Wiki Posts
Search

I wish Delta could...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
I wish Delta could...

...I'm sure we all have a way (or six) to finish this prompt. Today I would answer that I wish there were a way that higher level elites could be guaranteed a non-middle seat on intercontinental flights--or at least a seat in Economy Comfort. Just booked a ticket ten days out and only seats that show open right now are in the back of the bus and in the middle on a 777. I'm sure most of the EC seats are occupied by elites, but there's got to be some way to hold seats for close-in bookings (which end up being far more expensive and lucrative than an EC seat fee).

Last edited by CGNC; Oct 24, 2014 at 7:59 am
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There is a way DL could do that - by blocking more seats for elites. You see the threads by non-elites complaining about how too many seats are unavailable for reservation, right? You see the whines from family travelers who want a block (of three, or four, or...) but don't want to pay EC fees?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Lack of good EC when booking close in annoys me, sure, but I've come to accept it as what I'm to expect for waiting to the last minute. Keep in mind I'm buying cheap fares anyway, so they're not earning any extra on my procrastination.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
...give us back the option to review bucket quantities.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Keep checking availability every day.

I've seen these move around quite a bit.

Also check at the gate, if the only seat showing availalbe for you is a middle at the back then the flight is probably pretty full, maybe even close to over sold - as many times all the coach seats are not assigned to non-preferred passengers - so they might have to bump up some elites to the front - you might get lucky and be one of them.

It's happened to me a few times, rare, but defintely nice when it does.

Good luck!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by QDDawg
Keep checking availability every day.

I've seen these move around quite a bit.

Also check at the gate, if the only seat showing availalbe for you is a middle at the back then the flight is probably pretty full, maybe even close to over sold - as many times all the coach seats are not assigned to non-preferred passengers - so they might have to bump up some elites to the front - you might get lucky and be one of them.

It's happened to me a few times, rare, but defintely nice when it does.

Good luck!
If GAs are upgrading elites out of order, with preference given to those without seat assignments or with bad seats in coach, this is JUST WRONG. You might have benefitted, but the GA stole that upgrade from another higher ranking elite on the flight.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Tried calling the DM to see if there's seats blocked for disabled/families? They could possibly put you in one of those, with the caveat that you may be bumped. At least that way you improve your odds of getting a EC seat.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Gold
have other breakfast options besides cold cereal or omelets!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If GAs are upgrading elites out of order, with preference given to those without seat assignments or with bad seats in coach, this is JUST WRONG. You might have benefitted, but the GA stole that upgrade from another higher ranking elite on the flight.
No, that's not how it was, I was actually in an exit row window on both occasions, my preferred seat option due to leg room.

I was "bumped" up because of my status - and they were overbooked in coach, I guess not as many DM's on the flight, but didn't know and didn't ask, just said Thank you!

That in turn left my exit row seat open to be reassigned.

So I was suggesting the OP keep an eye on the seats everyday for openings and if the flight is infact oversold in Coach - depending on his status - check with the gate agent and he might get the bump - or at least to check if someone else got it and a better seat opened up, other than middle back.

I don't believe in my cases any SHENA's happened, just got lucky
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by QDDawg
No, that's not how it was, I was actually in an exit row window on both occasions, my preferred seat option due to leg room.

I was "bumped" up because of my status - and they were overbooked in coach, I guess not as many DM's on the flight, but didn't know and didn't ask, just said Thank you!

That in turn left my exit row seat open to be reassigned.

So I was suggesting the OP keep an eye on the seats everyday for openings and if the flight is infact oversold in Coach - depending on his status - check with the gate agent and he might get the bump - or at least to check if someone else got it and a better seat opened up, other than middle back.

I don't believe in my cases any SHENA's happened, just got lucky
Its true--it does happen. In fact my last US-AMS flight I was op-uped due to an oversell in coach and they just took DMs and moved them up. Keeping my fingers crossed--this is a Sunday night ATL-AMS and the whole seat map looks pretty full. Here's hoping for the best!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:39 am
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
a lot of it I think is due to 2pax wanting all 3 seats and booking isle and window and hoping nobody wants the middle seat, figure out how to stop that and there will be a lot more isle and window seats....

"I wish Delta could...." stop themselves from changing same day confirm and standby every 45 minutes, Richard Anderson can't even figure out whats going with that anymore.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I wish Delta could...

Find a way to consistently ice down a can of beer so that it's not 60 degrees Fahrenheit when served to me.

I mean, they can calculate how much fuel it takes to fly ATL-JNB and they can't consistently cover a tray of beer with the proper quantify of ice?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
carrying more ice to properly chill your beer adds more weight to the jet, and that changes their fuel calculations

Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Air Houston
Find a way to consistently provide a decent beer on their flights...
Fixed that for you.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
I wish Delta could...

Allow international first class mileage award tickets on other SkyTeam carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.