same day of cruise departure. ~hundreds - ~thousands spent on cruise fare - spend the extra hundreds on one night hotel and arrive day prior!
AMEN!
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Curious about which flight they are on. I see DL6390 is in-flight with estimated arrival at 2:52PM (scheduled arrival is 2:28PM). Carnival shows a 3:00PM check-in cutoff. Did they really book a flight with 2:28PM scheduled arrival for a cruise with a 3:00PM check-in cutoff? Crazy.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
Curious about which flight they are on. I see DL6390 is in-flight with estimated arrival at 2:52PM (scheduled arrival is 2:28PM). Carnival shows a 3:00PM check-in cutoff. Did they really book a flight with 2:28PM scheduled arrival for a cruise with a 3:00PM check-in cutoff? Crazy.
No they were on a 845am flight out of DTW to ATL to CHS....the 3 hour delay out of DTW messed eveyrthing up. Either way they made the ship just barely....hopefully they learned their lesson.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:24 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
No they were on a 845am flight out of DTW to ATL to CHS....the 3 hour delay out of DTW messed eveyrthing up. Either way they made the ship just barely....hopefully they learned their lesson.
Good to hear!^
Old Nov 22, 2014, 4:24 pm

My Plat friend was on DL 394, PDX-DTW, the one that went off the taxiway and closed ruwnay 21L.

DL offered them 5000 SkyPesos.

I felt that was insulting, as I had a previous situation where we diverted, but then went back to our original airport to land--the computer said it cxld and they automatically credited 25k.

LiveATC audio had the previous landing report decent braking action on the runway, but slippage on the taxiway. Monday morning quarterbacks may say they should have diverted, but at that hour, coming off a redeye, there's very little pilot reports to compare.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by BobH
Things are starting to move at DTW -- a spot check of a couple of flights indicates things are running about 2.5 hours late -- getting there by car maybe a bigger issue.

Bob H.
Yeah, that is problem. They couldn't get out of airports. They were unable to fly out from DTW. The weather is so terrible. I think the flight is being cancelled tonight. This is not a good days. Hopefully in a few days. They will get better.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:34 pm

Either way they made the ship just barely
Good news! I am sure they relieved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.