Wiki Posts
Search

Y fare not clearing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Y fare not clearing

An upcoming work trip just got ticketed, and per our contract, flights are booked as Y fares. My routes are LGA-MSP-DSM and reverse. Shortly after I received the ticketing notice from the travel agency, I went to check my seats and saw that the MSP/DSM legs had already been upgraded (RU as a GM), but both of my LGA/MSP legs are still sitting as Y, even though there are plenty of seats still open up front. Is this something just weird with the system that will require me to call the desk tomorrow, or could there be some weird fare rule that won't let me upgrade at booking? Unfortunately on my first flight all the EC seats are already gone so I don't even have that great of a back up seat.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:08 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
Y-Up fares are great sometimes there is no UP though....could be all seats taken and not assigned, I know often times on my normal NRT-SEA J seats show available on the seat map but it is sold out, I know some travel agents and companies overseas dont assign seats for some reason
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, HiltonHHonors Gold, Hertz PC (thru DL)
Upgrades can only clear when there is inventory in the correct bucket. Sounds like there isn't inventory open on your LGA-MSP legs yet. When there is, you should be pretty much first in line.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP apparently purchased a full Y fare, not Y-UP. This has priority over all other fare classes regardless of FF elite tier, but upgrades still require upgrade inventory RU/OU. For gate upgrades, Y fares rank below instrument supported upgrades and displaced passengers who have purchased FC fares, but even a FO on a Y fare is above a DM on a B class ticket.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Huh, didn't realize that being upgraded "At booking"/"Ticketing" for Y still required RU buckets to be open...I thought that was generally during the upgrade sweeps beginning with the 5 day out. I suppose I'll sit tight for another few days and see what happens.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mahka42
Huh, didn't realize that being upgraded "At booking"/"Ticketing" for Y still required RU buckets to be open...I thought that was generally during the upgrade sweeps beginning with the 5 day out. I suppose I'll sit tight for another few days and see what happens.
Sure, full Y fares have some advantages but think about it…

If they were always automatic UG’s F at time of booking, why would anyone ever buy F?

Be patient, you are at the top of the list.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wouldn't really be any difference between F and Y if they only required F1 in order to bump you up to F from Y.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by mahka42
yeah misleading information by Virginia. Upgrade at booking if upgrade inventory is available.
LGA-MSP... tough route for an upgrade even on saturday AM so this one will likely go to the gate for a BFUG. But you should be near the top of the list. Unfortunately you might be #2 in line for 1 or even 0 seats. Good luck!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Sure, full Y fares have some advantages but think about it…

If they were always automatic UG’s F at time of booking, why would anyone ever buy F?.
Because GAP is often cheaper than Y. But, I agree, DL has no reason to always UG at booking.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Profchemnerd
Because GAP is often cheaper than Y. But, I agree, DL has no reason to always UG at booking.
.....it's only cheaper if you can be reimbursed for it.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Profchemnerd
The other problems with cheaper GAP fares is they are generally not refundable. Also not as flexible for SDC and sometimes pax on GAP fares, as reported here, actually end up in the back.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:19 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mridley2
yeah misleading information by Virginia. Upgrade at booking if upgrade inventory is available.
LGA-MSP... tough route for an upgrade even on saturday AM so this one will likely go to the gate for a BFUG. But you should be near the top of the list. Unfortunately you might be #2 in line for 1 or even 0 seats. Good luck!
MSP/LGA routes are often booked out with purchased first class. Upgrades are difficult, if not impossible. You will often see F=0. As said, while you might be on the top of the list, there will likely not been any F seats available at all.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
I don't know that it is really misleading, I just think some folks don't understand the disclaimers about availability. It does come as a surprise to refugees from Mr. $mi$ek, as I think fully Y upgrades on UA clear if any seat is available.
Unfortunately you might be #2 in line for 1 or even 0 seats. Good luck!
That's my reserved position for ATL-LAX, though I have often been #1 for None (that's my slogan).

David
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I don't know that it is really misleading, I just think some folks don't understand the disclaimers about availability. It does come as a surprise to refugees from Mr. $mi$ek, as I think fully Y upgrades on UA clear if any seat is available.
That's my reserved position for ATL-LAX, though I have often been #1 for None (that's my slogan).

David
same here when I flew ATL-LAX on 777 and LAX-ATL on 767 two weeks ago. Both on Y fare

ATL-LAX was #2 or 3 out of 0 seats available; but I got LAX-ATL - where I was #2 out of 3 seats available.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
MSP/LGA routes are often booked out with purchased first class. Upgrades are difficult, if not impossible. You will often see F=0. As said, while you might be on the top of the list, there will likely not been any F seats available at all.
+1

Especially the A320/A319's. And LGA is heavily FCM'd. I have not got a UG on that route in almost 2 yrs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.