Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Salivating at the chance for an OpUp Tomorrow; DL.dumb asked for volunteers...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:36 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

Doing a MR tomorrow to DXB.

I just checked in and they asked for volunteers for ATL-DXB. I tried to enter $1k as I know that is the typical VDB Voucher given for International flights but the system said the maximum allowed is $800 for bidding.

Kinda weird....so I didn't put anything at all.

It looks like there might be 1 seat open up front.

I will obviously talk to the GA upon arrival in ATL tomorrow as I ALWAYS take a VDB voucher!!! ^^

(I am doing a 3-hour turn and coming right home but I used a GUC for the DXB-ATL-JFK-LAX-PHX leg home......so I hope I don't lose that if I took the VDB.)

Has anyone on here taken a VDB on a flight that might cause them to have to rebook the legs that the GUC has been applied on? Should I have faith in the DM Line being able to take care of me on the rebook using the GUC?

Just called in.....DM line told me it is oversold by 14....and there is 1 seat left in BE.

Last edited by 355F1; Oct 31, 2014 at 1:55 pm
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum

Looks like Delta is still selling up to 4 seats for DL 8 tomorrow. let us know how it turns out. Hopefully your flights from PHX are on time so you can get to the gate agent in ATL in time to volunteer. Not sure how they will reroute you given the short 3 hour turnaround time, which sometimes makes gate agents choose other volunteers with easier itineraries to rebook. Also don't salivate to quickly. I've been in overbooked situations where I thought an VDB was a cinch, but connections/no shows freed up seats.

Let us know how it turns out.

Originally Posted by 355F1
Doing a MR tomorrow to DXB.

I just checked in and they asked for volunteers for ATL-DXB. I tried to enter $1k as I know that is the typical VDB Voucher given for International flights but the system said the maximum allowed is $800 for bidding.

Kinda weird....so I didn't put anything at all.

It looks like there might be 1 seat open up front.

I will obviously talk to the GA upon arrival in ATL tomorrow as I ALWAYS take a VDB voucher!!! ^^

(I am doing a 3-hour turn and coming right home but I used a GUC for the DXB-ATL-JFK-LAX-PHX leg home......so I hope I don't lose that if I took the VDB.)

Has anyone on here taken a VDB on a flight that might cause them to have to rebook the legs that the GUC has been applied on? Should I have faith in the DM Line being able to take care of me on the rebook using the GUC?

Just called in.....DM line told me it is oversold by 14....and there is 1 seat left in BE.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:27 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
When you reach the gate even before they announce they need vollunteers you should volunteer and you chances will increase ten fold
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Best of luck. I can't imagine doing such a trip just to turn around and come right back. I doubt I would know my own name by the time it was over.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I used to be able to do what the OP is doing, MR's with quick turns. Now, I still do MR's but I spend a few days in the city. Its more like a MR +a Mini vacation.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:08 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by anbhc
Looks like Delta is still selling up to 4 seats for DL 8 tomorrow. let us know how it turns out. Hopefully your flights from PHX are on time so you can get to the gate agent in ATL in time to volunteer. Not sure how they will reroute you given the short 3 hour turnaround time, which sometimes makes gate agents choose other volunteers with easier itineraries to rebook. Also don't salivate to quickly. I've been in overbooked situations where I thought an VDB was a cinch, but connections/no shows freed up seats.

Let us know how it turns out.

I will just ask to put on the next day's flight. I looked at it and it is pretty open (so is the return flight).

My first leg is PHX-LAX-ATL-DXB. I originally had a 47-min connection in ATL. I called the DM line yesterday and asked them if they could switch me to an earlier LAX-ATL flight (There are several)....and she said she could switch me to the one right before my original with no charge due to the 47-min connection time in ATL.

So..I get moved from a 757 to a 767 LAX-ATL....hope to get UG'd...but it now will give me a little over 2hrs in ATL---plenty of time to approach the gate agent at T-60. for the ATL-DXB leg. ^^

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
When you reach the gate even before they announce they need vollunteers you should volunteer and you chances will increase ten fold
Of course!! I will be in line BEFORE they get to the gate!

Doing this as a lowly FO in 2011 scored me my first ride in BE Frankfurt-Detroit.

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Best of luck. I can't imagine doing such a trip just to turn around and come right back. I doubt I would know my own name by the time it was over.
I'll have a GUC for the leg home....so it'll be nice and cozy up there with my lie-flat....and those awesome Westin Heavenly Bed comforters!!!!!

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I used to be able to do what the OP is doing, MR's with quick turns. Now, I still do MR's but I spend a few days in the city. Its more like a MR +a Mini vacation.
I have NEVER done a TRUE immediate turn around!!! I have been to JNB on 2 MRs but stayed to visit a couple days.....with stopovers in Paris & Amsterdam.

