Wiki Posts
Search

1 traveler, 2 PNRs, irrops.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
1 traveler, 2 PNRs, irrops.

tried to find this answer but was unsuccessful, so turning to wisdom here. i have an upcoming work trip that, unfortunately, necessitated buying two reservations due to a combination of personal and professional travel. so i now have two PNRs:

1) PIT-JFK (DL)
2) JFK-CDG (DL)

I think I understand that DL will check my bags through because both legs are are operated by Delta, but my concern is that it's only a 51-minute layover in JFK. What would happen if the first leg is delayed/cancelled? Would DL treat this as one ticket and help me rebook, or would I be on my own?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: DL DM
"Technically", they are not responsible for any issues in this case. You would be financially responsible for any problems or delays that would cause you to misconnect. In all likelihood, Delta will help you out (in most cases). YMMV.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The OP's money is spent, but for others, here's an opinion:

A 51-minute connection domestic to international on separate tickets at JFK is an unspeakably bad plan.

Travelers on separate tickets that do no meet the Minimum Connect Time may find a ticket agent decline to check bags through to the final destination.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by 3Cforme

A 51-minute connection domestic to international on separate tickets at JFK is an unspeakably bad plan.
I agree. I book separate PNRs almost 100% of the time when I fly international but I always try to leave at least a 3 hour cushion on my INT "connection".
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
1) PIT-JFK (DL)
Try and go to the airport and standby for an earlier flight PIT-JFK.
You maybe able to get a same day confirmed at 24 hours.
See if you are able to pay for 1st class on the earlier flight, thus not having to pay for any change fees.
Call the DL CS line and explain your personal/ work situation and see if they would get you confirmed on an earlier flight PIT-JFK even if you have to pay for 1st class on the PIT-JFK sector.

DL will check your bags through because both legs are are operated by Delta.

A 51-minute layover in JFK is cutting it real close/ fine.

Would DL treat this as one ticket and help me rebook, or would I be on my own?
No, Delta may not treat this as one ticket. Yes, you could be on your own.
Hence try and go by the earlier flight as a standby at least.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:22 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The OP's money is spent, but for others, here's an opinion:

Travelers on separate tickets that do no meet the Minimum Connect Time may find a ticket agent decline to check bags through to the final destination.
Looks like 51 minutes is one minute more than MCT (assuming a T2 - T4 connection). I agree, cutting it way too close.

Even if on separate tickets, if the "connection" violates any MCT or other connection rules Delta likely won't check the bags through.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
"Technically", they are not responsible for any issues in this case. You would be financially responsible for any problems or delays that would cause you to misconnect. In all likelihood, Delta will help you out (in most cases). YMMV.
I agree completely. I also have an itinerary coming up which could not be put on the same PNR because it involves an award ticket and a paid one. I asked Customer Service about what would happen in case a flight from one itinerary does not land in time to make the next flight and was told "We will try to help you" but could not guarantee it.

Last year, in December, my TLV-JFK flight arrived 36 hours late. Fortunately, my connecting flight to LAS was on the same itinerary.

I don't expect that extreme a delay this time, but am giving myself 29 hours between flights.

TLV-JFK (award ticket): Scheduled to arrive JFK at 5:09 am, Dec 24
JFK-LAS (paid ticket): Scheduled to depart JFK at 10:14 am, Dec 25

(After that, there should be no problem as I have 9 days in Vegas and 3 in Atlanta before beginning my return award travel.)
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:57 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I'm guessing that the OP isn't familiar with JFK, all the possible things that can go wrong there, and the logistics of getting from Terminal 2 to the far gates at Terminal 4, or he never would have booked this.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A year or two I was forced to have two PNRs for flights that really were a connection with lots of time. I asked the DM line what would happen in IROPs and was reassured that I would be rebooked. However, note that I'm DM and my flights not only satisfied MCT but also SCT.

SCT = sensible connecting time, not an abbreviation due to me.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

thanks all for the replies. i am, unfortunately, well aware of the dangers of JFK. the earlier flight gets me to JFK almost 5 hours earlier, so it was a choice between waiting 5-hours and cutting it close. the agent looked and said it met the MCT requirements, as you could book PIT-JFK-CDG on one ticket legally.

that said, all of your replies have made me a bit nervous, so I may look at taking an earlier PIT-LGA flight and then a taxi to JFK. blah.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP has two tickets, not just two reservations.

The MCT for D-I at JFK for DL is 1:15. OP fails that by 24 minutes. It is extraordinarily unlikely that DL at PIT will check OP's bag through as the MCT problem will show on the agent's screen as soon as the agent attempts to print a bag tag. Thus, OP will need to exit, pick up his bag and take it to the counter to check. But, he will have missed the bag check deadline and he will also have missed the gate deadline of T-30.

Put simply, what OP is attempting will not work. And because he has booked under the MCT, it is possible that DL which would ordinarily handle a rebook as a space available courtesy, won't do so here.

SDC is an option but is dependent on SDC rules. I would suck it up and pay the $200 change fee (and hope that there's no fare difference) rather than risk having to buy a TATL ticket at walkup prices and then be seated in whatever is left for seats.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:06 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Another thought . . . .

As I check the schedule, there are 5 flights a day from JFK/CDG. 4 of them are AF operated with DL 10xx flight numbers that depart from terminal 1. The other flight IS DL operated with a DL4xx flight number that will (more than likely) leave from terminal 4.

Your PIT/JFK flight will almost certainly arrive at Terminal 2.

Are you sure you're on the Delta operated flight? If you're on an AF op'd flight - with a 51 minute connection, and having to get from terminal 2 to terminal 1, and reclear security, etc, I'd say you'd be screwed!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:42 am
Original Poster

thanks for the feedback. i was able to change to a PIT-LGA flight that arrives at 3:48pm without penalty/fee. i'll take a cab to JFK and hope to arrive around 5:30/6pm latest.

thanks again!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:53 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by neildibiase
thanks for the feedback. i was able to change to a PIT-LGA flight that arrives at 3:48pm without penalty/fee. i'll take a cab to JFK and hope to arrive around 5:30/6pm latest.

thanks again!
You do realize that with an airport change, you won't be able to check a bag through, don't you?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by neildibiase
thanks all for the replies. i am, unfortunately, well aware of the dangers of JFK. the earlier flight gets me to JFK almost 5 hours earlier, so it was a choice between waiting 5-hours and cutting it close. the agent looked and said it met the MCT requirements, as you could book PIT-JFK-CDG on one ticket legally..
I would wait and have 5 waited hours at JFK.

Last edited by hnewman; Nov 23, 2014 at 7:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.