Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-SYD & transferring at SYD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles Platinum Medallion
LAX-SYD & transferring at SYD

I have an upcoming trip requiring a connection at SYD. I am flying LAX-SYD on DL417 and then flying SYD-MEL on DL7269 (Virgin Australia operated).

What should I prepare for when connecting at SYD?

I have 1hr and 50mins for the connection. Does this involve a terminal change outside of security, from the international terminal to the domestic terminal? The trip was booked as one itinerary through DL.

Also, for the DL417 trip, I am in seat 29A. Tips from FTers who have recently done the 15 hour flight in that seat?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:50 am

Basically you can expect the following:
- Clearing immigration
- Collecting luggage from baggage claim
- Clearing customs
- Proceed to the transfer desk where they'll recheck your luggage, provide your domestic boarding pass, and provide a bus pass
- Take the bus (right outside of the transfer desk) to the domestic terminal
- Clear domestic security

Personally I think 1 hour 50 minutes is tight but I suppose it's doable. Due to the number of international flights arriving all at the same time it's not unheard of immigration and customs taking an hour or more (presuming you don't have an express pass).
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
the above plus

after customs go to the left side and exit then make another left and you will see the Virgin domestic checkin. GM allowed to priority line I think. If its busy it can be 60 min from gate to gate, I have done it in under 20 but was first off plane and the bus was waiting.

You should be fine.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by AgentCooper
Basically you can expect the following:
- Clearing immigration
- Collecting luggage from baggage claim
- Clearing customs
- Proceed to the transfer desk where they'll recheck your luggage, provide your domestic boarding pass, and provide a bus pass
- Take the bus (right outside of the transfer desk) to the domestic terminal
- Clear domestic security

Personally I think 1 hour 50 minutes is tight but I suppose it's doable. Due to the number of international flights arriving all at the same time it's not unheard of immigration and customs taking an hour or more (presuming you don't have an express pass).
If the OP is GE he/she should be able to use SmartGate.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL DM
If you have GE, it will help. You can use the automatic system (SmartGate?), although it didn't work for me a couple weeks ago. The line was short regardless.

I think you'll be fine. However, I have GE and rarely check bags. The bus takes a while.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by dtwtransport
I have an upcoming trip requiring a connection at SYD. I am flying LAX-SYD on DL417 and then flying SYD-MEL on DL7269 (Virgin Australia operated).

What should I prepare for when connecting at SYD?

I have 1hr and 50mins for the connection. Does this involve a terminal change outside of security, from the international terminal to the domestic terminal? The trip was booked as one itinerary through DL.

Also, for the DL417 trip, I am in seat 29A. Tips from FTers who have recently done the 15 hour flight in that seat?
I just got here on 417 this morning, 32C Econ Com. Is 29 the bulkhead row? Seats are not bad, I had enough legroom and was able to sleep. You should be fine. After you leave LA and dinner is served, lights are dimmed. Sleep as long as you can. Then sleep again, lol. It isn't that bad really
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
It's tight but do-able. Follow the instructions posted by others upthread. I took DL 417 a week or so ago and it was one of the first int'l arrivals so immigration was quick and easy.

The seat itself was okay, but expect crappy food, minimal amenities and borderline-pathetic entertainment options. QF and VA are much better in coach on US-Aust flights. Eat in the terminal at LAX prior to departure, bring a good book and/or iPad, and sleep as much as possible.

Last edited by mAAine_flyer; Oct 20, 2014 at 4:47 pm
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
dupe post
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
If the OP is GE he/she should be able to use SmartGate.
You can use SmartGate without the Global Entry.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5555.asp#e2013

If you hold an Australian, New Zealand, United Kingdom, United States of America or Singaporean ePassport and you are aged 16 years or over.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, million miler
I did a change to a domestic virgin australia a few months ago in Sydney. It was very stressful. Plane arrived late from LAX. Lines in customs in Sydney were horrible. Despite being platinum medallion, bags were last off the plane. Had to go through ag inspections too because we brought granola bars into the country. We made our 2 hour 30 minute connection because va called those with close flights to move to the front of the line. Next time: minimum of 3 plus hours in between flights. Challenged returning via Sydney as well. Again, long lines in customs leaving Australia. Glad we landed early in Sydney. We needed every minute there. Seat 29a is good. I like to look out a window and you can still get out of he row without too many issues.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K
I did it with a 1 hour 25 min connection a couple weeks ago, and it was definitely tight. I used the SmartGate and only had a carry on. There was quite a queue to exit customs. As stated above, follow the signs toward the left to the Virgin transfer desk. They will give you a boarding pass if you don't get it in LA and a ticket for the bus to the domestic terminal. I waited about 10-15 min for the bus and then it's about a 5-10 min ride over to the other terminal. Luckily, Australian domestic security is a breeze and the Virgin gates are not a far walk.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles Platinum Medallion
Thanks

Thanks for the info. There are flights every hour from SYD to MEL so if I misconnect hopefully I can get on the next flight.

For those who have flown LAX-SYD in Y... how full do the planes typically get on these long haul routes? I know from reading here over the years not to trust the DL seat map.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:31 am

Thanks for the info. There are flights every hour from SYD to MEL so if I misconnect hopefully I can get on the next flight.

For those who have flown LAX-SYD in Y... how full do the planes typically get on these long haul routes? I know from reading here over the years not to trust the DL seat map.
From my experience they are usually quite full, somehow I have gotten the empty middle seat on most flights but the cabin otherwise appears to be 90% occupied.

FWIW when you go to Australia leave food behind, any food. You can easily get anything edible at a store in Australia. Even beef jerky. DL is pretty good at making announcements about leaving food given by the airline on board and if you tick that you are bringing in food you're likely going to be inspected.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: DL-DM; Hertz 5 Star; Hilton Gold; Kayak hater.
I'll leave this nugget here since no one has mentioned it and I was witness to this event for an unfortunate passenger. 100% CHECK to make sure your visa is valid! they make it very easy to do so on their website. One man who had his processed electronically for some reason it did not show up in their system. He was immediately booked on the return flight no questions asked.

Also A+ on the food. Last trip down to Oz passengers were sharing deer jerky with the entire EC section. Quite tasty.

Also typically PM's and DM's get a fast pass through customs. You are normally one of the first flights in but this time of year favorable winds typically delay DL 417 due to sequencing. Baggage is the worst but I think you will make it. Just ask for help if you get lost. Aussies are very friendly. One time i got lost and ended up on the subway. The bus is nice but remember you have to go through security again.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by LorynDM
One man who had his processed electronically for some reason it did not show up in their system. He was immediately booked on the return flight no questions asked.
Wow, I find this surprising. No doubt the Aussie authorities would send you back without a valid visa/ETA (and you can't request one once you've arrived) but all the times I've taken this route Delta has verified the validity prior to leaving LAX in order to avoid this situation altogether.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.