Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GM upgrade on SEA-HK?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Location: TLV, JFK, ORD and everywhere in between (no longer SEA)
Programs: Delta PM
GM upgrade on SEA-HK?

Hi,

about to book a multi-city fare with a RT of SEA-HKG as part of it.

Was wondering if others here experienced this route for a comp upgrade. I am a GM and many times get upgraded on other intl flights which are often oversold. That said, I am unsure how full these flights get. West coasters have other choices other than SEA (LAX, SF for starters) so I assume it's not a big choice for connecting travelers. But, I dont know much. What are the chances for the flight to be fulll/oversold and business class seats given to medallions?

Any help on when to book in the week for this to happen will be appreciated as well. (I am pretty flexible with the dates)

thanks!

Last edited by SeattleiteTelavivian; Oct 26, 2014 at 5:34 am
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by SeattleiteTelavivian
Hi,

about to book a multi-city fare with a RT of SEA-HKG as part of it.

Was wondering if others here experienced this route for a comp upgrade. I am a GM and many times get upgraded on other intl flights which are often oversold. That said, I am unsure how full these flights get. West coasters have other choices other than SEA (LAX, SF for starters) so I assume it's not a big choice for connecting travelers. But, I dont know much. What are the chances for the flight to be fulll/oversold and business class seats given to medallions?

Any help on when to book in the week for this to happen will be appreciated as well. (I am pretty flexible with the dates)

thanks!
If they are flying DL it is now the only choice. DL's only flight to HKG now comes from SEA.

Don't count on an upgrade on this route or any other international route. As you noted they only happen when oversold, and then the priority is by medallion level and then fare class. A GM has very little shot at a UG on this route. But to give yourself a better chance ("better" meaning better than zero, but not much better), find a full flight on days that aren't common for business travelers.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HongKonger
If they are flying DL it is now the only choice. DL's only flight to HKG now comes from SEA.

Don't count on an upgrade on this route or any other international route. As you noted they only happen when oversold, and then the priority is by medallion level and then fare class. A GM has very little shot at a UG on this route. But to give yourself a better chance ("better" meaning better than zero, but not much better), find a full flight on days that aren't common for business travelers.
thank you for the info. I was certain there are DL flights from LAX and SF
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM

or, buy up to a YBM fare and upgrade with miles, as long as there is upgrade inventory. It will be worth the investment.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
or, buy up to a YBM fare and upgrade with miles, as long as there is upgrade inventory. It will be worth the investment.
just checked the YBM and with my multi city itinerary it outputs a fare of more than 6K, vs. the ~2K USD with lowest economy
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
just checked the YBM and with my multi city itinerary it outputs a fare of more than 6K, vs. the ~2K USD with lowest economy
Welcome to Delta!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL - Diamond. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum. Starwoods - Lifetime Platinum
A GM has very little shot at a UG on this route. But to give yourself a better chance ("better" meaning better than zero, but not much better), find a full flight on days that aren't common for business travelers.
And price being same as Z fare on slow days?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:38 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
ummm I would say your chances are just about 0 sorry.....
I fly TPAC all year, its the only thing I do. In the last 5 years as a DM I have had 1 upgrade do to oversold conditions from NRT-SEA out of 50 flights and 100 segments. Its like finding a leprechaun.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
I am a GM and many times get upgraded on other intl flights which are often oversold.
That is nearly impossible to believe. Many times?

How many times and to where?

On any major int'l route you are almost guaranteed to have at least several, if not more, PMs and DMs ahead of you.

Do share your experiences.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: Delta DM
I was curious about the complimentary upgrades on international flights as well. Since you specifically mentioned flights out of SEA, I'm flying SEA-NRT today and was thinking of asking the gate agent if there was any chance of getting one; there are 16 open seats as of right now up front. I'm GM so I'm not sure if that will get me anywhere or not. But, as my dad has always said, the answer is always "No" until you ask, right? Anyone think I have a shot or should I save my breath?

OPS
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by mattya9
I was curious about the complimentary upgrades on international flights as well. Since you specifically mentioned flights out of SEA, I'm flying SEA-NRT today and was thinking of asking the gate agent if there was any chance of getting one; there are 16 open seats as of right now up front. I'm GM so I'm not sure if that will get me anywhere or not. But, as my dad has always said, the answer is always "No" until you ask, right? Anyone think I have a shot or should I save my breath?

OPS
As stated many times, there are not complimentary UGs on international flights. DL will make operational upgrades (OpUp) if the Y cabin is oversold. Priority is usually by elite status and any DM/PM on the flight would be ahead of you.

If, on day of departure, DL is not selling seats for your flight, it could be a sign it might be oversold, but there are never any guarantees of an OpUp.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
There is nothing wrong with asking nicely, but don't expect anything... not to derail the discussion, but if there are empty seats up front and it isn't oversold in back, then non-rev standbys will get cleared into business so the cabin will most likely go out full.

Also for the OP... Delta hasn't flown any trans-pacific routes out of SFO for a while now, and LAX is only to NRT (or SYD).
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:23 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Keep in mind that DL has been offering many promotions to travelers based in SEA to earn status more quickly, so on top of all the reasons others have mentioned as for why this upgrade is unlikely, if there are any op-ups, GMs are at a disadvantage here since there are also going to be a greater share of PMs and DMs on this route than might otherwise normally be the case since SEA travelers are racking up status faster than others (and travelers who fly to Asia regularly rack up status faster than anyone, other than those who are getting MQD-ed out).
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM; Marriott Titanium
I took the SEA-HKG at the end of August on the A332 and got the op-up at the last minute due to, according to the GA, "weight and balance issues" on that bird. GA said on hot days, they've had issues. The flight was nearly full but not oversold.

That was a first for me. A welcome one, at that.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I've gotten an op-up twice this summer. Once as a GM and once as a PM. It was on the SEA-ICN route and the ICN-SEA route, both times economy was oversold and I was on a full Y fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.