Wiki Posts
Search

Massive mileage balances

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by tentseller
I am over a million but I have not immediate intention to burn them yet.

Having a large bank of balance helped giving me the flexibility. Dec 2013 my uncle was on his last hours and I was able to get BE to HKG for DW and I next flight out at 240k SM each vs $12k+. If I did not have the SM balance that trip might not have been possible.

This massive balance also enable me to help getting people to work for worth while, life and community transformation causes overseas.
I went to South Africa earlier this year to see a Bruce Springsteen concert (Cape Town). I bought a refundable Y fare with only the outbound (ATL - JNB) clearing. About 2 days before the trip, the JNB to ATL went down to one available seat in BE. I actually spoke to someone in RA's office who told me I was #2 for the UG so it was highly improbable I would clear. I did the next best thing and cancelled the revenue ticket and booked a BE ticket all around. It cost me a pretty penny in mileage for the ticket but at least I had the miles in the bank and got confirmed BE seats.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I bought a refundable Y fare with only the outbound (ATL - JNB) clearing.
Did you get your GUC back?

You must be his biggest fan to fly all that way!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Did you get your GUC back?

You must be his biggest fan to fly all that way!
I used miles and yes, I did get them back.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:56 am
Original Poster

I never think about using miles to upgrade, but it may still be a good value after this round of changes. Unlikely that I'll ever be willing to pay for an M fare though.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I never think about using miles to upgrade, but it may still be a good value after this round of changes. Unlikely that I'll ever be willing to pay for an M fare though.
One of the reason for my account's growth since the merger was not being able to use them to upgrade to WBC(NW) on TPAC flights.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
It seems to ebb and flow every few years, it grows to over a million and then falls to 700-800K and then builds again. With family issues this year, we burned about 500K, so time to build again.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, , Delta 2MM & DM UA Gold
With a family of five and trips take 200000 each, having the million plus miles right now is a nice cusion. If I stopped flying. With my 2 family trips a year, I have 3 years when I stop massive flying
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
I agree. I never did understand the logic of burning miles just because one is afraid they might be less valuable in the future. Holding my miles and using them when I really need them, like for BE international flights to board cruises, has worked well for DW and me. We've always been able to find fairly reasonable award tickets with a little work.
If you are accumulating them on OPM, fine. If you are MR or, even worse, paying cash for them, its incredibly stupid.

1M miles at 1cpm is 10,000 USD. Investing this in the market over 3 years will return more in cash than the devalued miles 3 years down the road, and cash will buy you a lot more travel than miles, anytime.

In the last three, buying the SP500 would have made your 10000 about 18000 USD.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
If you are accumulating them on OPM, fine. If you are MR or, even worse, paying cash for them, its incredibly stupid.

1M miles at 1cpm is 10,000 USD. Investing this in the market over 3 years will return more in cash than the devalued miles 3 years down the road, and cash will buy you a lot more travel than miles, anytime.

In the last three, buying the SP500 would have made your 10000 about 18000 USD.
Actually, I think you could get many more BE tickets with 1 million miles than with $10,000.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
last year had around 750k, burned em down to about 0, back up to 125k as of now.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:50 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
I don't know if 1.1 million is a massive balance but that's what I had before I started burning due to the devaluations and my suspicion of more to come. I'm down to about 450k and want to try to burn a them all within 2015.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Why the rush, HongKonger? Especially if you know it's going to cost you more in the future?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:33 am
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
I haven't redeemed a single skymile since I've started flying - about to hit a million.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fintheman
I haven't redeemed a single skymile since I've started flying - about to hit a million.
^ I admire your perseverance. I too am approaching seven figures.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/3.4 MM, DLAmex Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite, Hertz Gold 5*
^ I admire your perseverance. I too am approaching seven figures.
I am back over 1,000,000 after blowing a bunch a few years ago when the Amex $100 gift cards were only 11K pesos and Ruth Chris $250 gift cards were 25K pesos.

Most of what I have blown in the last couple years were on the Sky Marketplace.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.