Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Sign in using an external account

Old Oct 28, 14, 4:10 pm   #1

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
PWM Question

Planning a trip for the family (4) and went to find economy mileage redemption options. Unless we want to have 4 hour layovers between IND and MCO (srsly?) the tickets price out at 40k miles each. However, they are for sale for $243.70 and with PWM price out at 25k miles each (same exact flights).

What's the downside here? I suppose if I book mileage award redemptions, I can redeposit the miles for free up until 72 hours before and I assume that I cannot do that with PWM. Neither one gives me MQD, MQM, or RDM unless I pay in cash (which I probably will for my ticket). Why else wouldn't I jump on the PWM option?
azeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 14, 4:18 pm   #2
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
not sure how to answer but I do know that those of us from Maine would like the Pay With Miles to be abbreviated with something other then our airport code (Portland Westbrook Maine).....gets confusing haha
VegasJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 14, 4:22 pm   #3

Programs: DL DM
We've been discussing cash vs miles over here: Would you use 40k miles to reduce fare by $400?

I assume that PWM would also give your companions the possibility of an upgrade, whereas a pure award ticket would not.

Why not only pay with 24k and $3.70 in cash? (to save 1k/person)
EZEDoesIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 14, 4:36 pm   #4

Programs: DL DM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt View Post
We've been discussing cash vs miles over here: Would you use 40k miles to reduce fare by $400?

I assume that PWM would also give your companions the possibility of an upgrade, whereas a pure award ticket would not.

You don't say what time of the year this is for. If you are all on the same record, you will all get the same benefits (seating and baggage). If you are not on the same record, they may only give you the seating benefits for one companion (YMMV)
Also, no matter what, only one companion upgrade per Elite.

In this day and age, $243.00 air fare is pretty reasonable. I would save the miles.
Mr. Tickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 14, 4:37 pm   #5

Programs: DL DM/1.980MM, Global Entry, SMarriott, GHertz
If it matters to the OP, one cannot redeposit SMs used with PWM once the ticket is purchased.
Xeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 14, 5:53 pm   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
If it matters to the OP, one cannot redeposit SMs used with PWM once the ticket is purchased.
That does matter, and is definitely part of the decision criteria. It may be worth the "penalty" of locking it in to save 60k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
You don't say what time of the year this is for. If you are all on the same record, you will all get the same benefits (seating and baggage). If you are not on the same record, they may only give you the seating benefits for one companion (YMMV)
Also, no matter what, only one companion upgrade per Elite.
Its for February - not that it really matters. The Mrs. is GM (gifted), so in theory we could get 2 companion upgrades, but I wouldn't be counting on any of that. As for medallion benefits - since she is GM I could book separately from the rest of them and we would all get bags, seating, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
The options given online were in 5k increments. I'm not sure if that's the policy or just the way it works with this particular ticket.

Other than that, though - no special rules for complimentary solo / companion upgrades for tickets paid entirely with PWM? It would take a near empty flight for the companion upgrades to matter, but I guess it's worth the 0.01% chance if we're eligible.
Old Oct 28, 14, 5:59 pm   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM Kryptonium Ham Sandwich GAMER, UA Plat, US, PC Plat, IHG Amb., SPG Gold, HH Gold, Nat'l Exec
You will be eligible for upgrade on a PWM ticket, whether paid partially or in full with miles, provided you have no other non-status or FO companions in the same reservation.

None of your companions will be eligible for companion upgrades if either you or they are on a PWM or award ticket, unless they are GM or higher themselves and they are not in the same reservation with any non-status or FO companions.
Old Oct 28, 14, 7:46 pm   #8

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
For $243 each, better to just purchase the tickets and earn miles.

You can save your miles for a more expensive trip down the road?
kaaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 14, 11:21 pm   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
None of your companions will be eligible for companion upgrades if either you or they are on a PWM or award ticket, unless they are GM or higher themselves and they are not in the same reservation with any non-status or FO companions.
So the strategy remains the same - split myself off the reservation, get 3 tickets for 75k miles and pay $243 for my ticket. I'm eligible for upgrade and earn MQD/MQM/RDM on my ticket while the rest of my party is/does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaaria
For $243 each, better to just purchase the tickets and earn miles.You can save your miles for a more expensive trip down the road?
valid point. it depends on travel patterns, i guess. In this case I'd rather have $730 than 75k miles. One earns interest in the bank, the other devalues over time. No one else traveling cares about earning miles, new earning rules or old. And in the rare case I can find 25k mile tickets somewhere the family wants to go when they want to go there? I feel like it's a solid use of banked miles regardless of the $$ cost of the tickets.
Old Oct 29, 14, 7:30 am   #10

Programs: Delta PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasJosh View Post
not sure how to answer but I do know that those of us from Maine would like the Pay With Miles to be abbreviated with something other then our airport code (Portland Westbrook Maine).....gets confusing haha
+1 haha, got excited we had a Maine related question popping up!
JayTeaBee is offline   Reply With Quote