Wiki Posts
Search

Massive mileage balances

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Massive mileage balances

I know many of you subscribe to the earn and burn school when it comes to accumulating miles, but I've been saving up. With all these upcoming changes it appears that what I will want to redeem for will cost me more than previously, but I'm going to look at it positively:

This Thanksgiving I am thankful that I have banked so many miles so that I have plenty to play with in the future.

Anyone else looking at it this way?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:12 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
I normally earn and burn but have about 500k left this year, I would say I would use them but the milage chart for 2015 in Asia will not be rolled out till 2016
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
No, I am an earn and burn kind of guy. After booking a SM ticket to go skiing with the guys in February, I have a grand total of 728 miles left in my account.

TOTAL AVAILABLE MILES

Last edited by DYKWIA2014; Nov 22, 2014 at 9:23 am
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VegasJosh
I normally earn and burn but have about 500k left this year, I would say I would use them but the milage chart for 2015 in Asia will not be rolled out till 2016

The chart can be found here: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...east-asia.html
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:51 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
wow way to go delta like 6 weeks ahead of time and it only went up like 5k
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:25 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Knowing delta they might change it a few more times next year
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:58 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Knowing delta they might change it a few more times next year
but they will be exciting new changes don't forget that always help me like adding more tiers since low to BKK was last available during the first Bush administration
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:03 am

Programs: DL DM
wow way to go delta like 6 weeks ahead of time and it only went up like 5k
It's been out for weeks...you couldn't find it....so it's DL's fault?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
I earn and burn most, but find it hard getting rid of Delta miles. I'm looking forward to the option to finally book one way awards
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
but they will be exciting new changes don't forget that always help me like adding more tiers since low to BKK was last available during the first Bush administration
Searching LAX-BKK on the 5-week window I'm getting DL, KE, and AS+KE saver options in Jan + Feb.

If delta.com added CI inventory (Flying Blue does) and GA inventory it would be a boon for Southeast Asia destinations.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I know many of you subscribe to the earn and burn school when it comes to accumulating miles, but I've been saving up. With all these upcoming changes it appears that what I will want to redeem for will cost me more than previously, but I'm going to look at it positively:

This Thanksgiving I am thankful that I have banked so many miles so that I have plenty to play with in the future.

Anyone else looking at it this way?
I agree. I never did understand the logic of burning miles just because one is afraid they might be less valuable in the future. Holding my miles and using them when I really need them, like for BE international flights to board cruises, has worked well for DW and me. We've always been able to find fairly reasonable award tickets with a little work.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I normally earn and burn but have about 500k left this year ---
Yes I am the same with about 500K left also. Burned 80K this Thanksgiving for me and the wife to go to Key West/Everglades.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Mrs. TrojanTraveler and I have millions. But I have not deliberately been saving up. I mostly want to use them for int'l J, and it's just too hard to use them. DL's award tool isn't very usable, and I don't have time to get on the phone with one clueless agent after another. So the miles pile up.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Deleted

Last edited by DL2SXM; Nov 21, 2014 at 6:51 pm
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I am over a million but I have not immediate intention to burn them yet.

Having a large bank of balance helped giving me the flexibility. Dec 2013 my uncle was on his last hours and I was able to get BE to HKG for DW and I next flight out at 240k SM each vs $12k+. If I did not have the SM balance that trip might not have been possible.

This massive balance also enable me to help getting people to work for worth while, life and community transformation causes overseas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.