Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta says next year i will earn over 1.2mm miles......

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
No email either

MQD's through Oct $9,697 MQM's 138K
RDM's earned in 2014 so far as Diamond 310K

2015 assuming same spend (which will most likely be much less)
RDM's = 106.7K

C'est la vie
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum

All these targeted emails went out to only those who will earn more RDMs next year as a result of the program change. Everyone else got a rock, or in this case no email at all. Would have better to send an email to everyone so we all knew how the 2015 Delta Skymiles projections would be, good or bad, rather than "hiding" the numbers from those who would not fare as well under the new program.

Originally Posted by daveland
It's really brilliant marketing. Make sure the high spenders (who are all they want anyway) know this program enhancement actually is an enhancement for them. Keep quiet with everyone else....
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by Lefleur
I am curious how they decided who to send this to as it seems most of you who got it are DM. I am not a big spender with Delta. Due to corporate travel policies, though I fly regularly I am always on random carriers. I have only spent a few thousand dollars with Delta for the year; I am silver; and I have not even re-qualified for next year (I have about 20kish BIS miles with each of three different carriers for this year). I don't get a lot of promo offers and I don't have a Delta Amex. It seems this email went to folks that Delta deemed HVC (in terms of spending) perhaps - No clue why I'd end up on that list.

The only thoughts I had -- this year I did buy two very expensive tickets (in the thousands) with Delta codeshare partners (did not buy through Delta) - could they share this info and Delta think I am spending a lot more on tickets with partners (and trying to get my business)? Unlikely I think. The other thought I had - and this relates to my confusion upthread - is that I spend a lot at Starwood properties. I am elite with Starwood and am on track to earn something like 50,000 points this year with them (I think SPG is a dollar per 3 points, so that's a bit crazy, to me anyways). With the cross-over programs, is Delta surmising I travel a lot?

Of course the most likely explanation: human error
DL knows of those code share flights bc you used your DL FF # probably right?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by anbhc
All these targeted emails went out to only those who will earn more RDMs next year as a result of the program change. Everyone else got a rock, or in this case no email at all. Would have better to send an email to everyone so we all knew how the 2015 Delta Skymiles projections would be, good or bad, rather than "hiding" the numbers from those who would not fare as well under the new program.
Why would a company do that? Why would a company point out a negative to customers? DL isn't your friend, your relative or a club to which you belong. DL is a publicly traded company trying to make a profit for its stakeholders. Would you reach out to your customers and tell them why doing business with you in the future isn't a good idea?

Nobody is hiding anything. DL told us months and months ahead of time that there would be changes, and how the numbers are going to be calculated going forward. Anyone with a calculator can easily know the difference between earnings this year and next.

The fact that so many of us got the email shows that plenty of us will do better under the new system.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Many of us will NOT be earning more under the new program that got the email.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How many ways are there? My e-mail said "FIVE WAYS", others seem to say 7 or 9? Anyone spot the differences?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:56 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I got the email, subject line was "Not Everyone is Getting This Email". I'm just a general member, but I already knew that I'll earn more with the new program. Also, the spend in the email was off by a lot. It was over double what my MQD are currently - maybe it is because I bought some tickets for others?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by United747
I got the email, subject line was "Not Everyone is Getting This Email". I'm just a general member, but I already knew that I'll earn more with the new program. Also, the spend in the email was off by a lot. It was over double what my MQD are currently - maybe it is because I bought some tickets for others?
It's more likely that the inflated numbers were due to IT borrowing some code from the award calendar.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by yohanson
It's more likely that the inflated numbers were due to IT borrowing some code from the award calendar.
If that's the case, I'm surprised it didn't say I'd earn 250k miles next year!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum

If you send to one group, you should send to all, or not send at all. For those getting lower RDMs, the numbers will help you to rethink the ways you purchase tickets, and perhaps spend more to earn more.

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Why would a company do that? Why would a company point out a negative to customers? DL isn't your friend, your relative or a club to which you belong. DL is a publicly traded company trying to make a profit for its stakeholders. Would you reach out to your customers and tell them why doing business with you in the future isn't a good idea?

Nobody is hiding anything. DL told us months and months ahead of time that there would be changes, and how the numbers are going to be calculated going forward. Anyone with a calculator can easily know the difference between earnings this year and next.

The fact that so many of us got the email shows that plenty of us will do better under the new system.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:25 pm

If you send to one group, you should send to all, or not send at all. For those getting lower RDMs, the numbers will help you to rethink the ways you purchase tickets, and perhaps spend more to earn more.
I have to disagree. In a flyer for a store, do they advertise the prices that increased? No, they highlight the discounts. It's the same thing here. They want to point out to the HVC* that they will actually get more for the same price. This is just targeted advertising at its best. I don't see how it is different from DL targeting the Seattle and NY areas with medallion promos.

If I'm Delta, I don't want to tell certain customers that they'll get shafted with the new program.

*By HVC, I mean anyone that benefits in the new program.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Delta is a business, not a kindergarden teacher.

And you cannot really think pointing out to people that they will be earning less will really get them to spend more. Most people are rational and realize spending more to get SMs is ridiculous. It's like buying a truckload of Cracker Jacks to get a pile of rub-on tattoos you could have bought for a couple dollars. And, as was stated earlier, business travelers don't recklessly spend employer's money to earn SMs, as that type of behavior gets people fired.

DL uses SMs to get people to spend the money they are already going to spend on airline travel with DL, instead of UA, AA or WN. Yes, there may be a few fools who think spending more to get SMs makes sense, but DL surely realizes that's a small group and shouldn't target their advertising dollars towards those fools.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.