Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Battlefield upgrade while using Upgrade Certificate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond

I'm flying JFK - LAS tomorrow. Last week I called the platinum line to use upgrade certificates on both flights. They were able to upgrade me immediately for the trip back to JFK, but on the trip to LAS, they said there were no upgrades available and I just had to wait and see.

The person on the phone also said that if it comes down to the battlefield, to call up and have them remove the Upgrade Certificate off of this flight, because by the time the upgrade list appears on the screen at the gate, Upgrade Certificates no longer matter and they will only be upgrading in order of highest medallion first. Is this really the case? Has anyone ever removed a certificate at the battlefield?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.3MM & a bunch of other programs...
Originally Posted by HarryLime
...Upgrade Certificates no longer matter and they will only be upgrading in order of highest medallion first.
This is incorrect. A SWU, RU, or GU puts you ahead of Medaillion complimentary upgrades. I forget the exact coding, but I know a DM on one of those should be UP2A. I've even added one to a trip at T-60 or less and jumped to the top of the list.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SeaClay007
This is incorrect. A SWU, RU, or GU puts you ahead of Medaillion complimentary upgrades. I forget the exact coding, but I know a DM on one of those should be UP2A. I've even added one to a trip at T-60 or less and jumped to the top of the list.
IIRC the upgrade priority codes have recently changed, but using a SWU/GUC/RUC should still put you at the top of the list.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Except for any DMs using SWU/RUC/GUC.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
I applied a RUC about 1 hour before departure of my first segment. I called delta, and they had to take me off the 'normal' upgrade list, then add me back on with the RUC. I immediately jumped to #1 on the list on both segments.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
I applied a RUC about 1 hour before departure of my first segment. I called delta, and they had to take me off the 'normal' upgrade list, then add me back on with the RUC. I immediately jumped to #1 on the list on both segments.
Glad this worked out but it seems risky doing this just an hour prior to departure. Wouldn't it have been possible for the GA to have processed all medallion upgrades around the same time and then just seconds later your RUC is applied, moving you to #1 but with no remaining FC seats left? I'm thinking 2 hours before is a good balancing between seeing whether you'll really need a RUC and applying it in time to actually jump the list. I haven't used one of these yet so would appreciate hearing others' strategies.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Glad this worked out but it seems risky doing this just an hour prior to departure. Wouldn't it have been possible for the GA to have processed all medallion upgrades around the same time and then just seconds later your RUC is applied, moving you to #1 but with no remaining FC seats left? I'm thinking 2 hours before is a good balancing between seeing whether you'll really need a RUC and applying it in time to actually jump the list. I haven't used one of these yet so would appreciate hearing others' strategies.
First segment was out of CMH, pretty small airport. It was still pretty early at the gate, plus I first asked the GA about it. At that point I was #6 on the list, with 3 seats available.
I would agree about the 2 hours, but this was my first ever use of a RUC, and was only gonna use it if I got the actual upgrades. Before applying the RUC I asked the delta rep on the phone if applying the RUC would put me on top of the list (as in: no other RUC's applied at that point). She did, so I put in the RUC. Happy all worked as intended.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
There is a small risk sure but 99% of the time the GA working the flight doesn't even arrive at the gate until T-60 minutes. So there is no one at the gate to process the upgrade list.

Also by waiting until T-60 minutes, you have the advantage of seeing where you land (hah!) on the complimentary medallion upgrade list. If you're out of the money, you can call up and apply the RU.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by mridley2
There is a small risk sure but 99% of the time the GA working the flight doesn't even arrive at the gate until T-60 minutes. So there is no one at the gate to process the upgrade list.

Also by waiting until T-60 minutes, you have the advantage of seeing where you land (hah!) on the complimentary medallion upgrade list. If you're out of the money, you can call up and apply the RU.
That doesn't always work out. Tried it once when I was #1 for 4 seats at 6 hr to go to #3 for 1 at 1 hr and they were having "issues" processing the cert over the phone. I sat on the phone with them for over 30 mins when the UG list was processed and I was SOL.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
I had this exact thing happen to me two weeks ago. Forgot to check the UG list until I got to the airport (T-1, maybe even T-80 minutes). Saw I was 2 for 1 seat. Called in, had the SWU applied, but the GA cleared #1 while I was on the phone. Ended up #1 for 0 seats...just where I would have been with no SWU.

Billy's advise is sound. 7 AM TCON flight - wish I had followed it.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:36 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by SeaClay007
Me too! I called about 80 minutes to departure on a JFK-PHX flight I was #5 for 1 seat....and it shot me all the way to the top and I got the UG at the gate.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL DM
I'm flying JFK - LAS tomorrow. Last week I called the platinum line to use upgrade certificates on both flights. They were able to upgrade me immediately for the trip back to JFK, but on the trip to LAS, they said there were no upgrades available and I just had to wait and see.

The person on the phone also said that if it comes down to the battlefield, to call up and have them remove the Upgrade Certificate off of this flight, because by the time the upgrade list appears on the screen at the gate, Upgrade Certificates no longer matter and they will only be upgrading in order of highest medallion first. Is this really the case? Has anyone ever removed a certificate at the battlefield?
As someone else mentioned, this is completely incorrect information. I used a SWU yesterday MSP/RSW. ONE seat left in first at check in. I appeared as Number One on the upgrade list all the way to the gate. (There were over 40 people on the upgrade list). Two minutes before boarding, they called my name and I cleared for the last seat. Battlefield upgrade without SWU, I would have easily fallen to 5 or 10 on the list, I am sure
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
That doesn't always work out. Tried it once when I was #1 for 4 seats at 6 hr to go to #3 for 1 at 1 hr and they were having "issues" processing the cert over the phone. I sat on the phone with them for over 30 mins when the UG list was processed and I was SOL.
No, actually you were SIC.

David
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM

Shamefully wrong - that agent should be fired. I'm so tired of these agents not knowing what to do with these RUC/SWUs.

Very important to look at your spot on the upgrade list using the app. Often times even though it is applied it isn't done correctly.

If you're not #1, you should send DeltaTwitter a message and ask them to confirm you are applied correctly. (yes, you aren't necessarily #1, but in most cases you will be, so if I'm not #1 I call and let them confirm)
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
Thanks for the input, guys. Right now I'm #1 out of 18 for an upgrade with 0 first class seats remaining, so I don't have high hopes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.