Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

stopover/open jaw no more on US-Europe redemption?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fti
We now know the facts:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1629493-offical-delta-award-stopovers-open-jaw-gone-skymiles2015.html

Official update from Delta CORP folks to me (Delta Points):

“There are no changes to stopovers. A recent change in IT at Delta.com discontinued the ability to book intl. stopovers online. You could still book them via reservations agents. We [Delta] are working with the res agents (who handle the bulk of the bookings already) to ensure they are properly assisting customers who might.” – DELTA CORP

Also see unconfirmed brand new FTer - DLMiddleSeat post #38

Hello, I am a DL employee and was formerly in the Skymiles department before moving to a new position. I can tell you I still keep tabs on Skymiles and there is a memo that says award stopovers are still allowed but there was a glitch when they filed the fares. You have to call in to get it ticketed manually though. If the CSR say not possible refer them to the res policy update on the dlnet homepage.
Print Wikipost

stopover/open jaw no more on US-Europe redemption?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Seems like some are having some success with coach tickets here and there.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:34 am

Location: CTU/TFU(Chengdu, Sichuan, China) - MIG (Mianyang, Sichuan, China) - EWR/JFK/LGA/HPN (Great New York City Metro Area, NY, USA) - HVN/BDL (New Haven/Hartford, CT, USA)
Programs: UA 1MM/F9 Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold; IHG Platinum; Choice Privileges Platinum
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Is this a routing you have booked before as a DL r/t award?

I wonder if this isn't a published fare problem (the specific routing) as much as a 'no stopovers anymore' issue. These are the allowable routings BOS-URC on MU coach V fares.

/VIA THE PACIFIC/
3. BOS-AA/AS/DL/MU/US/WS-LAX/NYC/SFO/YTO/YVR-MU-SHA-MU-BJS-
FM/KN/MU/YY-URC
Yes I was successful before when using SkyMiles for similar award tickets like the above.

Also the routing rule # 3 above indicates BOS-JFK-PVG-PEK-URC is a valid/published routing for BOS-URC, and I am very sure PEK is a valid stopover point enroute for BOS-URC from my previous experience with NW's award ticket rules with regard to stopover points in Asia (FYI, back then, HKG and CAN were NOT valid stopover points for US-ASIA award tickets).

DL's computer algorihm is simply amazing in terms of being reasonable.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:22 am

I am by no means a Delta ripper like many of the bloggers, but does not basic PR skills require them to say something when the system going against their published rules?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
I am by no means a Delta ripper like many of the bloggers, but does not basic PR skills require them to say something when the system going against their published rules?
Aren't there Delta reps on FT who would normally comment about these things?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:34 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kilbornr
Aren't there Delta reps on FT who would normally comment about these things?
No, Delta reps have not been active in an official capacity for quite some time.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:23 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Tried to replicate an itinerary I booked earlier this year (most of which is yet to be flown) including both an OJ and a SO. Now prices as if it were two separate tickets.

For all who wished for OW awards on DL, you will get what you wished for but at a pretty high cost unfortunately. But at least you have your wish

I used this OJ/SO trick with pretty much every award ticket and it saved me tens of thousands of miles with every ticket. Oh well.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TTT
No, Delta reps have not been active in an official capacity for quite some time.
They've been checking out this forum regularly -- not necessarily when logged in -- but not posting.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: All posts are entirely my opinion and do not reflect any official DL position
Hello, I am a DL employee and was formerly in the Skymiles department before moving to a new position. I can tell you I still keep tabs on Skymiles and there is a memo that says award stopovers are still allowed but there was a glitch when they filed the fares. You have to call in to get it ticketed manually though. If the CSR say not possible refer them to the res policy update on the dlnet homepage.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by fti
Tried to replicate an itinerary I booked earlier this year (most of which is yet to be flown) including both an OJ and a SO. Now prices as if it were two separate tickets.

For all who wished for OW awards on DL, you will get what you wished for but at a pretty high cost unfortunately. But at least you have your wish
Just as suspected (or feared, rather), that will be a major devaluation and will dramatically reduce the value of DL miles.

But of course DL will sell it to the not-very-bright pax (who are unfortunately the vast majority - and some even post foolishly asking for one-way awards here on FT, seemingly completely oblivious to the fact of what a major devaluation it would be and not bothering to stop and think for even a second) who don't know any better and would rather book three or four one-ways at higher cost vs. a simple round trip at lower cost and much more flexibility (that often isn't possible on revenue fares altogether).
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: WN,DL,AA,UA,B6,more!
FYI if you do an all domestic round trip with a stopover it will price correctly.

The issue is with international trips (DL metal or not). Class of service doesn't matter either.

I can correctly price a domestic only stopover in Y or F.

I cannot do anything international in J or Y without it pricing as 2 tickets.

I think (and truly hope) this is a glitch!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:39 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Just as suspected (or feared, rather), that will be a major devaluation and will dramatically reduce the value of DL miles.

But of course DL will sell it to the not-very-bright pax (who are unfortunately the vast majority - and some even post foolishly asking for one-way awards here on FT, seemingly completely oblivious to the fact of what a major devaluation it would be and not bothering to stop and think for even a second) who don't know any better and would rather book three or four one-ways at higher cost vs. a simple round trip at lower cost and much more flexibility (that often isn't possible on revenue fares altogether).
So true, but it has been said before that people didn't realize the value of OJ/SO (WAY more valuable than OW awards). I was not so concerned about OW's on DL since I hedge my bets by having miles in multiple programs/alliances.

Originally Posted by foofiter
FYI if you do an all domestic round trip with a stopover it will price correctly.

The issue is with international trips (DL metal or not). Class of service doesn't matter either.

I can correctly price a domestic only stopover in Y or F.

I cannot do anything international in J or Y without it pricing as 2 tickets.

I think (and truly hope) this is a glitch!
If you really think it is a glitch, I have some land in FL to sell you really cheap. If I were a betting man, I would put money on the fact that the OJ/SO rules have changed forever with DL.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by fti
So true, but it has been said before that people didn't realize the value of OJ/SO (WAY more valuable than OW awards).
I agree with you, but that extra value is greatly enhanced for those that fly out of a hub city as you do.

David
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:02 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiverDave
I agree with you, but that extra value is greatly enhanced for those that fly out of a hub city as you do.

David
Enhanced yes. But there are many, many examples of those not in hub cities who can also take advantage of such. I have given multiple examples over the years.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by fti
I was not so concerned about OW's on DL since I hedge my bets by having miles in multiple programs/alliances.
Exactly. OW, esp. for short flights, is and will be still such a better value with BA Avios (on routes where there are direct OneWorld flights). For example, even with DL one-way at 12,500, the same NYC-WAS flight will be just 4,500 with BA Avios, and practically every US and AA flight is wide open and available every day. 3x lower cost and many fold better availability than DL (at 3x higher cost for "low").

With OW possible on most other programs, including AA and UA, there really is no reason to have OW on DL, as one could always use AA, BA, UA and other miles for one-ways, while reserve DL miles for more complex higher value routings.

But, alas, most are blissfully ignorant of this and decide to put all their eggs (miles) in one basket.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
OFFICAL NEWS! It was a BUG

From Delta CORP to me:

http://deltapoints.boardingarea.com/...thing-changed/

“There are no changes to stopovers. A recent change in IT at Delta.com discontinued the ability to book intl. stopovers online. You could still book them via reservations agents. We [Delta] are working with the res agents (who handle the bulk of the bookings already) to ensure they are properly assisting customers who might.” – DELTA CORP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.