Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

OFFICAL from Delta: Award Stopovers & Open Jaw GONE #Skymiles2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OFFICAL from Delta: Award Stopovers & Open Jaw GONE #Skymiles2015

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HongKonger
I hope to spend my remaining half million miles before something really disastrous happens.
I still think we will see a move to a fixed-value redemption program (1 skymiles = 1 cent) in the future. Late 2015 perhaps?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: DL-Platinum
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you can post some examples or rules, great. Otherwise this is just speculation.
This is not speculation. Go and book a one way award from Budapest-New York JFK on January 23rd. The cost is 60,000 miles for low level economy (which will eventually be 30,000 miles come January 1st). However, the taxes are $257 USD ($144 USD of which is the fuel surcharge).
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by TTT
That's a really good point. I hope that a JFK-LHR, AMS-JFK trip (even if on the same PNR) doesn't incur the European origination surcharge for the AMS-JFK segment but I fear that it might.
And those European surcharges for business class can be significant.

What I really don't get is, if DL is routing me via X city, what's the big deal to DL if I stop there? I've had some nice stopovers I would not have considered (e.g. ICN) but that was the award routing DL had available.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
What I really don't get is, if DL is routing me via X city, what's the big deal to DL if I stop there?
The big deal is that Delta can make more money disallowing stop-overs.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:49 am

Even asking a Delta rep for a manual calculation of 3 saver awards isn't working for me.

I found:
IAD>NRT - 70k miles
NRT>LAX - 70k miles
LAX>DCA - 25k miles

Both delta.com and the delta rep using manual calculations came out to 95k instead of 70k, making my free stopover non-existent.

Bummed
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
The big deal is that Delta can make more money disallowing stop-overs.
Seeing goscoobygo's example I see what you mean.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
I am truly ready to puke over this "enhancement" of the program. I can tell you with found and cherished memories the many times I have spent a few days Paris or Rome or Amsterdam or other places with this perk aka the stopover.

This, other than maybe REV based itself, is the single biggest destruction of Skymiles in 20 years. I am staggered. I have no words but will find some to post soon how upset I am over this!

KeepDescending Delta KeepDescending!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
So, just to clarify...

BTR-ATL-MCI-ATL-MSY won't be allowed anymore?

Nor will BTR-ATL-JAX/DAB-ATL-BTR?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lsugolfer
So, just to clarify...

BTR-ATL-MCI-ATL-MSY won't be allowed anymore?

Nor will BTR-ATL-JAX/DAB-ATL-BTR?
It will be allowed as two one-ways: BTR-ATL-X & Y-ATL-Z.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:52 am
k2

I still think we will see a move to a fixed-value redemption program (1 skymiles = 1 cent) in the future. Late 2015 perhaps?
I tend to agree. When (OK, *if*) this happens the soft underbelly of skymiles, where value currently remains, goes poof. I'm talking int'l BE redemptions, which even using standard award mileage consistently price at 2cpm or better, sometimes 4+.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
It will be allowed as two one-ways: BTR-ATL-X & Y-ATL-Z.
So 50k minimum since 25k OW's are the floor?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lsugolfer
So 50k minimum since 25k OW's are the floor?
Found out the cost of the award by booking it!

(*Freely paraphrased from "find out was is in the law by passing it"*)
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:15 pm

Or something like it. To me, it has never made sense to have mileage earning based on spend while redemption is based on a fixed chart. But DL seems to think the denigration of SM will go down better if they make the changes in pieces, with some quietly slipped into the rules rather than announced, instead of going all at once the way WN did. I'm sure there is a detailed menu of "enhancements" to come, Chinese water torture-style.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
I'm very confused as to why everyone is "shocked" at this. This is no different than how AA does their mileage flights.

That's the price you pay for one-way. I fully expected this
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
I'm convinced this will come in some form, but probably a bit more nuanced than 1 mile = 1 cent. I would bet it is some sort of formula tied to available fare buckets on your desired routes. Something like XVE = 1cpm, LUT = 1.2 cpm, SHQK = 1.4cpm YBM= 1.6 cpm, and GAP/Z+=2cpm (purely hypothetical of course).

The best value for redemption has always been Intl BE and while I'm sure they intend to devalue it, asking 400k+ miles for a/any BE redemption is probably a bit too far even for DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.