Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

VDB during a milage run - do I qualify for ORC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:53 am
Used to be 'jwienner'
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle

I'm on a MR LGA-ATL-SEA-HNL-SEA-JFK. On my first leg, LGA-ATL-SEA-HNL, ATL-SEA is oversold. I think there was an equipment swap at somepoint.

Continuing on, HNL-SEA-JFK is on a separate PNR. What I'm thinking:

DL has already solicited for VDB at OLCI (yes I know this doesn't mean anything). I'm incredibly flexible (seeing as I'm flying circles in the sky), so I would gladly give up my seat ATL-SEA, thus moving to the 5pm departure. This would cause me to miss my HNL connection, as SEA-HNL is a once daily flight. I would be more than happy to do ATL-SEA-JFK, and hopefully qualify for ORC of the SEA-HNL-SEA.

Would I qualify to get ORC? I'd be ok to skip the HNL leg completely. I'm sure any DL Agent would be puzzled as to why I wouldn't want to go to Hawaii and instead go home.. Has anyone had any experience skipping complete "legs" or turns and getting ORC?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not likely to get original routing credit for this, especially since the V in VDB is voluntary.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
You don't get ORC for VDB, as a general rule. You might be able to negotiate it with the GA, but be sure to get it in writing if you do.

In your case, the fact that you're on multiple PNRs messes everything up. Missing the HNL-SEA flight will cause the SEA-JFK flight to be canceled and you're stuck in SEA.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:21 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Yup, all the above is true. In your case in particular, because it's 2 different itineraries, I feel certain that you'd NEVER get ORC for the return trip.

That said, how long is your layover in HNL before you head back? I'd be sure to get some kind of new routing from ATL that gets you to HNL in time to get your departure. I wonder if they would change your return for you, to a little later. My guess would be that, they'd look for someone to VDB that has a less complicated situation.

edited to add . . . .

My concern with this situation would be, getting a decent seat at the last minute all the way to HI.

Last edited by davetravels; Oct 28, 2014 at 8:28 am
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: DL DM, MM
Why try to get put on ATL-HNL? You'll have more time in HNL(and maybe get on an earlier return). In this case, you could request ORC for ATL-SEA-HNL, and it would be granted.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Talk about gutsy. Seperate PNRs for an MR, with a turn. Not bad, just... risky.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sbagdon
Talk about gutsy. Seperate PNRs for an MR, with a turn. Not bad, just... risky.
You probably forgot. That important-looking guy we alwayz see . . . . He has our backs!

Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:44 am
Used to be 'jwienner'
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuckOnSegments
Why try to get put on ATL-HNL? You'll have more time in HNL(and maybe get on an earlier return). In this case, you could request ORC for ATL-SEA-HNL, and it would be granted.
Just landed in ATL, the HNL direct left an hour ago. Otherwise would have gone for that
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:13 am
Used to be 'jwienner'
Original Poster

Update: flight was over by 7, VDB went as high as $800. The red coat at the gate didn't seem to like my ORC idea and and told me he didn't really know how to handle it. Offered to bump me but warned ORC would be at the discretion of DL HQ. Not worth it. Ended up snagging an upgrade despite it being F0 Y-7, thanks to a no show. Can't complain!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by AirTheory
The red coat at the gate didn't seem to like my ORC idea and and told me he didn't really know how to handle it.
Well, if ORC was more important to you than an $800 ECV, you did the right thing. I've read a number of reports here, where, a GA / RedCoat <supposedly> assured the FlyerTalker that they would get ORC, - - and <supposedly> notated such, in the record, and DL HQ wouldn't budge and the pax got screwed.

You hafto decide which is more important. VDB/ECV credit or ORC. If you get both, play the lottery that day!

Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Any assurances by anybody at the gate, whether a GA or RedCoat, about mileage or ORC is pure nonsense. They really have nothing to do with it.

Originally Posted by davetravels
Well, if ORC was more important to you than an $800 ECV, you did the right thing. I've read a number of reports here, where, a GA / RedCoat <supposedly> assured the FlyerTalker that they would get ORC, - - and <supposedly> notated such, in the record, and DL HQ wouldn't budge and the pax got screwed.

You hafto decide which is more important. VDB/ECV credit or ORC. If you get both, play the lottery that day!

Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:04 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by oldgoldflyer
Any assurances by anybody at the gate, whether a GA or RedCoat, about mileage or ORC is pure nonsense. They really have nothing to do with it.
If they put it in writing, I disagree. I would think DL would honor it if their employee stated it in writing.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by AirTheory
Update: flight was over by 7, VDB went as high as $800. The red coat at the gate didn't seem to like my ORC idea and and told me he didn't really know how to handle it. Offered to bump me but warned ORC would be at the discretion of DL HQ. Not worth it. Ended up snagging an upgrade despite it being F0 Y-7, thanks to a no show. Can't complain!
Wouldn't $800 buy you a MR for more miles?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:29 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oldgoldflyer
Agreed, they have no authority for such an assurance.

Anecdotally it seems Delta has gotten stingy with ORC. IMHO the best way to get ORC now is to get re-routed on a non-partner airline.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:19 pm
Used to be 'jwienner'
Original Poster

I've read too many threads of people getting screwed on ORC to gamble. This MR will put me over the DM threshold and will get me my GUCs which I wanna use for an upcoming trip to Asia. No more MR this year after today!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.