Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for creative routings BOS-BOM

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum

I just found out that early next year, I'll be flying BOS-BOM to visit my team there again. The simplest routing for me would be BOS-AMS-BOM, all on DL metal. That's what I did last year, and I'm looking to try some new experiences. Any thoughts on what I should do?

Here is where my thinking is at the moment:
  • My company will pay about $2200, which is the cost of a PE seat on BA or AF. Anything above that I need to pay out of pocket.
  • I'm willing to pay upto $2k out of pocket to have an awesome experience and to be able to sleep on the flights.
  • Right now, DL has some good deals on flights via CDG and AMS.
  • My ultimate destination is PNQ, and BOM is the easiest way to get there, but I'm not afraid to take a local flight from DEL.
  • I would prefer to avoid CDG at all costs.
  • I fly via AMS all the time and love the airport, but it's getting old. I want to try something new.
  • I find the AF PE seats very uncomfortable and would like to avoid those.
  • VS has killed their LHR-BOM route, so that eliminates my options for BOS-LHR-BOM.
  • I fly TATL all the time and want to find a TPAC option if possible.
  • I'd love to fly KE, MU, CZ, or another Asian carrier since I've never done that.
  • Since I'm a DL PM, my preference is to fly on a ST carrier.
  • At the start of the year, I'll be 20K miles away from requalifying as GM, so I'd love to hit that with one trip.
  • Long layovers (even overnighters) with outstanding lounges are a welcome bonus.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite

Well first things first, starting April AMS-BOM is being axed - not sure if KL is adding a flight but the DL is gone. CDG has improved though, and especially in the last few years it's now a breeze to connect through.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
You want different experiences?
Try:
a. JFK-Moscow-DEL on Aeroflot

b. JFK-Riyadh/Jeddah - BOM/HYD/DEL on Saudi Arabian airlines
(no liquor on these flights)

c. JFK-ICN-BOM on KE

Last edited by dd1612; Nov 21, 2014 at 11:27 pm
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:33 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Via russia would be nice but you would be paying more $
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

It looks like my best options are into BOM.

Love the idea of flying KE, but at the moment, it's cost prohibitive.

If I'm going to fly a non-ST airline and pay loads of money for it, I'm going to cross SQ off my travel bucket list. Although EK would have the most convenient non-ST connections for me.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Have you considered LH via MUC or LX via ZRH? The LH flight seems to have better connections.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:52 am
Suspended

Be on the look out for some J deals. TK might have some.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:10 pm

Start in YYZ/YUL for much better fares. E.g. 2500-3500 range to DEL (and in some cases BOM). You can route via NYC on the return. Try UA.

Also cheap for Skyteam is SZ from YYZ via JED @ $2300. Though not a carrier I would pick.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

It looks like my trip is going to become a reality.

Here is the clincher... I'm 10k miles away from hitting DM, and I would prefer to stay PM with a nice bank of miles to roll over.

If I fly out on Dec 31 BOS-AMS in J, I know that I'll stay platinum.

The question is about the AMS-BOS leg. The leg will actually be flown on 1/1/2015. How will it post? Will I get the MQMS for BOS-AMS in 2014 and AMS-BOM in 2015? Or will they all post in 2014?

If it all posts to 2014, that means the 11585 miles I earn will put me over the Diamond threshold and I will have little to roll over into 2015. Since I know I won't be flying as much in 2015, I would prefer to stay PM and have a nice bank to roll over.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by mikehillwig
If I fly out on Dec 31 BOS-AMS in J, I know that I'll stay platinum.

The question is about the AMS-BOS leg. The leg will actually be flown on 1/1/2015. How will it post? Will I get the MQMS for BOS-AMS in 2014 and AMS-BOM in 2015? Or will they all post in 2014?

If it all posts to 2014, that means the 11585 miles I earn will put me over the Diamond threshold and I will have little to roll over into 2015. Since I know I won't be flying as much in 2015, I would prefer to stay PM and have a nice bank to roll over.
Since the AMS-BOS leg will actually be flown on 1/1/2015, all MQMs, MQDs, and RDMs earned on this flight will post in 2015.
  • You will get all MQMs, MQDs, and RDMs earned for BOS-AMS in 2014.
  • You will get all MQMs, MQDs, and RDMs earned for AMS-BOS in 2015.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 10:07 am
Original Poster

I did that wrong. It's the AMS-BOM leg that's in question. If I fly it on 1/1/2015, even though the first leg of the trip was on 12/31/2014, where will the second leg post?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.