Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change in Delta upgrade policy for Gov

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Change in Delta upgrade policy for Gov

Now Delta flyer's who are Diamond, and book any fare class other than "Y", will not be upgraded before ANY Silver, Gold, etc...flyer, that is flying on a Discounted, Government "YCA" fare. So, if your going to an area that has a large military base, SAN, ORD, DC, etc....someone who is just a Silver, but booked through the Government travel agency, and got a YCA fare, which is half of what yours is, will be upgraded BEFORE and Diamond. I have the e-mail from Delta that confirms this policy change.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not copy and paste the full email? (edit out name, etc)

The OP's other thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...ng-non-ff.html
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Yes, please post the content of that e-mail here, Bketchum2002. This would be a significant change that FFs need to know about.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
For international flights, AA does not allow UGs on YCA fares, although I have been able to get UGs on domestic gov't fares.

Last edited by rwoman; Nov 14, 2014 at 4:28 am Reason: Impact of one letter...!! :)
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:50 am
Original Poster

This is the e-mail string from Delta

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX

RE: Case Number 14205618

Thank you for contacting us back regarding your feedback on our process for handling Complimentary Medallion Upgrades.

Please know, we understand that the observations and feedback of our loyal flyers are a vital resource for identifying areas of our operation that may need additional attention and we appreciate you taking the time to contact us. Be assured, we have been empowered by our Executive Leadership team to address the varied concerns of our Medallion members and to then forward the details of these concerns for internal review.
Please understand, due to the volume of correspondence received, our Executive team will only reach out to members directly in situations where additional information is required. We appreciate your understanding.

To further clarify your question though, individuals traveling on government fares, YCA, will be processed with the same priority as other purchased 'Y' fare types. At this time, Medallion members, of any elite level, purchasing a 'Y' fare will be cleared ahead of Medallion members purchasing other fare classes.

Mr. XXXXX, we very much appreciate your Diamond Medallion loyalty to Delta and look forward to the privilege of serving you again soon.

Sincerely,

Axxxxxxx Sxxx
Diamond Desk
www.delta.com

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Thank you....will I be receiving any contact from them regarding this policy? I would like to know if I am understanding the policy correctly.

Thank you

XXXXXX

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 6:15 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: CC-Past Travel Compliment or Complaint-Complaint-Other
(KMM39619222V83090L0KM)

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX

Thank you for contacting SkyMiles.

We take customer feedback seriously, and your comments will be forwarded
to our SkyMiles Leadership Team for consideration.

Mr. XXXXX, thank you again for giving us an opportunity to respond to
your concern. We very much appreciate your Medallion loyalty to Delta
and look forward to the privilege of serving you again soon.

Sincerely,
Axxxxx Bxxxx
SkyMiles Support

Original Message Follows: ------------------------

Delta Air Lines Customer Care Form

Title: Mr
First Name: XXXX
Middle Name:
Last Name: XXXXXX
Suffix:
Reply-To Email Address: XXXXXXX Airline Program: DL
Frequent Flyer Number: 243XXXXXXX
Address:
Address Line 2:
City:
State/Province: VA
Postal Code/Zip:
Telephone Country Code: 001
Phone Number:
Flight Date:
Flight Number:
Origin City:
Destination City:
Confirmation Number:
Ticket Number:
Class of Travel:
Response Required: yes
Message: I was just informed that Delta changed their policy on
Government bought, discounted "Y" class txt. It used to be, that the
gate agents would "move" these people to their level...IE: Gold or Silver,
on the upgrade list. Now they cannot move them, which means for example,
a Diamond, on a $1100, "M" or "B" fare, will go BEHIND a Silver who is
on a "$500" "YCA" (government discounted) "Y" fare. This has a big
impact to anyone who has a large DOD presence in their place of
departure or destination. Just look at any flight going through ATL, to
San Diego, DC, or anyplace else with a large DOD base...there will be
over half the upgrades given to people who are only Silver or Gold, and
10 or more diamond's, who spent a lot more for their txt, in the back.
Why can't you fix your upgrade program to recognize the "YCA" fare, and
move them into their respected, correct, positions on the upgrade list,
instead of just having the program "read", just the first letter?....In
this case, "Y"?

