Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Comfort on KLM

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Economy Comfort on KLM

Ticketed on DL 006 stock. When I purchased my ticket EC seats did not appear at all amongst my possible choices.
Now at checkin there are plenty of them open, but if I check in on KLM site they want $100's to upgrade (I can see they do not recognize me as PM).

Twitted KLM, who first said "they are DL flights". Then admitted those were KLM, but still claimed it is a matter to be brought up to DL attention.

Twitted DL and got a reply that it can only be done at the airport.

W T F
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:20 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Is it a long-haul route? (out of curiosity)

In any event, I've posted on this extensively; but do this :

(a) get the KLM confirmation # from Delta
(c) tweet KLM and make sure your Delta SkyMiles # is associated with this KLM confirmation
(c) setup a KLM online account; list your SkyMiles # as part of this account. Under no circumstances, list your KLM FB number (perhaps, you have one from AMEX Membership Award transfer, etc.)
(d) Use the KLM confirmation # to add the flights to your open itineraries on KLM.
(e) If you have problems doing this, then log into the Air France site (using the same credentials you just created) and you can add the flight or view the flight also using the e-ticket (006) number (sometimes you can also do this on the KLM site; but it is often easier to use the ticket number on the Air France site).

I'm in a bit of a rush, but I'd be more than happy to show screen shots of this process.

In any event, once armed with the KLM confirmation # and your SkyMiles number associated properly the KLM twitter team or you should be able to choose Economy Comfort seats.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:28 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
SkyTeam: A What The .... Experience Awaits
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:24 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sabai
SkyTeam: A What The .... Experience Awaits
Just curious having never flow partner flights with other alliances, is ST the only cluster or are do the others have their quirks too?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:33 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Is it a long-haul route? (out of curiosity)

but do this :

(a)
(b)
(c)
(d)
(e)

I'm in a bit of a rush
I'm in a bit of a rush.

I do this:

(a) Fly ONLY DL metal to / from AMS & CDG.

IMO, DL treats DL Medallions WAAAAY better than their <supposed> Team(Sky) partners.

Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by davetravels
I'm in a bit of a rush.

I do this:

IMO, DL treats DL Medallions WAAAAY better than their <supposed> Team(Sky) partners.

^ Me too. I'm just not going to fly on anyone else's bird unless absolutely necessary (such as Cityhopper flights).
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:24 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
^ Me too. I'm just not going to fly on anyone else's bird unless absolutely necessary (such as Cityhopper flights).
I don't have any problem with KL or AF intra-Europe flights. Without them, you'd never get to many cities in Europe, unless you want to sit thru long train rides. Citihopper is fine. It's just long-haul flights I'm referring to.

Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: DM/3MM
I don't have any problem with KL or AF intra-Europe flights. Without them, you'd never get to many cities in Europe, unless you want to sit thru long train rides. Citihopper is fine. It's just long-haul flights I'm referring to.

The issue is that DL only has, say, one flight a day from JFK to AMS and CDG, and those flights don't always connect well AF's and KL's flights to many secondary and tertiary cities in Europe.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: DM/3MM
OP, not sure how this works now that you are so close to departure, but I've had success getting EC seats on KLM, and having them stick. You have to call DL, and they in turn have to contact someone at a "partner" desk, or something like that. (I've posted details on this in another thread here somewhere.)

The issue is getting an agent who knows what he/she is doing. Again, I'm not sure how this works within the check in window.

Previously, there have been issues on having the EC seats "stick" between the time of securing the seats and departure. I've had success on my last two KLM flights, and on my next DOH-MCT KLM flight, so far the seats are sticking.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by TTT
Just curious having never flow partner flights with other alliances, is ST the only cluster or are do the others have their quirks too?
In my own experience, ST is more a loose and warring confederation than an integrated alliance. I'm sure that DL is very careful to reap the revenue that it is due, but no obvious investments have been made to improve the customer experience since the NW/KL merger. SkyPriority across the "alliance" means less to me than having seating assignments stick and dealing with clueless agents.

Star Alliance, while not perfect, is not the dysfunctional kludge that DL/AF/KL is.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
I'm in a bit of a rush.

I do this:

Well, I prefer DL metal for other reasons (mainly 1-2-1 BusinessElite); but try flying :

LAX-AMS-LAX
or ORD-AMS-ORD, or after 17:00 AMS-JFK

Not sure how you manage to fly Delta metal on some of these routes (especially LAX or ORD).

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
as noted above, DL does not service all US cities nonstop (to/from AMS)
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
As Baccarat King wrote OP has to get the KLM PNR from Delta. And go to KLM.com and add his DL SM FF number to the booking. KLM will recognize his status and OP will be able to select preferred seats for free. It's way faster and more reliable then calling tweeting KLM/Delta and hope you have an agent who knows what (s)he is doing.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:14 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I managed to get delta to put me in the economy comfort(for KLM) when i was boarding my flight in the states
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: DL-PM, 1MM; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Grouchy
As Baccarat King wrote OP has to get the KLM PNR from Delta. And go to KLM.com and add his DL SM FF number to the booking. KLM will recognize his status and OP will be able to select preferred seats for free. It's way faster and more reliable then calling tweeting KLM/Delta and hope you have an agent who knows what (s)he is doing.
I tried that a month ago for a flight I had recently. Even after getting into the KLM site with the KLM locator the seat changes would not stick.

I finally called the KLM EU phone number and after the CSR confirmed my status, I was all set with the seat of my choice. Interestingly, the day before my flight, the Delta website showed a seat different from what I had selected by phone with KLM. I checked in via the KLM site and I did get the seat I had set up by phone.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by FrontRow
I tried that a month ago for a flight I had recently. Even after getting into the KLM site with the KLM locator the seat changes would not stick.

I finally called the KLM EU phone number and after the CSR confirmed my status, I was all set with the seat of my choice. Interestingly, the day before my flight, the Delta website showed a seat different from what I had selected by phone with KLM. I checked in via the KLM site and I did get the seat I had set up by phone.
"would not stick" as in, you got the "seat confirmed" message and then it disappeared a day (or so) later?

or, were you not able to choose and confirm at all?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.