Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Sign in using an external account

Old Oct 29, 14, 1:18 am   #1

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
Yet another "should I go for platinum" thread

I used to think it was silly to ask what others would do, but I have a little turn on it. I easily hit the Delta AMEX spending so MQDs not an issue. Because of the Seattle double MQMs deal, I find myself with enough flights for the rest of the year to make platinum, but with very little rollover. Alternatively I can credit my last flight to Alaska Air, and end with 74,000+ miles and rollover 24,000+. Most of my flying is domestic, with one TPAC every 12-18 months, in bought J.

Here is the twist. I am current platinum. If I take platinum for 2015, then for 2016 I will probably qualify only for FO, and since I am a million miler, I get that for free. If I rollover the 24000+ miles, I will be able to be Gold for both 2015 and 2016.

So the question, for you, is two years of gold better or worse than 1 year of platinum and 1 year of silver, and why? I am weighing my reasons, but interested in what others would do. For the economists out there, it is a good exercise in hyperbolic discounting.

I also have TSA Precheck through Nexus, which makes skypriority less important, and who knows, it might disappear for golds soon anyway.

Edited to add: Award tickets are always for my grown kids, and have never had a reason to redeposit an award ticket so far.
yamaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 14, 1:30 am   #2

Programs: Delta PM
One issue to consider is how many SkyPesos you have that you want to redeem for award tickets.

The award ticket change/redeposit waiver that PM's get can be SUPER helpful!
Burj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 14, 4:49 am   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burj View Post
One issue to consider is how many SkyPesos you have that you want to redeem for award tickets.

The award ticket change/redeposit waiver that PM's get can be SUPER helpful!
Only if the OP has a use for that feature prior to Feb 1 2016.

My advice in a situation like this is only go for it if you can maintain it after that. There are many features a GM enjoys over that of an FO. So it is probably better to maintain GM rather go for PM and then after a year drop all the way down to FO.
Ledfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 14, 6:02 am   #4

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz Gold, BB Prem Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaka View Post
Here is the twist. I am current platinum. If I take platinum for 2015, then for 2016 I will probably qualify only for FO, and since I am a million miler, I get that for free. If I rollover the 24000+ miles, I will be able to be Gold for both 2015 and 2016.
Each person has to make their own decision about this but I would be inclined to go for GM/GM over PM/worthless to you.

Here's the differences. You decide...

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-benefits.html
Sez_Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 14, 6:42 am   #5

Programs: DL PM, SC Lifetime, AA/US Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledfish View Post
Only if the OP has a use for that feature prior to Feb 1 2016.

My advice in a situation like this is only go for it if you can maintain it after that. There are many features a GM enjoys over that of an FO. So it is probably better to maintain GM rather go for PM and then after a year drop all the way down to FO.
+1