Submitted: Mon Nov 10 2014 03:09:43 EST

Last edited by Canarsie; Jan 6, 2016 at 8:46 am Reason: Removed names of employees.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:42 am

This isn't new. From the context of the email, it says "Y" fare many times. Whether that be a government Y fare or a normal Y fare, they always went to the top of the list, regardless of status. There are a lot of government fares that don't book into Y, and those will continue to be treated as a non-Y fare.

But I can say with all certainty, this is NOT a change.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:54 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pjpoker
This isn't new. From the context of the email, it says "Y" fare many times. Whether that be a government Y fare or a normal Y fare, they always went to the top of the list, regardless of status. There are a lot of government fares that don't book into Y, and those will continue to be treated as a non-Y fare.

But I can say with all certainty, this is NOT a change.
I didn't think so either. Government Y fares have been treated like other Y fares in terms of upgrades, as far as I can recall.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Do government contractors also book through government travel agencies? If so, this could explain my abysmal upgrade % out of MLB. Seriously, the only time I can score an upgrade in or out of MLB is on a Saturday. For me as far as upgrades go out of central FL MCO>DAB>MLB>JAX.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There can be similar issues with certain corporate contracts. A deeply discounted DL fare gets prioritized according to the fare class even though it may cost much less than others have paid for lower fare classes on the same flights in the same situations. For instance, if someone is trying to upgrade an international itinerary using miles or old SWUs, a corporate M fare can cost much less than the regular fares in other classes that are not eligible for upgrades.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rwoman
For international flights, AA does now allow UGs on YCA fares, although I have been able to get UGs on domestic gov't fares.
Did you mean to say "now" or "not"?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did you mean to say "now" or "not"?
Oops, yes!
Old Nov 14, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Do government contractors also book through government travel agencies? ...
NO ... govt fares are limited to govt employees (military and civilian) traveling on official govt orders
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Don't see what the problem is, YCA is a Y.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I don't think this is a new development. Anytime I booked a YCA fare in the past I was upgraded (this was as a silver and gold). Not every government fare is a YCA fare though. As long as I booked a couple weeks in advance I almost always was booked in to LCA I believe. You have to book the LCA fare unless you provide a justification.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Gov't travelers or not shouldn't be the big issue. ANY medallion that buys a Y fare, whether its a Silver/Gold/Platinum/Diamond on a Y-based fare (whether that is a discounted corporate fare, YCA, etc) will be auto upgraded at booking should the availability there in advance of a higher elite member on a lower fare basis.

This is no different than the policy that UA, previously CO had in place for years. And people were jumping up and down screaming how gov't fares are cheap, how dare those travelers take our upgrades, all of the IAD F cabins are full of gov't flyers etc. Well then sequestration happened and guess what? The upgrade rates didn't improve even though there was a moratorium on travel and few if any gov't travel flyers were booking flights.

And before everyone says about the image it conveys consider the following: 1) the gov't is a business and this is no different than corporate negotiated fares, 2) YCA fares are not cheap and in most cases travel officers require booking on the non YCA fares which are sometimes half the cost and more restrictive so the instances of YCA are grossly exaggerated (since most pax don't even know about the benefit let alone just choosing cheapest fare), 3) Maybe the Diamond on the ultra cheap fare should understand FCM which until people either buy First or higher fares, then Silvers on a Y will trump a Diamond. I've been 1K on UA and ran into the issue of getting passed over, and I've been Silver/Gold on UA and DL and booked on Y fares and got the upgrade. So I've had to deal with it both ways

So again is the issue just because its easier to point the finger at the gov't flyers (not considering corp travel) and really someone is just pissed because DL, AA, and UA all give priority to Y fares regardless of gov't, corp, bulk, etc??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.