Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to use miles LAX - Paris

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Best way to use miles LAX - Paris

I'm taking a trip to Paris next summer, then hopping over to either Dublin or London for a few days. A month or so ago, I had seen award tickets for 77,000 r/t flying into Paris from LAX and out of London. Checking now, I see nothing near that. I am planning my trip for 6/26 and returning on 7/5. What are my best options to get as much as I can out of my mileage and what are the chances the 77,000 will reappear for those dates? Can I book Air France seats using my DSM? They have flights at significantly lower points right now. I seem to be getting conflicting information on redeeming awards on partner airlines, such as Air France.

I'm planning on going LAX to Paris and then either Dublin or London back to LAX for the return flight.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
even on an award ticket, you will pay ridiculously high departure taxes leaving London for the US
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If you redeem DL miles, you do so at DL miles levels according to DL rules. Yes, saver level awards on AF can be had for DL miles. Book online or by phone.

As noted, you would save a lot of taxes by flying into London and departing from (not UK).

Care to cite the sources of conflicting info?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
even on an award ticket, you will pay ridiculously high departure taxes leaving London for the US
Exactly. I would try and reverse your itinerary if possible and fly into Dublin or London and fly back home out of Paris. You will definitely save some money
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

I think I'll more than likely fly back out of Dublin instead of London. Taxes are the same flying out of Dublin as well? I dont know that I can change my dates, which is a bummer. Sources are other threads on this forum and anywhere google takes you. I have seen several places that say I can redeem an award on Air France for their mileage levels through Delta.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
This is a good place to start for award travel when redeeming SkyMiles.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...d-travel.html#

Delta miles are redeemed according to Delta's award chart. http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-s-canada.html

Flying Blue (the award program of Air France) miles are redeemed according to the Flying Blue charts.

Somebody else can discuss world geography.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

so the taxes aren't specific to London, it's all UK airports. That's good to know.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Your are booking in high travel season. I did the same thing last summer. I called everyday for two weeks until I found the seats I wanted at the mileage level I wanted to pay. I would suggest calling and not using the website if you have the time, and ask what is open and available to book. For June of 2015, things are probably changing a lot right now and I think it's worth keeping a close eye for 2 to 3 weeks and seeing if something good opens up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.