Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta employee upgraded instead of me (Diamond)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

I took an international flight a couple days ago that didn't qualify for a Medallion Complimentary Upgrade, so I applied a System Wide Upgrade Request to my reservation.

I couldn't see the list of passengers waiting to be upgraded but it said there were 5 seats available in Business Class (btw does this mean they haven't been assigned or they haven't been sold?) and was never upgraded automatically by the system and my status was "Upgrade Requested" all the time. I called the Delta Diamond Medallion line and the lady said there were 4 seats available and thought the chances of me getting upgraded were close to 100%.

When I get to the gate they tell me there aren't any upgrades left and that Business Class is now full. I'm a Diamond with close to 1mill miles in my account so I found it hard to believe there were other Diamonds in front of me specially on this route.

So I questioned the Gate Agent and the supervisor comes. They tell me that my name was never on the Upgrade List and that's why they hadn't upgraded me. She also inadvertently says that there are two employees (Non Revs as they call them) that have been upgraded.

To make the long story short they sent one of the employees to coach and upgrade me.

Is this pretty bad? I appreciate they made it right, but hate to have to fight for it with the amount of flying I do with them.

Look forward to any comments or feedback.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:00 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
see the last 2 pages of the "shena" thread I had a similar thing happen to me.

I have also for some reason not had the upgrade attach right to my folio in the past, and I might be wrong here it goes buy SUG then fare class then medallion level for the upgrade, so if a PM is using a SUG in in booked in M and you a DM are using a SUG booked in k it would go to them first......I might be wrong here.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:07 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
First of all - - WELCOME to FlyerTalk - Delta forum!

The shortest answer, is, that if the gate agent (GA) can't see you on the upgrade (UG) list, for WHATEVER reason, you will be bypassed for the UG! That said, there are TONS of posts here about UG certificates that are not coded properly, which cause you to NOT appear on the UG list!

The main thing is, that, they made it right for you. Should you have to fight for it? - - ABSOULTELY NOT! But, I believe that most of us who post here are used to having to "LOOK OUT FOR NUMBER ONE", so to speak, when it comes to these things, and be proactive in these situations.

I do believe that the situation is IMPROVING, believe it or not, with these things. In the past, the GAs would "Take care of THEIR OWN", and leave you stuck in coach.

There's a post from a few days ago, where, someone's flight was goofed up in Portland, OR, and the GA and RedCoat would not UN-UPGRADE non-revs for a BusinessElite passenger. The pax called the Diamond desk from PDX airport. The Diamond desk MADE the RedCoat seat him in Biz Class! - - There he is! VegasJosh just posted above!

Last edited by davetravels; Oct 25, 2014 at 4:18 pm
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:15 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

it ws from the PDX airport but haha ya it happens......

Davetravels is right though, they do get coded weird and sometimes is straight up Shena as in my last case. Hard to say in this situation what one it was but it is good that you were on top of it and you did get what you should have. Its always hard to think it was on purpose cause its a pretty S****y thing to do, but it happens. When using the complicated SUG and delta system its always best to keep on top of things.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by VegasJosh
it ws from the PDX airport but haha ya it happens......
I fixed it!

Originally Posted by VegasJosh
Davetravels is right though, they do get coded weird and sometimes is straight up Shena as in my last case. Hard to say in this situation
I feel it's important to explain what Shena is to a FlyerTalk newbie . . . .

We use the term Shena, as a short version of Shenanigans. Shenanigans happens when . . . .

In the case of a domestic "Complimentary Medallion Upgrade", when the gate agent is dolling out the last few available seats, they are supposed to go to Medallions first - then, if any are left over (HAHA!) - non-revs can have them. GAs have been known to give them to their friends, family, or whoever, ahead of Medallions. When this happens, we say - Shena has made an appearance - or the GA is playing Shenanigans!

In the case of a certificate UG, it's a bit more of a grey area. As you say, you weren't on the UG list, so they may not have INTENTIONALLY bypassed you to for the upgrade seat to a non-rev. The cert may have been coded wrong.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments and welcome guys!

Feels good to read that I'm not the only one...

Also, I think I made a friend with the Red Coat (even though the individual wasn't wearing any red, but seemed to be the boss), and at the end we were laughing together. Hopefully that will help in the future.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:19 pm

So in the end the thread title is pretty misleading. Despite not being on the upgrade list, a non-rev was moved to make room for you, as they should have been. This is more of a cautionary tale to really make sure you double check that you are definitely on the standby or upgrade list to begin with.

Hope your next trip(s) go smoother, and welcome to Flyer Talk!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Another reason why the RUG and GUC are not worth the hassle. I will not take them again as my benefit.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:57 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Originally Posted by Readynow
Another reason why the RUG and GUC are not worth the hassle. I will not take them again as my benefit.
they are not all that bad you just need to get the confirmed upgrade at time of booking and that requires a lot of flexibility but I used 10 out of 12 this year
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:05 pm

So far, the GUCs are spoiling me from ever wanting to fly Y TATL, again!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
OP: Welcome to FT.

That supervisor did the right thing.

Happy travels.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:47 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Indigo1
When I get to the gate they tell me there aren't any upgrades left and that Business Class is now full. I'm a Diamond with close to 1mill miles in my account so I found it hard to believe there were other Diamonds in front of me specially on this route.
I always double check where I am on the "list" in the SkyClub. If that's not an option, probably best to arrive at the gate more than an hour prior to departure. I'm guessing, most people probably arrive more than an hour (at the airport) for international flights. I always leave myself a "bit" of extra time, if I'm expecting to clear for an upgrade (in AMS or USA). I do tend to cut it "very close," when I'm already confirmed in BusinessElite.

Definitely NOT a good idea, to wait to the last minute to ask about your upgrade (i.e. after Non-Revs have already been cleared). I must say, as others have noted, I am rather impressed with how Delta "made this right."

In Boston, the GIDs do show international upgrades. This does make it much easier to double check at the gate. Below, a pic of the "cleared list," BOS-AMS.

Old Oct 26, 2014, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by davetravels
I feel it's important to explain what Shena is to a FlyerTalk newbie . . . .

We use the term Shena, as a short version of Shenanigans. Shenanigans happens when . . . .

GAs have been known to give them to their friends, family, or whoever, ahead of Medallions. When this happens, we say - Shena has made an appearance - or the GA is playing Shenanigans!
And I believe Thomas Hudson first used as a verb as in " I was shenanagized"
Old Oct 26, 2014, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by davetravels
So far, the GUCs are spoiling me from ever wanting to fly Y TATL, again!
Those and Z fares !! ^
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
I always double check where I am on the "list" in the SkyClub. If that's not an option, probably best to arrive at the gate more than an hour prior to departure. I'm guessing, most people probably arrive more than an hour (at the airport) for international flights. I always leave myself a "bit" of extra time, if I'm expecting to clear for an upgrade (in AMS or USA). I do tend to cut it "very close," when I'm already confirmed in BusinessElite.

Definitely NOT a good idea, to wait to the last minute to ask about your upgrade (i.e. after Non-Revs have already been cleared). I must say, as others have noted, I am rather impressed with how Delta "made this right."

In Boston, the GIDs do show international upgrades. This does make it much easier to double check at the gate. Below, a pic of the "cleared list," BOS-AMS.

Is it possible to see upgrade list in advance on the Delta website or mobile App? ( on UA you can see upgrade info by name/seat) I believe 3 days in advance looking at Flight Ststus)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.