Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"check-in required" on D-D SEA cxn?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
"check-in required" on D-D SEA cxn?

Is Alaska still part of the U.S., or did we sell it to China last night?

Connecting in SEA tomorrow DTW X/SEA ANC. DTW-SEA BP printed fine, then "connection information document" with not even a seat request card for SEA-ANC. Itin still shows correct seat. DL metal, not Alaska.

"NOT VALID FOR BOARDING" and "check-in required"? "Please proceed directly to the gate or ticket counter of your connecting airline to check in for your flight and receive boarding documents." Really?

Hibbing has no idea. Any experience, theories, thoughts?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:22 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AKC6

Connecting in SEA tomorrow DTW X/SEA ANC. DTW-SEA BP printed fine, then "connection information document" with not even a seat request card for SEA-ANC. Itin still shows correct seat. DL metal, not Alaska.

"NOT VALID FOR BOARDING" and "check-in required"? "Please proceed directly to the gate or ticket counter of your connecting airline to check in for your flight and receive boarding documents." Really?

How much time do you have in SEA? How many hours between when you checked in and your SEA-ANC flight?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could the OP be getting SSSS?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
maybe, maybe not

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could the OP be getting SSSS?
Pre-check on the originating flt. Never heard of the dreaded SSSS on a cxn only; maybe Pistole's revenge.

Originally Posted by TTT
How much time do you have in SEA? How many hours between when you checked in and your SEA-ANC flight?
Good thought. Hour and a half, so it was more than 24 hours (I still check in at T-23:59, a habit from back when it mattered). I'll try again at T-24.

But when I've flown HNL X/ATL XXX, I've checked in 34 hours before the cxn, with never a problem.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:51 am

The only thing I can think of is that you might have a broken fare in SEA so DL.com reads it as two separate flights as opposed to a connection.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Recently I couldn't print boarding passes and got SSSS on an international segment followed by PreCheck on the domestic connection. TSA logic happened here.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:02 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Pre-check on the originating flt. Never heard of the dreaded SSSS on a cxn only; maybe Pistole's revenge.

Good thought. Hour and a half, so it was more than 24 hours (I still check in at T-23:59, a habit from back when it mattered). I'll try again at T-24.

But when I've flown HNL X/ATL XXX, I've checked in 34 hours before the cxn, with never a problem.
Hour and a half shouldn't matter. If you had 4+ hours that would be considered a stopover and might cause you to be unable to check-in.

Sorry, I've got nothing.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
It has happened to me before, the reason given by a Delta Agent was that this could happen if not all the segments were inside the check-in window.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott GE

Are you using a upgrade certificate? I tried to use one last week on my first segment and it put a block on checking in for my second segment. Try calling DL and have them uncheck you in and then recheck in.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by sngorman
Are you using a upgrade certificate? I tried to use one last week on my first segment and it put a block on checking in for my second segment. Try calling DL and have them uncheck you in and then recheck in.

This has happened to me twice in the past month, and both times it was because I had applied a regional upgrade certificate to the first leg, but not for the second leg. I've got a thread with screenshots from both instances.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

bug or feature?

Originally Posted by B7e7US
It has happened to me before, the reason given by a Delta Agent was that this could happen if not all the segments were inside the check-in window.
That was the reason given when the GA fixed it, but she was clearly confused by the document that printed.
But I think the two following guys have it right:

Originally Posted by sngorman
That was my situation. Cert cleared at booking on one segment, waitlisted on the other. BP printed for the WL segment, not for the next one that cleared at booking. Tried to check in at T-14h, still got the same document.

Originally Posted by roknroll
This has happened to me twice in the past month, and both times it was because I had applied a regional upgrade certificate to the first leg, but not for the second leg. I've got a thread with screenshots from both instances.
Missed your thread (link?), but my cert was WL on one segment--if that's what you meant by "unapplied" (instead of a short segment you didn't want to waste a cert on, or one you knew would clear without a cert), we were in the same boat.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I usually try to zen through whichever UG's I get, but this was too strange. Now I think we know what's happening.

Cue the chorus, "This isn't a bug; it's a feature."
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Even though this thread is old this happened to me during check in today. Happy 4th everyone!! So I am doing a convoluted trip to earn some extra miles and to see family in Portland(PDX). PNS->ATL->JFK->SEA->PDX all in paid first. So I go to check in on the mobile app and a pop up comes up that says "Since you have more than 3 flights you cannot get an e-boarding pass" It would not let me check in. I'm like, what??? So I head straight to my computer to check in and it works like normal until I go to print my boarding pass and the last flight from SEA->PDX I got the: "**Connection Information Document** Check In Required NOT VALID FOR BOARDING that started this thread. Of course I came here first to find more information and found this thread. But since I am not using any type of upgrade or certificates then that wasn't the problem. Gave Delta a call and the agent I spoke with was very knowledgeable about this. She basically said that their system thinks that I am having a stopover in Seattle even though all my flights are on the same day. She told me that I still have my seat and that I would be able to online check in tonight at 8:50PM PDT (scheduled departure time tomorrow from SEA). Just wanted to let everyone know what this means if you see it. Also posting the image of the printout below.

Last edited by AeRoSpaceman; Jul 4, 2018 at 9:11 am
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:45 am

Delete
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
Even though this thread is old this happened to me during check in today. Happy 4th everyone!! So I am doing a convoluted trip to earn some extra miles and to see family in Portland(PDX). PNS->ATL->JFK->SEA->PDX all in paid first. So I go to check in on the mobile app and a pop up comes up that says "Since you have more than 3 flights you cannot get an e-boarding pass" It would not let me check in. I'm like, what??? So I head straight to my computer to check in and it works like normal until I go to print my boarding pass and the last flight from SEA->PDX I got the: "**Connection Information Document** Check In Required NOT VALID FOR BOARDING that started this thread. Of course I came here first to find more information and found this thread. But since I am not using any type of upgrade or certificates then that wasn't the problem. Gave Delta a call and the agent I spoke with was very knowledgeable about this. She basically said that their system thinks that I am having a stopover in Seattle even though all my flights are on the same day. She told me that I still have my seat and that I would be able to online check in tonight at 8:50PM PDT (scheduled departure time tomorrow from SEA). Just wanted to let everyone know what this means if you see it. Also posting the image of the printout below.

Nothing new. Not sure why needed to zombify a four year old thread over something that prints out regularly. It even tells you that it means you need to still checkin.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Nothing new. Not sure why needed to zombify a four year old thread over something that prints out regularly. It even tells you that it means you need to still checkin.
Yeah but the delta agent I spoke with on the phone said that I should be able to check in online tonight for that last segment when the 24 hour clock hits for that flight. So the app is telling me one thing and the agent who said she "sees this all the time" is telling me I won't have to check in at the airport. Just conflicting information and was hoping to get some clarification. Just worried that they will give my seat away as I have never experienced this issue before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.