Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Years of being Diamond trump Fare Class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Years of being Diamond trump Fare Class?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by relangford
One too many Silvers at the end the list (sorry). I meant I stayed Silver. I looked back at my files and saw 2005 S; 2006 S; 2007 G; 2008 P; 2009 D; 2010 G; 2011 S; 2012 G; 2013 S; and 2014 S (I was between G and S in a number of years before that while living in China). Joined SkyMiles sometime in the 1970s, so all my miles in the 1960s didn't count.
There weren't any FF programs in the 1960s or 1970s. In fact, IIRC Randy Petersen credits AA for starting the first FF program in 1981, with other legacy USA carriers following during the next few years.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: Delta 2 million miler, DM
What I recieved from Delta. Read the last sentence.

As a Diamond Medallion member, you receive unlimited complimentary
upgrades which are subject to availability. They may not be available
on all flights or in all markets and are not valid for travel to/from,
or to Transatlantic or Transpacific destinations. Complimentary
upgrades are not available on flights to/from South American cities that
are serviced with our BusinessElite product (i.e., Buenos Aires,
Argentina; Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo, Brazil; Santiago, Chile; Lima,
Peru; Caracas, Venezuela). For travel booked using a SkyMiles Companion
Certificate, neither the paid primary passenger nor the companion
passenger will be eligible for complimentary upgrades.

When making reservations on delta.com, over the phone, at the airport,
or through a travel agent, members will receive an automatic
complimentary upgrade request. Once the reservation is ticketed, the
upgrade will be cleared based on the confirmation window, availability,
fare class, and time of request.

If available, upgrades for all Medallions (Diamond, Platinum, Gold, and
Silver) are cleared at time of ticketing for Y class fares. For Diamond
Medallions, they clear 5 calendar days in advance for B, M, S, H, Q, K,
L, U, T, X, V and E class fares. Clearance starts with B class and
continues in descending order. If Medallion level and fare class are
equal, time of ticketing will be the tie breaker.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is awkwardly stated and doesn't reflect the upcoming change that E fares won't be upgradeable. Maybe it's technical, but the tiebreaker should be time of upgrade request which is often but not necessarily the same as time of ticketing.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Another example of either a phone agent who doesn't know and doesn't know what he/she doesn't know OR a phone agent just making up stuff to save time or avoid having to find out an answer.
This, +1

Originally Posted by PRWeezer
Your friend may want to study up on that.

Per AMEX - Delta Reserve Card Benefit Terms:
Upgrade Priority on Delta: Increased Upgrade Priority within Medallion tier and fare class is applicable only to primary Card Member and within the Complimentary Medallion Upgrade Program. Airport Paid Standby Program and Mileage Award Upgrades are not eligible.

https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...4#cardbenefits
And don't forget that DL used to and still probably does give more availability to those with Amex cards, with the highest card (Reserve) probably getting the best availability. DL is married to Amex.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I'm pretty certain you didn't join Skymiles in the 70's, as it didn't exist.
^ The original Delta Frequent Flier program (not Skymiles) was started in 1981. Though the FC program was in effect before then.

http://www.insideflyer.com/articles/...e.php?key=2926

David
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by DougSkymiles
My conversation with him about this was over a year ago, and I only ask because it was being heavily discussed on this forum. It's not that important to me , whether the AMEX Reserve helps or not. I guess we can all just believe what we want about how it actually works. Thanks
Not saying you're wrong, but when one poster says "here's a link to the policy" and another poster says "I spoke to my friend a year ago", I'll go with the documentation over the rumor.

On a related note, a couple of years ago I split up a couple on the UG list. There were (IIRC) 6 open seats. The husband was #5 on the list, I was #6, and the wife was #7. Husband was very confused, as he and his wife were on the same PNR. The GA basically said "the computer sorts the list, so it must be right". Given that it was exceedingly unlikely that I purchased my ticket in between their two tickets, the only logical explanation was that the husband had an Amex and so was bumped ahead of me on the list (same fare class, but I purchased my ticket first).

Needless to say, of the three of us only the husband sat in coach
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by bennos
On a related note, a couple of years ago I split up a couple on the UG list. There were (IIRC) 6 open seats. The husband was #5 on the list, I was #6, and the wife was #7. Husband was very confused, as he and his wife were on the same PNR. The GA basically said "the computer sorts the list, so it must be right". Given that it was exceedingly unlikely that I purchased my ticket in between their two tickets, the only logical explanation was that the husband had an Amex and so was bumped ahead of me on the list (same fare class, but I purchased my ticket first).

Needless to say, of the three of us only the husband sat in coach
On several occasions Mrs. TrojanTraveler and I have been separated on the upgrade list. Same PNR, same status, and neither of us have the Reserve card. There can be IT issues with the upgrade list.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:44 am

If this was the gate upgrade list, and not some list for upgrades at the window that agents supposedly cannot see, being on the same PNR doesn't matter then as companions are prioritized according to their own rank at that time. If the wife had lower status, this would have been correct.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I'm pretty certain you didn't join Skymiles in the 70's, as it didn't exist.
Unlike AA, which shows my start date, DL doesn't, so I'm not sure of the exact date, maybe in mid-1980s. Since I am getting old, my memory is getting bad. In any case, I joined the first year (a friend was a DL employee who told me about "a new program" over the Flying Colonels and like the AA program).
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There weren't any FF programs in the 1960s or 1970s. In fact, IIRC Randy Petersen credits AA for starting the first FF program in 1981, with other legacy USA carriers following during the next few years.
I personally met the AA guy who started their program and the Delta guy who started their program at the same time. This was also when I met Kevin Pinto before he became world famous here at Flyertalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.