Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta goes with Airbus; A350-900 & A330NEO

Delta goes with Airbus; A350-900 & A330NEO

Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:16 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
I don't see anything in your quote that says Boeing is moving anything back to the US

AFAIK no major pieces have been moved to the US.
at present time 30% of the plane is made here and 70% is made elsewhere, also 100% is assembled in SC. So you are right that a large part is done overseas in relation to the 350 that is 0% here. Also some articles have said that since JAL did a 9.4b order with airbus Boeing is considering moving a large portion of manufacturing that was done there back home. Nothing is final just rumors at this point.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow
I'm actually very happy about this. The 3-3-3 787 is a VERY uncomfortable ride...it feels to me about like the 3-4-3 777. From a customer-comfort perspective....Airbus wins hands-down.
Until Delta puts in the same seat width on the Airbus'. It's not the manufacturer, it's the airline.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
When it comes to replacing a 767 the 330/350 are overkill. A 787 is the best 767 replacement. Airbus has nothing in the 767 size/range category.
Airbus will have the A330-800NEO, which is close to the 767 capacity. I can see Delta ordering it. I think this new A330NEO/A350 order means Delta will eventually cancel its 787 orders.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by VegasJosh
at present time 30% of the plane is made here and 70% is made elsewhere, also 100% is assembled in SC. So you are right that a large part is done overseas in relation to the 350 that is 0% here. Also some articles have said that since JAL did a 9.4b order with airbus Boeing is considering moving a large portion of manufacturing that was done there back home. Nothing is final just rumors at this point.
ugh. once again, Google before posting.

I don't know a % base but the A350 (and Airbus in general) have vendors based in the US. Spirit for example (who makes 737 fuselages) makes middle fuselage sections for the A350. GE does some trailing edge work for the airplane and flap work. Parker Aerospace is doing fuel and Hydro systems for the A350. Goodrich is the landing gear vendor for the program

So yes, Airbus has vendors in the US, large vendors. (matter of fact the TrentXWB also has many us suppliers too.)
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:28 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
ugh. once again, Google before posting.

I don't know a % base but the A350 (and Airbus in general) have vendors based in the US. Spirit for example (who makes 737 fuselages) makes middle fuselage sections for the A350. GE does some trailing edge work for the airplane and flap work. Parker Aerospace is doing fuel and Hydro systems for the A350. Goodrich is the landing gear vendor for the program

So yes, Airbus has vendors in the US, large vendors. (matter of fact the TrentXWB also has many us suppliers too.)
so you are contending so we get this clear Delta ordering 350's is better or as good for the US marketplace as the 787?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:31 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
well another reason to head for the door as I personally prefer boeing planes vs airbus for various reasons
Elaborate?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:42 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Originally Posted by 355F1
Elaborate?
well as you can see with a Dawgfan I believe buying and flying Boeing as much as possible for the same reason I prefer to buy made in USA products as much as possible, and even though the 787 is made in part out of the country and the 350 has some manufactures in the USA, Boeing is an American company and I support them. Also I am not as much of a fan of fly by wire. As one of my close friends is a 747 pilot and convinced me of the advantages of the Boeing system and I am inclined to listen to him and his 40+ years of flying. So to recap, I like supporting an American company and more importantly I believe from a functional standpoint Boeing is a safer aircraft. Just my thoughts and feelings
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:54 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
well as you can see with a Dawgfan I believe buying and flying Boeing as much as possible for the same reason I prefer to buy made in USA products as much as possible, and even though the 787 is made in part out of the country and the 350 has some manufactures in the USA, Boeing is an American company and I support them. Also I am not as much of a fan of fly by wire. As one of my close friends is a 747 pilot and convinced me of the advantages of the Boeing system and I am inclined to listen to him and his 40+ years of flying. So to recap, I like supporting an American company and more importantly I believe from a functional standpoint Boeing is a safer aircraft. Just my thoughts and feelings
Fair enough.

I thought you were implying that Airbus makes better/quieter/more comfortable/etc planes, and was just curious what the differences were that you liked in the Airbus product.

I like the A380 cuz it is so quiet...and the upper deck has the ledge on the window seats....which is perfect for sleeping in Y for me.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:03 am
Formerly known as jbalis

Originally Posted by 355F1
Fair enough.

I thought you were implying that Airbus makes better/quieter/more comfortable/etc planes, and was just curious what the differences were that you liked in the Airbus product.

I like the A380 cuz it is so quiet...and the upper deck has the ledge on the window seats....which is perfect for sleeping in Y for me.
I can understand people might prefer 1 over the other for various reasons, and I understand that Delta will pick 1 over the other for their reason as well. Just as I prefer to buy American when I can and often pay a little bit more for that, and to me thats ok, to others maybe not. Some people think the fly by wire is great and like a computer to have more input, personally I like the Boeing method. I fly TPAC 98% of my flights and have come to enjoy and trust the 74 and 76. These changes are on my routing and does effect my decision making process thats all.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond
777s and 787s are fly by wire aircraft. Even Boeing has admitted that it is the better way to build an aircraft.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:43 am

i think it's comical when people get all "USA! USA! USA!" in these discussions.

if you read the article, it looks like a major determining factor in the order is that delta could get the planes it requires delivered on the schedule that they wanted from airbus and NOT from boeing. it's not always about seat width and cabin size.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Just as I prefer to buy American when I can...
What make and model of car do you drive? What model did this vehicle replace? How about that of your spouse/SO?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Every1 Get A Life
777s and 787s are fly by wire aircraft. Even Boeing has admitted that it is the better way to build an aircraft.
authoritative info from pilots and system engineers/analysts is welcome, but I believe the major design difference is that Boeing's fly-by-wire control system designs allow sustained manual inputs to override pre-programmed limiters, whereas Airbus' do not

Originally Posted by squatch
... it looks like a major determining factor in the order is that delta could get the planes it requires delivered on the schedule that they wanted ...
+1
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
I am certainly pleased with this announcement as refuse to fly transatlantic on a 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 layout aircraft. Delta will not only win my international flying in the future, they will win my domestic travel where possible! I appreciate Delta's approach of "improving the customer experience". It is so noticeable on the ground and in the air. To me, this is another commitment by Delta to focus on the customer experience. Regarding the SEA transpacific hub, this is a huge plus for Seattle regardless of the aircraft Delta flies.

Last edited by CLTRob; Nov 20, 2014 at 7:22 am
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by CLTRob
I am certainly pleased with this announcement as refuse to fly transatlantic on a 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 layout aircraft. Delta will not only win my international flying in the future, they will win my domestic travel where possible! I appreciate Delta's approach of "improving the customer experience". It is so noticeable I the ground and in the air. To me, this is another commitment by Delta to focus on the customer experience.
Actually, the A350 will be 3-3-3. It is still a wider-seat than the 787. I know it is the carrier that picks the interior, but 3-4-3 isn't possible on the A350 with mainstream seating, and 3-3-3 on the a330 seems to be only with charter carriers - about as common as the 2-4-2 on the 767. I know carriers pick the interior, but Airbus has done a masterful job keeping them in line with what is possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.