I have 3 MRs to Dubai this month....tomorrow's is the only one with an immediate turn; hence why I used my first GUC on the return leg home.

I just went to Aruba last weekend on a 3.8CPM MR....but stayed for 2 days....using IHG hotel points with 1/2 off the normal points-per-night rate. Ahh....Aruba....that place was heaven!!!!

Looking forward to this trip!!! ^^
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum

If they book you on the next days flight, then they will also have to rebook you on the next days return flight as well. So my only worry for you is that they will have to rebook both the departure and return flights for you, that they may choose volunteers with much easier rebooking options, but I'm still rooting for you and hope everything works out for you. May the VDB force be with you.

I will just ask to put on the next day's flight. I looked at it and it is pretty open (so is the return flight).

My first leg is PHX-LAX-ATL-DXB. I originally had a 47-min connection in ATL. I called the DM line yesterday and asked them if they could switch me to an earlier LAX-ATL flight (There are several)....and she said she could switch me to the one right before my original with no charge due to the 47-min connection time in ATL.

So..I get moved from a 757 to a 767 LAX-ATL....hope to get UG'd...but it now will give me a little over 2hrs in ATL---plenty of time to approach the gate agent at T-60. for the ATL-DXB leg. ^^

Of course!! I will be in line BEFORE they get to the gate!

Doing this as a lowly FO in 2011 scored me my first ride in BE Frankfurt-Detroit.

I'll have a GUC for the leg home....so it'll be nice and cozy up there with my lie-flat....and those awesome Westin Heavenly Bed comforters!!!!!

I have NEVER done a TRUE immediate turn around!!! I have been to JNB on 2 MRs but stayed to visit a couple days.....with stopovers in Paris & Amsterdam.

I have 3 MRs to Dubai this month....tomorrow's is the only one with an immediate turn; hence why I used my first GUC on the return leg home.

I just went to Aruba last weekend on a 3.8CPM MR....but stayed for 2 days....using IHG hotel points with 1/2 off the normal points-per-night rate. Ahh....Aruba....that place was heaven!!!!

Looking forward to this trip!!! ^^
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:35 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by anbhc
If they book you on the next days flight, then they will also have to rebook you on the next days return flight as well. So my only worry for you is that they will have to rebook both the departure and return flights for you, that they may choose volunteers with much easier rebooking options, but I'm still rooting for you and hope everything works out for you. May the VDB force be with you.
Both of those flights (the next day and the immediate return home) have tons of availability. So that would be okay.

I'm at LAX right now...and the ATL-DXB flight is still showing 2 empty seats up front....and 14 oversold in the back.

I am hoping for an OpUp more than a VDB.....:crossing fingers:

Won't know until about 9 more hours....
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Both of those flights (the next day and the immediate return home) have tons of availability. So that would be okay.

I'm at LAX right now...and the ATL-DXB flight is still showing 2 empty seats up front....and 14 oversold in the back.

I am hoping for an OpUp more than a VDB.....:crossing fingers:

Won't know until about 9 more hours....
How do you know these numbers?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:56 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How do you know these numbers?
I called and asked the DM line yesterday. And just now @ the SC in LAX the gal here told me the same exact numbers.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: Delta FO
So, I guess the million $$$ question is.... how do they pick who for the 2 seats up front? Anyone have any idea? Perhaps they'll go to non revs? Dude, I hope you get one of em
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by richardinmotion
So, I guess the million $$$ question is.... how do they pick who for the 2 seats up front? Anyone have any idea? Perhaps they'll go to non revs? Dude, I hope you get one of em
As I understand it, after having had separate conversations with two GA's, on different days, it is left to their discretion, but ticketed passengers take priority over NRSA's.

Last edited by SCEflyer; Nov 1, 2014 at 2:16 pm Reason: Added word for context.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:25 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
ticketed passengers take priority over NRSA's.
On a domestic flight, yes, it's SUPPOSED to be that way. On a 15 hour int'l flight from Atlanta to Dubai?!? Not.

Once the UG waitlist is cleared, if any, for pax who are waiting for certificate (GUC/SWU, etc) UGs to clear, the GA/RedCoat can UG ANYONE they want to. Mother, father, sister, brother, employee friend, whoever. Actually, when a non-rev sits in int'l J, it's not really considered an UG, as they're entitled to it as an employee benefit. I do think that they might be obliged to seat non-revs in J by seniority, but I really can't speak as to how that's managed or enforced.

Last edited by davetravels; Nov 1, 2014 at 2:30 pm
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I hate to burst your bubble but you had better hope for the VDB....getting an opup on that flight is not likely. I take it all the time and every once in a while I am able use a cert but most of the time pay full boat. There is always a gaggle of DM's trying to use certs. Usually 1-2 make it.

Probably the worst possible MR for an opup.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
cant buy seats in coach anymore. Only showing a few seats available in J

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.